Sox sign Melky Cabrera

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 08:11 AM)
We knew what the team had in guys like Semiem, Bassit and Phegly but now he have more question marks in the minors. The team is in no position to be forfeiting draft picks, the system needs all the help it can get.

Not true. The team is in all in mode right now, we don't have time to wait 4 years for a draft pick to develop. If we see someone who can help the team immediately, no one should worry about a draft pick. We've already gave up a second rounder for just a closer. The time to sign free agents is now, and next year if we want to sign a marquee left fielder, we'd have to give up a first round pick. We are also talking about a position we do not have one single internal replacement for.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 09:11 AM)
Not true. The team is in all in mode right now, we don't have time to wait 4 years for a draft pick to develop. If we see someone who can help the team immediately, no one should worry about a draft pick. We've already gave up a second rounder for just a closer. The time to sign free agents is now, and next year if we want to sign a marquee left fielder, we'd have to give up a first round pick. We are also talking about a position we do not have one single internal replacement for.

Hence why I brought up CarGo. :) If we traded for him we would obviously give up 2 or 3 of our top 10 prospects. Good news is that his contract is pretty affordable according to his talent level. We wouldn't have to lose draft picks. Since the outfield would be set in stone for 3 seasons, they can focus on drafting in other areas of concern.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 01:21 PM)
the sox needs more depth, how will the sox address that, via trade and / or draft pick.

The Sox are players in Latin America now more than ever. That helps if we lose any draft picks. Granted, we need to build via draft as well, but don't forget our other areas of getting prospects.

I try to get excited by Melky, and he just doesn't do it for me. Not with the whole steroid thing, how he tried to cover it up and the fact that he hasn't been as productive since that year.

I rather try to get Ethier or even Carlos Gonzalez. I realize injury concerns, but these are some buy low candidates. Imagine if we traded for Ethier and got the Dodgers to take Danks and Viciedo.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 12:28 AM)
Not ideal but seems more and more likely.

I think there are plenty of viable options for the OF still left to say that a Tank/Ichiro platoon is likely.

Free Agents- Melky, Rasmus, Aoki

Dodgers- Either, Crawford, Van Slyke

Phillies- Marlon Byrd

Rockies- Blackmon, Cargo

Boston- Victorino, Nava, Holt

Pirates- Travis Snider

And I'm probably missing at least a few

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 09:11 AM)

This is stupid. The Altanta Braves made the playoffs for 15 straight years, with a team that featured Maddux, Glacine and Smoltz, they were definitely in win now mode but their front office was always building the farm system up. Yes did the Braves had to undergo a rebuild to get to that 'dynasty win-now mode' but when their window was opened and the team was all in, they continued to build through the farm. Them continuing to build through the farm brought in guys like Chipper and Andruw Jones, Javy Lopez, etc which allowed to keep their window open for an extended period of time.

The lack of talent in the Sox farm system is the reason why the team has been on hard times for the past few years. Without talented prospects that could join the major league team and be valuable contributors, the team has had to over pay for past their prime free agents, worsening the state of the franchise.

The Red So are always in win-now mode yet they continue to cherish draft picks and draft exceptionally well.

If you want to have a sustained winner you need to have draft picks in order to bring in a constant stream of talent into the system.

"We are also talking about a position we do not have one single internal replacement for." - This proves my point.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
I think there are plenty of viable options for the OF still left to say that a Tank/Ichiro platoon is likely.

Phillies- Marlon Byrd

Rockies- Blackmon, Cargo

Pirates- Travis Snider

Boston has to remove either Victorino or Nava or Craig - Holt is too versatile.

Ethier wants out of L.A. Dodgers want to move either Ethier or Crawford's contract.

Rasmus is supposedly asking for 11M - do not think anyone will come close to offering him that.

We need one very good defensive outfielder, who can spell Eaton. We also need someone who can give us more offensive production than Tank.

Perhaps the answer is either a) Aoki and Nava: or b) Rasmus and Nava. In either case, I like Nava because of his versatility.

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 10:17 AM)

Ethier wants out of L.A. Dodgers want to move either Ethier or Crawford's contract.

Rasmus is supposedly asking for 11M - do not think anyone will come close to offering him that.

We need one very good defensive outfielder, who can spell Eaton. We also need someone who can give us more offensive production than Tank.

Perhaps the answer is either a) Aoki and Nava: or b) Rasmus and Nava. In either case, I like Nava because of his versatility.

I'd rather pay Tank 4.5 mill than pay Rasmus anything more than that. Same type of player (low obp, high k rate, power potential) except Rasmus can run faster and play defense.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
I'd rather pay Tank 4.5 mill than pay Rasmus anything more than that. Same type of player (low obp, high k rate, power potential) except Rasmus can run faster and play defense.

Part of me absolutely agrees with you, except that Rasmus's defense does separate him from Tank, and he can also play CF. I do not think highly of him, but it will still seem a step up (albeit with more cost) than Tank.

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 10:35 AM)
Part of me absolutely agrees with you, except that Rasmus's defense does separate him from Tank, and he can also play CF. I do not think highly of him, but it will still seem a step up (albeit with more cost) than Tank.

