Dodgers aggressively pursuing Alexei

flavum

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 05:34 PM)
I buy all of this except for "it's harder to justify....when the restive their team is still very good". I think that's exactly the time you make that type of aggressive move to fill in the gap in your roster with the best player available. It makes a helluva lot more sense for the Dodgers to trade a top flight prospect for a player to fill a hole than it does for the White Sox to do it because that guy who can contribute right now may well put them over the top when the prospect's peak is probably several years away.

yes, the Dodgers can make moves that fill the void without giving up their top flight guys, and if they're convinced they're sitting on the next 4 rookies of the year again that's exactly what they should do, but ask yourself this question; how much are you willing to risk on missing the playoffs by 1 game?

I think we could argue this until the cows come home. Ultimately, the Sox have to ask for Seager or Pederson. I think the Dodgers will turn their noses up at that, and no deal will be worked out. In that regard, I hope I'm wrong because I'd personally be OK with the Sox not competing for another year to acquire a talent like one of those two and I think Hahn would feel the same way.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think that the Dodgers are motivated to do 3 things:

1) Acquire a SS until Seager is ready

2) Break the logjam in their very crowded outfield, by moving a couple of veterans from the group of Crawford, Kemp and Ethier.

3) Reduce the payroll a little. That seems to be the least important factor

I don't see them trading Pederson or Seager.

Whether or not those objectives match up with what R. H. wants to do, or what we think he should want to do, is the question, isn't it?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 06:43 PM)
I think we could argue this until the cows come home. Ultimately, the Sox have to ask for Seager or Pederson. I think the Dodgers will turn their noses up at that, and no deal will be worked out. In that regard, I hope I'm wrong because I'd personally be OK with the Sox not competing for another year to acquire a talent like one of those two and I think Hahn would feel the same way.

I'd be ok for the Sox not competing another year to acquire a talent like that as well, and that's exactly the level of talent the White Sox should be asking for, and everyone here keeps saying they won't give them up which is why I don't expect a trade to happen.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 11:43 PM)
I think we could argue this until the cows come home. Ultimately,

the Sox have to ask for Seager or Pederson. I think the Dodgers will turn their noses up at that,

and no deal will be worked out. In that regard, I hope I'm wrong because I'd personally be OK with

the Sox not competing for another year to acquire a talent like one of those two and I think Hahn

would feel the same way.

those dang freaking cows, what a bunch of hussies.

but again all joking aside, I think that sox are in a right position to take on a big contract

and still use that player. the only way for the Dodgers to start clearing out that logjam

it to package it. they really do not have a choice in that.

now for the players in play. lets take a look at the position the sox have avail. only 1 corner

outfield. the sox of the big contract outfielders. the least amount of yrs is what 3 yrs?? if the sox

ask for Pederson, when will he play in the outfield?? you have avi, eaton, and the other outfielder.

the sox have adam at dh for 2 yrs. there is no room.

that is why I keep saying the best player especially for the sox at this time will be seager.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 27, 2014 -> 12:25 AM)
I still think that the Dodgers are motivated to do 3 things:

1) Acquire a SS until Seager is ready

2) Break the logjam in their very crowded outfield, by moving a couple of veterans from the group of Crawford, Kemp and Ethier.

3) Reduce the payroll a little. That seems to be the least important factor

I don't see them trading Pederson or Seager.

Whether or not those objectives match up with what R. H. wants to do, or what we think he should want to do, is the question, isn't it?

ref #2 how do you reduce the logjam if you don't sweeten the pkg??

#3 by default, reducing the payroll but reducing the outfield.

#1 they want a good SS who may be able to put some offensive numbers, that is

why I am thinking of Alexei. I also have another idea but I really don't want to go

there, esp without proof.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 03:43 PM)

And that's perfectly acceptable...I wouldn't trade either of those guys for Alexei either. But that's where I start asking about Kemp. There is no reason we shouldn't be able to work something out in that regard.

The problem is that Ramirez for Kemp and "Thome cash subsidy" opens up such a big hole at SS that whatever we gained from Kemp in LF would be cancelled out by the loss of Ramirez at SS.

If it was 2016 and Tim Anderson was close to ready (and it was more of a sure thing he would be able to handle the position defensively)...then I'd be for it.

The problem is that going with this "close to all-in but not quite 100%" approach it's pretty much forcing us to compete this year.

