Sox sign Melky Cabrera

GGajewski18

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 08:08 PM)
First post here:

With the recent signing of LaRoche, I think we as fans can all but rule out a Pablo Sandoval signing. Main reason why I say this is because LF, RHSP and bullpen help are all much larger needs.

With that being said, I feel that Melky would be a great signing (even with the 2nd round compensation).

Imagine the top part of the lineup being:

Eaton

Cabrera

Abreu

LaRoche

Garcia.

That's a pretty potent top part to the lineup.

Aoki is another LF FA I would seriously consider.

I like that lineup. Just need to hope there is a little more money for an RHP in the rotation and need to get lucky on bullpen.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)
I like that lineup. Just need to hope there is a little more money for an RHP in the rotation and need to get lucky on bullpen.

in the beginning of the offseason, didn't Hahn say that the sox may have more money

if needed. something about extra money from the TV deal.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 07:53 AM)
Trust me, I don't want to give Headley $14M to $15M a year, but that's likely what he'll get in this market.

I really want Headley's defense on the White Sox but I'm starting to second guess the idea because of the potential salary and contract. Will Headley's bat and defense be worth the extra 13/14M per year? Im really doubting it. The Sox still have Gillaspie at league minimum for one more season before he starts his arbitration years in 2016. Gillaspie is just 27, might be worth the wait and see what kind of improvements he can make in 2015.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)
I really want Headley's defense on the White Sox but I'm starting to second guess the idea because of the potential salary and contract. Will Headley's bat and defense be worth the extra 13/14M per year? Im really doubting it. The Sox still have Gillaspie at league minimum for one more season before he starts his arbitration years in 2016. Gillaspie is just 27, might be worth the wait and see what kind of improvements he can make in 2015.

that is the main point at least for me. the sox can deal with Conor and use that money somewhere

else. esp if the sox are on a budget, they may be getting close to that upper limit allowed.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)
that is the main point at least for me. the sox can deal with Conor and use that money somewhere

else. esp if the sox are on a budget, they may be getting close to that upper limit allowed.

Yeah, I think I'd rather see the Sox try to get a good LF with some pop and preferably left handed hitting. Would love me some Travis Snider in the White Sox LF.

One potential platoon partner for LaRoche could be Van Slyke from the Dodgers. Dude rakes lefties, hits decent against righties, under team control through the 2018 season and could serve as a good solid fourth OF.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)

I was trying to find the thread for this to post this here but thank you. Please Hahn, sign him. The perfect 2 hitter. This leaves our trading chips for a right handed starter/catcher if Hahn wanted to upgrade.

If Sox were to get Melky, I'd LOVE to work out a deal with the Padres for Ross ad Grandal.

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)
I was trying to find the thread for this to post this here but thank you. Please Hahn, sign him. The perfect 2 hitter. This leaves our trading chips for a right handed starter/catcher if Hahn wanted to upgrade.

If Sox were to get Melky, I'd LOVE to work out a deal with the Padres for Ross ad Grandal.

yes he is, i really like this idea.

but there is something holding me back. something about his salary and yrs.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 05:58 AM)

Just a gut feeling here but I would guess the Sox payroll will be closer to $100M this year. Especially with this LaRoche move, it tells me Hahn wants to contend now vs in a year or two.

I'm all for a reclamation project like a Hochevar or a Romo in the pen and a guy like Masterson, McCarthy or Volquez who won't break the bank as a middle of the rotation starter.

Should be interesting when the Winter meeting start. I would guess Hahn is going to make a few moves and I wouldn't doubt if one or two of those involve trades that won't eat up the payroll.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 08:05 AM)
He just turned 30 years old in August. I would definitely give him 4 years/60 million.

I've never been a sabermetrics kind of guy but seen a lot of posters throw out numbers suggesting that Melky isn't worth this type of contract but I have to disagree. Very ideal 2 hitter that could easily hit 20-25 HR's in a better park and occasionally fill the role at DH with a lefty on the mound.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)
I've never been a sabermetrics kind of guy but seen a lot of posters throw out numbers suggesting that Melky isn't worth this type of contract but I have to disagree. Very ideal 2 hitter that could easily hit 20-25 HR's in a better park and occasionally fill the role at DH with a lefty on the mound.

3 of the last 4 years, the Rogers center has played as a better offensive park than US Cellular field.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 08:57 PM)
At least now with Melky saying this it doesn't leave Rasmus alone on an island when he spoke of not wanting to return to that kind of surface.

Melky Cabrera @TheMelkman53 · 9h 9 hours ago

I want everyone to know that I am a baseball player and it doesn't matter to me what surface I play on. I will be the best player I can be.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 07:06 PM)
Melky Cabrera @TheMelkman53 · 9h 9 hours ago

I want everyone to know that I am a baseball player and it doesn't matter to me what surface I play on. I will be the best player I can be.

Ha, guess he is disputing what Olney said about him. My bad for assuming Olney knew this to be true.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 07:17 AM)
the sox should just go there and sign him. show the baseball bosses

that the sox will not be held for ransom.

that will have a greater impact and send a msg.

Or it might send a message that the White Sox are panicking a bit and deviating from their long-held financial philosophy in order to put a winner on the field this season.

Throwing money at a player just to prove they have it when there's a bidding war or to simply "deliver a message" seldom or rarely works.

If he's not the player they want at the price point they're comfortable with, then whatever short-term benefit they receive from the positive PR will quickly erode away in May or June if the team's not within hailing distance of first place.

Why do I have a feeling that if Hahn pulls off a trade for Samardzjia he'll turn around and sign Melky?

CF - Eaton

LF - Melky

1B - Abreu

DH - LaRoche

RF - Garcia

3B - Gillaspie

SS - Alexei

2B - Sanchez/Semien/Johnson

C - Flowers

With a rotation of...

Sale

Quintana

Samardzjia

Danks

Noesi

With Rodon in the wings.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
Or it might send a message that the White Sox are panicking a bit and deviating from their long-held financial philosophy in order to put a winner on the field this season.

Throwing money at a player just to prove they have it when there's a bidding war or to simply "deliver a message" seldom or rarely works.

If he's not the player they want at the price point they're comfortable with, then whatever short-term benefit they receive from the positive PR will quickly erode away in May or June if the team's not within hailing distance of first place.

I disagree, if that player you throw the money at is like DV, then I agree. if that

player is Melky, that is another statement. a player who is much better than

DV.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 06:03 AM)
Why do I have a feeling that if Hahn pulls off a trade for Samardzjia he'll turn around and sign Melky?

Because it makes no sense to trade for a guy about to leave your roster as a free agent and then run Viciedo out as a corner OF.