I want nothing to do with Rasmus. A history of clubhouse issues and terrible offensive player. We had a guy who was only good at defense and his nickname was bacon. Our next LF should be an offensive and defensive sound player.

Melky Cabrera is not a marque left fielder. He's just the best of a bad FA lot.

No way should the Sox tie up 3 or 4 years at big money for this guy. it will interfere with their ability to make future moves.

Nor should they trade top prospects for a year of Upton or whomever.

They have done a great job rebuilding while also not only protecting the farm, but improving it. Keep at it.

they can get a stopgap by basically paying 1 year of someone's inflated salary.

QUOTE (MnSoxFan @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 04:34 PM)
The Sox are players in Latin America now more than ever. That helps if we lose any draft picks. Granted, we need to build via draft as well, but don't forget our other areas of getting prospects.

and as i have said before, next yr will be a great time to do that investment. for me

it will depend on the posting of these 2 young Cuban players.

i totally agree with you.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 04:52 PM)

Phillies- Marlon Byrd

Rockies- Blackmon, Cargo

Pirates- Travis Snider

alot of that will depends on trades, remember it will take 2 teams to trade.

btw i will add Cincy+SEa to that group.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)
and as i have said before, next yr will be a great time to do that investment. for me

it will depend on the posting of these 2 young Cuban players.

i totally agree with you.

You sign LA players when they're 16 years old, it takes a while for some to come stateside. While others never make it.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 10:13 AM)
This is stupid. The Altanta Braves made the playoffs for 15 straight years, with a team that featured Maddux, Glacine and Smoltz, they were definitely in win now mode but their front office was always building the farm system up. Yes did the Braves had to undergo a rebuild to get to that 'dynasty win-now mode' but when their window was opened and the team was all in, they continued to build through the farm. Them continuing to build through the farm brought in guys like Chipper and Andruw Jones, Javy Lopez, etc which allowed to keep their window open for an extended period of time.

The lack of talent in the Sox farm system is the reason why the team has been on hard times for the past few years. Without talented prospects that could join the major league team and be valuable contributors, the team has had to over pay for past their prime free agents, worsening the state of the franchise.

The Red So are always in win-now mode yet they continue to cherish draft picks and draft exceptionally well.

If you want to have a sustained winner you need to have draft picks in order to bring in a constant stream of talent into the system.

"We are also talking about a position we do not have one single internal replacement for." - This proves my point.

Your post is both near-sighted and tunnel-visioned. You are not taking into account the 45% drop in attendance rate in 2006, you are not taking into account the demographics of Sox fans, or the presence of another team in the same city as the Sox, which in itself makes our philosophy different than that of Braves, Red Sox, Pirates, or Royals.

In the city of Chicago, where fan base is located to the less prosperous side of town, Sox fans aren't rushing through to gate to see some average product that falls short of playoffs year in and year out. How does a big market team like Chicago end up with the 3rd lowest attendance rate last year? Our window of contention isn't the same as Braves or Red Sox, in that we have an ace who could be pitching on borrowed time, and a superstar hitter who we won't be able to resign once he hits free agency, and we also deal with more payroll constraints than both of those teams. We don't have time to wait 4 years for a 3rd round pick to come around when we can sign an all star caliber player to fill a big hole THIS YEAR.

With that being said, JR's goal this year is to open his wallet, get whoever it takes to build a playoff team the next 2 years, because that is the only way to bring fans through the gate for the White Sox. It is evidently when we gave up a second round pick for signing a closer.

While your philosophy is valid in some situations, it is not something the Sox are looking to do right now, nor they could afford to do given the state of the franchise.

That or I could give you the speech about 3rd round picks having about a 5% chance of contributing in the majors 4 years from now.

EDIT: I am not preaching us to sign Melky, I could live without him. But I am in support of us signing whoever we need to fill up the team, regardless of draft picks for next year.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 06:12 PM)
Your post is both near-sighted and tunnel-visioned. You are not taking into account the 45% drop in attendance rate in

That or I could give you the speech about 3rd round picks having about a 5% chance of contributing in the majors 4 years from now.

EDIT: I am not preaching us to sign Melky, I could live without him. But I am in support of us signing whoever we need to fill up the team, regardless of draft picks for next year.

i agree with both of the posters, not the insult that was attached. the goal now should

be the playoff and further.

if the sox can find a player as a FA who will cost the sox the third round pick, i will shout to

the heaves to sign him. but as of right now looking at the remaining FA, no. i will not like to

waste that pick nor being able to have any flexibility.

the sox doesn't need to fix the whole house this season. make some patch work and keep an

eye open for possible future moves. continue to fix the product, and then start to savage

the farm and make it stronger,

there should be 3 hand off prospects the sox have now. Adams, Anderson and Montas. the rest

can be move.