And would Kemp even be happy playing LF in Chicago? It would all depend on how much money the Dodgers will willing to include...if Kemp could be paid essentially like Melky Cabrera for the next four years instead of in the $20 million range, it would be much more feasible.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 27, 2014 -> 01:55 AM)
The problem is that Ramirez for Kemp and "Thome cash subsidy" opens up such a big hole at SS that whatever we gained from Kemp in LF would be cancelled out by the loss of Ramirez at SS.

If it was 2016 and Tim Anderson was close to ready (and it was more of a sure thing he would be able to handle the position defensively)...then I'd be for it.

The problem is that going with this "close to all-in but not quite 100%" approach it's pretty much forcing us to compete this year.

And would Kemp even be happy playing LF in Chicago? It would all depend on how much money the Dodgers will willing to include...if Kemp could be paid essentially like Melky Cabrera for the next four years instead of in the $20 million range, it would be much more feasible.

kemp, crawford, ethier it is all the same here. they are huge contracts that the sox can

do without. however, again, if the dodgers are willing to add to that pck to entice the sox,

that is another thing.

if that trade does goes down, i guess Semien is the player at SS.

re Tim Anderson, i think and maybe i am crazy, but i think he can handle the offensive side

of the majors. the other side, well more grooming is needed.

remember it is the Dodgers who needs the sox, not the other way around.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 08:15 PM)
kemp, crawford, ethier it is all the same here. they are huge contracts that the sox can

do without. however, again, if the dodgers are willing to add to that pck to entice the sox,

that is another thing.

if that trade does goes down, i guess Semien is the player at SS.

re Tim Anderson, i think and maybe i am crazy, but i think he can handle the offensive side

of the majors. the other side, well more grooming is needed.

remember it is the Dodgers who needs the sox, not the other way around.

Kemp was (again) an MVP-quality bat the 2nd half last season.

Unfortunately, his defense has deteriorated to the point where some of that value is eroded, but he's much more on an impact player than Crawford/Ethier at this point...despite the injuries over the last 2-3 seasons.

Which of course means the Dodgers will hold out for less of a salary subsidy going the other way compared to Ethier/Crawford, too.

He definitely fits the KW "Sox fans can dream once again" scenario MORE, though.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 27, 2014 -> 02:19 AM)
Kemp was (again) an MVP-quality bat the 2nd half last season.

Unfortunately, his defense has deteriorated to the point where some of that value is eroded, but he's much more on an impact player than Crawford/Ethier at this point...despite the injuries over the last 2-3 seasons.

Which of course means the Dodgers will hold out for less of a salary subsidy going the other way compared to Ethier/Crawford, too.

and pls explain how that changes anything i said???

no offense intended.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 08:21 PM)
and pls explain how that changes anything i said???

no offense intended.

Ethier/Crawford + cash would have to go for Danks.

Ramirez for Kemp + cash.

So they're quite different scenarios. One would leave us with a former MVP and serious hole at SS.

The other would leave us with Bassitt, Noesi and Johnson/Beck at the back end of the rotation until the Sox added another starter and Rodon is recalled.

It would definitely force them to acquire a starting pitcher.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the Dodgers have Guerrero, Arrebuena and especially Nick Gordon.

Two of those three guys could definitely play SS.

Or they have options like S.Castro, Lowrie, Stephew Drew and Asdrubal Cabrera. Maybe Marco Scutaro. As someone mentioned, they also could target Eduardo Escobar, since the Twins want Santana at SS instead of CF eventually. Tulowitzki's out there, possibly.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 27, 2014 -> 03:50 AM)
Ethier/Crawford + cash would have to go for Danks.

Ramirez for Kemp + cash.

So they're quite different scenarios. One would leave us with a former MVP and serious hole at SS.

The other would leave us with Bassitt, Noesi and Johnson/Beck at the back end of the rotation until the Sox added another starter and Rodon is recalled.

It would definitely force them to acquire a starting pitcher.

so the first bolded, you are selling low.

so this is another idea of expanding on the Alexei trade, when you posted about how

it will leave the sox with a hole?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 27, 2014 -> 02:59 AM)
The other thing to keep in mind is that the Dodgers have Guerrero, Arrebuena and especially Nick Gordon.

