Dodgers aggressively pursuing Alexei

flavum

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 01:43 PM)
I agree, and the following stats will illustrate just how consistently terrific Ethier has been vs. RH pitching, which after all is what hitters face most of the time:

YEAR PA .AVG .OBP SLG BB SO

2008 441 .326 .392 .560 44 64

2009 498 .302 .390 .571 59 77

2010 407 .318 .396 .564 46 66

2011 400 .321 .410 .468 51 62

2012 379 .325 .398 .546 39 61

2013 393 .294 .394 .460 52 60

That is 6 consecutive years, in his prime, when Ethier was as consistently good as anyone facing RHP. Last year would appear to be an outlier and the reasons are well known.

By contrast, Kemp has feasted on LH pitching most of his career. He is not nearly as consistently good vs. RHP.

Add in the injury free history and character/leadership factors, as well as the cost, and it is easy to see why one might prefer Either to Kemp, who would provide more HR's, but that's about all.

As he ages, he could use the rest vs LH starters, which would make him available as a pinch hitter off the bench, in the late innings vs RHP. Wouldn't that be a great asset to have?

Yup, good post. A lot people seem turned off on Eithier because of last year, but I actually give the guy credit for handling the situation as well as he did. A well established vet who more or less gets completely benched after a .780+ OPS season usually doesn't happen and I don't think many guys who have handled it very well or quietly.

If we are faced with the option of Eithier at 3/36(after the Dodgers eat $) or Melky Cabrera at 4/60 I'm44 taking Eithier without thinking much.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the more likely outcome is that some of the 2B depth is traded. My personal prediction is that the Sox trade Micah Johnson this offseason, but I've definitely been wrong before and will be wrong again.

I'm not high on Micah, so if the Sox can get anything useful for him then I'm all for it.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 01:27 PM)
I agree something is probably brewing but it has nothing to do with the majority of these players you mention. Smeien, Sanchez and Johnson all have value and I think one will get moved. That solves your "too much depth" problem, if that's actually a thing. Look at two of the best teams of the best century: St. Louis and Boston. These teams have the best depth and homegrown talent almost every year. The only reason we should trade from out depth is because we lack depth at other positions.

Anderson is a ways off and his position is unclear, so other than a potential September call-up, he's irrelevant to this season. Saladino and Garcia are potential UTIL guys, maybe one of them could be the 24th or 25th guy on the roster. Diaz and Jirschele shouldn't even be mentioned in the PaleHose talk forum. They are MiLB filler that are likely not to hold starting spots in Charlotte. To infer that these guys have something to do with the construction of the MLB roster and/or Alexei Ramirez's SS position is lunacy. Especially the latter.

Oh I agree that teams need as Mich depth as possible. I'm thinking it looks like some things brewing considering all the depth between Charlotte and the Sox, the rumors circulating about Alexei and now the best FA SS has been signed and raised the pay scale thus raising Alexei's trade value. This does not mean the will or should trade Alexei, just adds more fire to the rumor mill and makes me even more curious as to whether a team steps up and blows Hahn away in a proposal for Alexei.

Jirschele I agree, just noting him as part of the depth between Charlotte and Chicago. Diaz, could play in the majors if he indeed can play defense and hit right handers, could possibly platoon short with Saladino hitting against lefties tho neither could fill Alexei's shoes. Also agree that Anderson is a ways off yet and I would not consider him a realistic option until 2016 at the earliest.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)
I think it is interesting how many people are shooting down the idea of Kemp. I wanted to trade from him last year, assuming the Dodgers paid for half his contract, and buy low on a top 15 bat in baseball. Yes, his defense blows and he's supposedly a douchebag, but he could change the face of this offense. Away from Victor Martinez, Kemp is the only player available who can change the face of the offense.

Matt Kemp 2nd half in 2014: .309/.365/.606/.971

Kemp away from LA in 2014: 300/.373/.479/.852

Jose Abreu full year in 2014: .317/.383/.581/.964

Imagine those two, along with LaRoche, in two of the 3-4-5 spots.

Hanley Ramirez, who just signed for a year 4 year 88 million dollar deal also sucks at defense and hasn't been the offensive player Kemp has been. So a 5 year 107 million is probably close to what the market would have given Kemp if he were a FA this season. Make the Dodgers throw some money in for the back of the deal and you're really in great shape. Kemp and Abreu could be the best 3-4 in baseball. I hope Kenny Williams loves Kemp as much as I think he would.