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)

I agree with you on Nava. He is a very good fit for us and shouldn't be too hard to get. I honesty wouldn't even hate Nava and Bonifacio as a super sub off of the bench. Getting a versatile option like Bonifacio could also make it more palatable to keep Tank if we can't get anything for him. Having Nava, Tank, and Bonifacio to choose from for LF wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 06:46 PM)
I agree with you on Nava. He is a very good fit for us and shouldn't be too hard to get. I honesty wouldn't even hate Nava and Bonifacio as a super sub off of the bench. Getting a versatile option like Bonifacio could also make it more palatable to keep Tank if we can't get anything for him. Having Nava, Tank, and Bonifacio to choose from for LF wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

i am in agreement with you. a nice fix for a short time.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 11:12 AM)
Your post is both near-sighted and tunnel-visioned. You are not taking into account the 45% drop in attendance rate in 2006, you are not taking into account the demographics of Sox fans, or the presence of another team in the same city as the Sox, which in itself makes our philosophy different than that of Braves, Red Sox, Pirates, or Royals.

In the city of Chicago, where fan base is located to the less prosperous side of town, Sox fans aren't rushing through to gate to see some average product that falls short of playoffs year in and year out. How does a big market team like Chicago end up with the 3rd lowest attendance rate last year? Our window of contention isn't the same as Braves or Red Sox, in that we have an ace who could be pitching on borrowed time, and a superstar hitter who we won't be able to resign once he hits free agency, and we also deal with more payroll constraints than both of those teams. We don't have time to wait 4 years for a 3rd round pick to come around when we can sign an all star caliber player to fill a big hole THIS YEAR.

With that being said, JR's goal this year is to open his wallet, get whoever it takes to build a playoff team the next 2 years, because that is the only way to bring fans through the gate for the White Sox. It is evidently when we gave up a second round pick for signing a closer.

While your philosophy is valid in some situations, it is not something the Sox are looking to do right now, nor they could afford to do given the state of the franchise.

So you only want the Sox to be good in 2015?

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 02:45 PM)

We just traded for a guy on a 1 year deal likely to sign a 9 figure deal next offseason that we may not want to pay.

We better be caring 100% about the White Sox making the playoffs this year. Make the playoffs this year and then pick up the pieces next offseason. We already made that call. We can think long term as a secondary priority, but we absolutely have to win 88 games this year.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 07:45 PM)

there should be a idea that needs to be added. that is you can not build a team that

is playoff bound, in 1 yr esp when the assets are not there. second, there are many

ideas on how to build a team.

the sox have done a lot of positive moves, and granted it is not done. getting those missing

pieces, even a weak piece for the sake of any future moves has to be on the back of

everyone mind.

so the next series of moves may be made by trade, again with out affecting the future.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 01:45 PM)

I don't think you're seeing the fact that we are talking about a only 3rd round pick here. Have you looked up career WAR value of an average 3rd round pick? Not to mention most years we would have to give up a first round pick to sign an FA.

Signing an FA that requires giving up a pick should help the team for at least 3 years , not just 2015. With the amount we have spent in Latin America the last 2 years, the 8th pick this year, Rodon/Anderson/Danish/Montas/Adams and to lesser extent Hawkins and Adolfo in the system, giving up a 3rd round pick is the last thing I worry about.

I think you should consider the moves the team has made, the philosophy they are undertaking, before being fixated over 3rd round pick

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 01:49 PM)
We just traded for a guy on a 1 year deal likely to sign a 9 figure deal next offseason that we may not want to pay.

We better be caring 100% about the White Sox making the playoffs this year. Make the playoffs this year and then pick up the pieces next offseason. We already made that call. We can think long term as a secondary priority, but we absolutely have to win 88 games this year.

Agree with Balta here. JR is gambling to make playoffs this year, if not next year. One thing many people aren't thinking about is with our attendance rate, we cannot uphold a $100 + million payroll for much longer. If we don't start winning the next 2 years, we might have to blow things up like the A's, especially when our cost controlled assets becomes more expensive.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 01:49 PM)

You're acting like we traded our whole farm and have tied up our entire future payroll with this offseason. Yes we're going for it in '15 but if we don't make the playoffs it's not like we've blown the whole rebuild. We've traded away maybe one guy that was on the famous "3 year board" as a starter in Semien. Bassitt was going to be a future reliever here, Phegley is nothing and Ravelo is completely blocked in our organization. And the future money we added this offseason was money we were going to have to spend to be a competitive team from '16 going forward anyways. All this offseason has done is make us more competitive in 2015, it hasn't killed 2016 and beyond at all.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 03:51 PM)
You're acting like we traded our whole farm and have tied up our entire future payroll with this offseason. Yes we're going for it in '15 but if we don't make the playoffs it's not like we've blown the whole rebuild. We've traded away maybe one guy that was on the famous "3 year board" as a starter in Semien. Bassitt was going to be a future reliever here, Phegley is nothing and Ravelo is completely blocked in our organization. And the future money we added this offseason was money we were going to have to spend to be a competitive team from '16 going forward anyways. All this offseason has done is make us more competitive in 2015, it hasn't killed 2016 and beyond at all.

No, it hasn't killed us, I'm not trying to say that.