Dodgers aggressively pursuing Alexei

flavum

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 10:23 PM)
Kemp is a big baby & one that can't keep healthy at that. I'm with certain posters here who would want Van Slyke.

Kemp seems like he has a huge ego & I wouldn't want anything to do with that.

So what. A couple of mods here have big egos, and you still participate on SoxTalk...

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diaz is a AAA shortstop. He was signed for Charlotte. As any sort of prospect to make the Major League team, he's behind 5 ML ready or near-ready Sox Middle infielders (Johnson, Semien, Saldino, Sanchez, L Garcia). L Garcia can field the position and that may have to do for a year.

Agree with SoCal on Kemp. Don't want the ego, whining or large contract.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 04:30 PM)
Diaz is a AAA shortstop. He was signed for Charlotte. As any sort of prospect to make the Major League team, he's behind 5 ML ready or near-ready Sox Middle infielders (Johnson, Semien, Saldino, Sanchez, L Garcia). L Garcia can field the position and that may have to do for a year.

You may be entirely correct. Isn't the key to who would play SS, the defensive skill of the respective candidates?

We know that among all of the young middle infield prospects, only L. Garcia is a really good fielding SS.

Sanchez is much better suited for 2ND.

Semien is more likely to platoon with Gillaspie, and is not a plus defensive SS.

Saladino is ok, but may not be ready right out of the gate, due to his surgery.

Johnson is only suited for 2ND, if he can even play well enough there.

Again, I don't know how good Diaz is defensively. My preference would be to play the best defensive SS, unless another is significantly better offensively.

After all, I was even suggesting the idea of using Rondon, entirely on the merits of his stellar defense.

Edited by Lillian

I hope to god Leury Garcia is not the regular SS if Alexei is moved. I don't care how good some of you think he is or might be defensively, he is absolutely dreadful with the bat. He should be in AAA next year getting consistent at-bats. Semien & Sanchez both provide superior short-term solutions at SS.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 03:37 PM)
I hope to god Leury Garcia is not the regular SS if Alexei is moved. I don't care how good some of you think he is or might be defensively, he is absolutely dreadful with the bat. He should be in AAA next year getting consistent at-bats. Semien & Sanchez both provide superior short-term solutions at SS.

This. That would be awful

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 04:26 PM)
Or perhaps they promote Saladino, a guy who might be underrated, and Diaz is SS in AAA.

Between Saladino, Semien, Sanchez, Diaz, and I suppose Garcia there's gotta be a guy there that can be a stopgap rill Anderson comes along.

I wouldn't be surprised if Saladino performed this year, but I've got to see him some post-injury at Charlotte first. That's where Diaz could fit in, no idea how long Saladino's comeback will take.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 03:50 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised if Saladino performed this year, but I've got to see him some post-injury at Charlotte first. That's where Diaz could fit in, no idea how long Saladino's comeback will take.

I thought someone posted an article in a thread recently that said he will be ready by spring training, but I could be wrong.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)
You may be entirely correct. Isn't the key to who would play SS, the defensive skill of the respective candidates?

We know that among all of the young middle infield prospects, only L. Garcia is a really good fielding SS.

This is all speculation, but Diaz is 30 I think, had a brief stint in the majors a few years back..he's a AAA player. And we know that L Garcia can field the position so I don't see Diaz with any real chance.

If Semien can handle the position defensively, fantastic.

I thought Sanchez was a SS more than a 2B. Maybe I'm wrong there.

This is all speculation, but Diaz is 30 I think, had a brief stint in the majors a few years back..he's a AAA player. And we know that L Garcia can field the position so I don't see Diaz with any real chance.

Diaz is 25.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
Why is everyone laying awake at night thinking of ways to prevent Semien from being the everyday SS?

IMO, if the org thought there was any chance of him taking over the SS position they'd have played him there for a few games before Saladino got hurt. Instead, Saladino played there almost every day until he got hurt. They didn't seem like they had confidence in him there.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 05:03 PM)

Diaz will turn 26 next month. He has 15 at bats in the Big Leagues, in 2012.

Sanchez is widely regarded as being much better suited for 2ND. His arm and his range, would not play nearly as well at SS.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)
IMO, if the org thought there was any chance of him taking over the SS position they'd have played him there for a few games before Saladino got hurt. Instead, Saladino played there almost every day until he got hurt. They didn't seem like they had confidence in him there.

Its understandable why the Sox played Saladino at SS over Semien since Saladino is the better SS. Looking at Semien's minor league career at SS, he was just not very good. Its probably one reason why the Sox used Semien at 2B and 3B. Also, when the Sox called up a minor leaguer half way through the season to fill in for Alexei, who did they call? Sanchez and not Semien. The writings on the wall, Semien is not a SS.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
The rumored deal centers around Alexei for Kemp. If that is the case, the difference between Kemp and Alexei is $11Million this coming season, and $11.5 million,

the following year. In the third year, with Alexei's contract expiring, the difference is, of course, the full Kemp salary.

However, Kemp is young enough to justify the $21.5 million per year for the final 3 years of the contract, during his age 32, 33 and 34 seasons.

If L. A. were to take Danks' salary commitment for the duration of his contract, which is 2 years at $14.25 Million per year, they would actually be paying out

more during the next 2 years with Alexei and Danks, then they would with Kemp. If they needed, or even wanted Danks, that might be acceptable to them.

However, the Dodgers do not need or want him, and part of their motive in moving Kemp is to reduce payroll. Therefore, a trade of Alexei and Danks for Kemp,

is not realistic, much less the notion that the Dodgers would also have to kick in some money.

If the Sox could count on one of their inexpensive, young middle infielders to fill the void at SS, until Anderson or Rondon arrive, I would embrace having Kemp, to combine

with Abreu, to form 2/3 of the heart of the Sox lineup, for the next 5 years.

If the Sox could get the Dodgers to add a promising young player, that would make the proposed deal very compelling. I had originally suggested Scott Schebler.

Where did you see that at?

I think that most of us agree that Semien, Sanchez and Johnson are all better suited at 2ND. In Semien's case 3RD may be where is most needed, as Gillaspie's

platoon partner.

That means that if Ramirez is traded, the competition for SS would likely be between Tyler Saladino, L. Garcia and Juan Diaz, not necessarily in that order.

Of course there may be another acquisition.

QUOTE (venom4789 @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 05:12 PM)
Are people staying awake at night thinking semien is actually a starting shortstop

:lol:

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 05:15 PM)
Dude has "utility player" written all over him.

Yup and that's pretty obvious with the way Sox have used Semien so far. Balta's idea of using Semien as a platoon partner for LaRoche makes a ton of sense as well as platoon with Gillaspie at third and Johnson/Sanchez at second. There will be plenty of atbats for Semien this year.

I kinda hate to say this but Semien could very well be used the way Maddon used Keppinger in Tampa.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 05:03 PM)
Agree. And the guy is an MVP caliber player. Would love him and Abreu back to back

Kemp was an MVP caliber player. The leg injuries have changed that. He's not the 40 stolen base guy from 2011 (8 SB last year) and is probably average at best as a baserunner. The defensive metrics had him as the worst defensive player in all of baseball last year. Granted, he did a lot of that damage playing CF and is closer to acceptable at one of the corners. He was a top 15 or so hitter in baseball last year which is good. He's paid like an MVP, but he's not going to be that 2011 player again.