Are you suggesting that the Dodgers would just "give" him to the Sox, and pay a portion of his salary, without demanding a player in return?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 01:45 PM)
They're shuffling their MiLB filler according to the players who could be heading to the MLB. Last year 2B and SS were played almost entirely by Semien, Sanchez and Saladino. There's a chance not one of those guys is in Charlotte next year. The only thing that could be brewing is one of Semien/Johnson/Sanchez being moved.

Why mention Jirschele if he's irrelevant? Why do you think Diaz can hit MLB RHP? Don't you think someone would have protected him on their 40 if he were a good defender that hit RHP? How many teams employ platoons at SS? Would Hahn keep his job if Saladino/Diaz were his starting SS?

Good grief. Have you not read this thread? I noted in my last two posts that Jirschele is part of the depth between Charlotte and Chicago, that is all. There have been plenty of posts in this thread regarding Diaz splits and defense, feel free to read them as well as look them up yourself. As for Hahn keeping his job, ask KW.

According to the rumors, Semien/Johnson/Sanchez are not the only players talked about being moved and in fact its Alexei's name that's constantly brought up due to the handful of teams in looking to upgrade at SS.

You may think you know what the Sox will or will not due but you don't and neither do any of us. That's the fun thing about discussing the rumors so try to enjoy it like the rest of us instead of being so anal.

Here are some stats for both Ethier and Kemp, whose numbers are right below him, vs. RHP. Of course Kemp is a much better hitter vs. LHP, but RHP is what hitters face most of the time:

YEAR PA .AVG .OBP SLG BB SO

2008 441 .326 .392 .560 44 64

2008 470 .260 .309 .416 30 112

2009 498 .302 .390 .571 59 77

2009 513 .278 .329 .453 36 122

2010 407 .318 .396 .564 46 66

2010 498 .233 .299 .444 41 134

2011 400 .321 .410 .468 51 62

2011 524 .319 .380 .560 44 130 It should be noted that Kemp batted cleanup, behind Ethier, who was on base a lot. I wonder how their comparative SLG% would have looked, if they traded places.

2012 379 .325 .398 .546 39 61

2012 311 .276 .341 .477 26 75

2013 393 .294 .394 .460 52 60

2014 434 .295 .355 .524 38 116 I substituted 2013 with last year, because of Kemp being injured for most of 2013

I just thought that it was interesting

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)
No, I value him. I am sure it'd take something to get him but I am not sure what. I'd look to acquire him without trading Alexei

Why when anyone questions your posts you ask them if they read the last fews posts? It's a strange defense mechanism. Why don't you quote me the posts on Diaz's defense or splits and I'll dispel them if they exist.

I'd love to make a signature bet on Jirschele playing in Chicago next year too.

I see. Thanks for clarifying that for me. That would indeed be quite a coup if the Sox could get Kemp and money, without offering something of value, that the Dodgers want. That seems unrealistic to me.

"Roostifier's" inquiry as to whether or not you had read the posts, seems reasonable. When one misquotes or ignores previous posts, I often wonder the same thing; "did they read what was just posted?".

While we're on the subject of the posting decorum, please accept this observation in the spirit of friendly criticism: Perhaps less hyperbole would make for a more cordial atmosphere. As a moderator, I hope

that you can appreciate my point. Language such as "lunacy", and suggestions of betting on someone's idea ever happening, seem a little unnecessary. For my part, I've developed a pretty thick skin, posting

on this board. I've taken plenty of scorn and humiliation for my "crazy" obsessions with Grady Sizemore, and the like LOL. It just seems to be the standard protocol on Internet message boards. I often

wonder if people talk to each other this way in person. I'm 70, and it is not the way I comported myself, my entire life. Having been in business, that kind of adversarial posture wouldn't have been very

beneficial. I guess things just aren't like they used to be. This board is actually pretty tame, compared to what I find on Youtube and other social media. It's really quite shocking.

It's just so much more fun when posters are cordial and don't attempt to belittle their fellow Sox fans. Hey, we all root for the same team, right? I'd like to save my jeers for the Tigers, Royals and Twinkies!!

At any rate, keep up the good work as moderator, and please keep posting, as they are always interesting. Thanks for entertaining my suggestion.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
No, I value him. I am sure it'd take something to get him but I am not sure what. I'd look to acquire him without trading Alexei

Why when anyone questions your posts you ask them if they read the last fews posts? It's a strange defense mechanism. Why don't you quote me the posts on Diaz's defense or splits and I'll dispel them if they exist.

I'd love to make a signature bet on Jirschele playing in Chicago next year too.

Uh, because people make comments without reading what's been written, no defense mechanism at all. In other words, they read the most recent page and just jump right in without knowing what already been said or how the conversation got to the point it is currently on.