Or they have options like S.Castro, Lowrie, Stephew Drew and Asdrubal Cabrera. Maybe Marco Scutaro. As someone mentioned, they also could target Eduardo Escobar, since the Twins want Santana at SS instead of CF eventually. Tulowitzki's out there, possibly.

if the Dodgers truly believe them to be options, then why their effort in looking at Alexei.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 08:59 PM)
The other thing to keep in mind is that t. Dodgers have Guerrero, Arrebuena and especially Nick Gordon.

I think out of the guys you mentioned, only Arruebarrena is capable of playing short and reports don't like his bat. By Nick Gordon you mean Dee Gordon and he is the second baseman and Guerrero sounds like he can't handle second or short and likely to end up in the outfield.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 27, 2014 -> 05:57 PM)
I think out of the guys you mentioned, only Arruebarrena is capable of playing short and reports don't like his bat. By Nick Gordon you mean Dee Gordon and he is the second baseman and Guerrero sounds like he can't handle second or short and likely to end up in the outfield.

then it all comes back to Alexei.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 27, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
Why do people still want Alexei traded after we signed LaRoche, which is a clear "win now" move? How do plan to contend by creating a hole at SS? I'm curious how people could think that would work.

I would guess the thinking goes the upgrade from Viciedo to Kemp is larger/more significant than the downgrade from Alexei to Semien/whomever.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 27, 2014 -> 08:28 PM)
Why do people still want Alexei traded after we signed LaRoche, which is a clear "win now" move? How do plan to contend by creating a hole at SS? I'm curious how people could think that would work.

even when Robin mention that Alexei is going no where, there was still talk. the only

way the sox deals if the package is overwhelming. a trade can help in seveal ways,

if the rtn is done right.

can the sox deal with Semien at SS and the other prospect platooning, if 2 or 3 major

holes were filled with top notch prospects. those are the questions that will be

answered, if there was a trade.

personally i do not want to trade to go thru.

The scenario in which the Sox could trade Danks for someone like Victorino, offers some distinct advantages:

We clear some payroll, as Victorino is owed only one year at $13 Million versus Danks, who is owed 2 years at $14.25 Million

Having filled the hole in the outfield, the Sox could then spend the rest of the money on a RH starter, and another bull pen arm.

Keep Alexei, and you have a roster that could compete.

Failing to acquire that free agent RH starter, R. H. could revisit trading Alexei, but for a starter instead of an outfielder.

A "rental" wouldn't be a bad option. I like rental starters, as they don't require that risky long term contract. Injuries are simply all too common and often career ending for pitchers.

By 2016, Rodon and Montas could both be in the rotation, and eliminate the need to sign someone to a long term contract.

Who is the best RH starter, with one more year on his contract, who could fill the #2 or #3 spot in the rotation?

The Shark comes to mind, but Samardzija isn't owed that much, as he is eligible for arbitration, and therefore may require that the Sox give Mr. Beane too much talent, in exchange for one year.

Who else is out there? Perhaps someone with a big salary, and one year remaining on the current contract, would be better suited. The Sox have more money, than surplus talent.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 27, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)

They aren't in a win now mode. They are in a we don't want totally suck now mode. Alexis window is 2015 and 2016. Sox best window not starting this year.

He's the only trading chit they have that won't interfere with the real window.

Thus trade him for the best group of Young players they can.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 27, 2014 -> 11:20 PM)
They aren't in a win now mode. They are in a we don't want totally suck now mode. Alexis window is 2015 and 2016. Sox best window not starting this year.

i disagree, the sox will try to win, all that has been discuss on why, i will not rehash.

suffice it to say, there are 2 scenario that has been talked about. 1 with Alexei on the

team and 1 without.

either one is how can the sox compete. the best scenario is the 1 without b/c he will

help get the missing pieces to fill the holes. holes that could only be filled thru a trade.

a drafted player will take several yrs of development and is a gamble. the sox wants to

take advantage of Jose A, Sale, Adam, Eaton, prime yrs as a player.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 27, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)

The thought behind trading Lexi, at least in my mind, is having Semien get more regular ABs.

So really were looking at Semien and whoever they get in a trade for Lexi vs Lexi alone.

And that all only makes sense if they're trading for a major league LF/SP/3B?, not prospects a year or 2 away.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 27, 2014 -> 05:20 PM)

White Sox management is sure saying different.