Why don't you read the thread? Diaz's defense was discussed yesterday. You chose not to read the thread so why would I waste time quoting posts?

As for Jirschele. I never said he would be in the Sox lineup so stop making s*** up and trying to put words in my mouth in an effort to get the argumentative attention you so desperately seek. Again, Jirschele is just part of the MI depth the Sox have between Charlotte and Chicago, that's it and nothing more so stop reading too much into it.

Oh yeah, have a nice day! :)

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 03:40 PM)
I wish this guy was the Mets GM

Wyatt Derp ‏@NewYorkMehts 38m38 minutes ago

Will Wheeler + Syndergaard + DeGrom and Montero get us Alexei Ramirez, lets do it!

Whoaaa!

That had to be sarcastic jokester. I can't see anyone being that crazy.lol

Edited by StRoostifer

I'm pretty sure that any deal with the Dodgers involving Alexei, at this point, is dead. With this rumor being a week old with no momentum recently i would assume the teams are looking at options and not aggressively working out a deal.

i would anticipate no action on this prior to this winter meetings.

all that said, i will agree with some of the recent discussions around alexei for kemp... i would highly doubt the dodgers would do that. in my eyes, the dodgers are most likely to prefer a deal with crawford or ethier in just a salary dump which wouldnt jive with the Sox wants for Alexei in a trade.

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 03:51 PM)
I'm pretty sure that any deal with the Dodgers involving Alexei, at this point, is dead. With this rumor being a week old with no momentum recently i would assume the teams are looking at options and not aggressively working out a deal.

i would anticipate no action on this prior to this winter meetings.

all that said, i will agree with some of the recent discussions around alexei for kemp... i would highly doubt the dodgers would do that. in my eyes, the dodgers are most likely to prefer a deal with crawford or ethier in just a salary dump which wouldnt jive with the Sox wants for Alexei in a trade.

Nothing is really dead at this point. The Winter meetings start in a week and a half. Things are going to be pretty quiet in general until then.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)
You said he was depth for Chicago. I proposed a bet that he would never play in Chicago. You claim I said you said he'd be in the lineup. Those aren't the same things. I am not putting words in your mouth at all as you can see from the bolded. Notice how I provide the quotes to prove this.

You think I am being argumentative but I am just having trouble stomaching how off-base you are across the board. It certainly doesn't help you have been one of the most prolific posters on the board of recent and I am upset with myself for not being able to resist.

I just think it's a little funny how quickly you fall in love with these guys. Pencilling in Juan Diaz and Justin Jirschele for some role in Chicago leads to believe you are one of those guys who could be taken by one of the internet brides. You would have gone the rest of your life not knowing who Diaz is if the Sox never signed him. You would have never learned of Jirschele if he didn't have a .600 BABIP in a league he was far too old for. Despite that, you think both of them could potentially play in Chicago if you get your wish of Alexei getting traded. Try not to get offended but this is really, really far out there. Like the furthest end of the spectrum homerism. These guys are nothing. They are filler. They have nothing to do with Alexei Ramirez. If Diaz is starting in some capacity and Jirschele even steps into Chicago proper the Sox are in a world of trouble and something went seriously wrong. There is about ten guys ahead of both of these journeymen minor leaguers. Please try to digest this instead of relegating the dissenting opinion because it is not the same of your own.

All I did was note the buildup of MI depth between Charlotte and Chicago and you've derailed this thread from the dodgers interest in Alexei to how Jirschele will never make it to the Sox ( which nobody said he would) and how Diaz will never be a legit option at SS which is subject to opinion ( right or wrong) and means nothing if Alexei is not traded in the first place.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
Nothing is really dead at this point. The Winter meetings start in a week and a half. Things are going to be pretty quiet in general until then.

The big upcoming deadline for the White Sox is what, Tuesday December 2, when they have to decide whether they're offering viciedo salary arbitration?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 12:57 AM)
The big upcoming deadline for the White Sox is what, Tuesday December 2, when they have to decide whether they're offering viciedo salary arbitration?

isn't the 2 the waiver draft??? so wouldn't it be 1??

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 01:46 AM)
That is professional grade trolling right there.

you have been a posters who has posted a lot. so can you pls explain to me, b/c

I must be really stupid here. how is that professional trolling.

pls do not take offense. I can never tell when one is trolling.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 07:56 PM)
you have been a posters who has posted a lot. so can you pls explain to me, b/c

I must be really stupid here. how is that professional trolling.

pls do not take offense. I can never tell when one is trolling.

That post was purely to stir people up. Nothing more.