Dodgers aggressively pursuing Alexei

flavum

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 05:29 PM)
:lol:

Yup and that's pretty obvious with the way Sox have used Semien so far. Balta's idea of using Semien as a platoon partner for LaRoche makes a ton of sense as well as platoon with Gillaspie at third and Johnson/Sanchez at second. There will be plenty of atbats for Semien this year.

I kinda hate to say this but Semien could very well be used the way Maddon used Keppinger in Tampa.

While it probably is best for someone to take at bats here and there against lefties from LaRoche and Gillaspie, I hate to use a guy who has a potential. Semien may not fit here at short (if he loses the battle at second) but another team may want him for his potential bat and to start more often at second. I think I'd rather see him included in some sort of deal, but in the end if he doesn't go anywhere then it is what it is I guess.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The following scenario would put the Sox payroll slightly over $100M:

1. Trade Alexei Ramirez to the Dodgers for Matt Kemp, Scott Schebler and $12M cash;

2. Trade/DFA Dayan Viciedo

3. Sign a FA RHP to a three year $12M contract - McCarthy, Masterson

4. Swap contracts with the Phillies - Danks for Papelbon

5. Figure out a deal with Toronto for Dioner Navarro with his $5M contract.

Let Bassitt be the 5th starter until Rodon is ready.

Semien could play SS until Saldino is ready. Could see Semien becoming another Bucky Dent.

I don't think it's like that. You've made it clear you like Semien, and a lot of us, myself included, are right there with you. Unfortunately, Semien hasn't shown any semblance of proper footwork in the infield. I don't know if it's performance anxiety in the MLB, but he's been terrible in the infield with the Sox. Primarily because of his footwork causing bad throws. I am not saying he can't improve, but it's more likely he's better suited for 2B/3B whether or not Ramirez is traded. Most likely scenario is Ramirez isn't traded and Semien is part of a platoon at 3B or is the everyday 2B.

I am very excited about Semien. He could be a big surprise for us. Once his hand healed he absolutely torched the IL and was great in Chicago in a small sample size. If they trade one of the three 2B prospects, which I think they will, I sure hope it isn't Semien.

Good post, good info. Thanks. I live in Texas and didn't see every game last year. Games that I did see I thought Semien was average in the field. Good to hear more detail on it.

If we were to trade him instead of Sanchez, I think I'd be crying on my pillow for weeks...months...years.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 06:11 PM)
Pass what you're smoking this way, man.

Dodgers want a major league shortstop and want to reduce payroll and open up room in the outfield for Pederson. This deal has the Sox taking on all of Kemp's obligation with the exception of the $12M in cash.

Phillies have tired of Papelbon, have lots of unknowns in their own starting staff.

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 06:24 PM)
Dodgers want a major league shortstop and want to reduce payroll and open up room in the outfield for Pederson. This deal has the Sox taking on all of Kemp's obligation with the exception of the $12M in cash.

Phillies have tired of Papelbon, have lots of unknowns in their own starting staff.

We have too many holes in the rotation as is. I don't see the Dodgers sending us money and a prospect for Kemp either

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 07:24 PM)

The Dodgers thank you and are trying to hold back their laughter.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 05:36 PM)
While it probably is best for someone to take at bats here and there against lefties from LaRoche and Gillaspie, I hate to use a guy who has a potential. Semien may not fit here at short (if he loses the battle at second) but another team may want him for his potential bat and to start more often at second. I think I'd rather see him included in some sort of deal, but in the end if he doesn't go anywhere then it is what it is I guess.

I like Semien's bat potential but there's plenty left to prove yet. He had 10 errors in 33 games at third and 4 errors in 26 games at second for the Sox last year and as I said in an earlier post, Semien's track record as a SS in the minors show he's no SS either which explains why the Sox have tried to convert him to a second or third baseman. Semien is tolerable at second and I'm sure he would improve but if he cannot win the starting second baseman job in ST, the only options are to be a super sub for the Sox or go back to Charlotte.

IMO, I think Semien ends up the odd man out and is traded before ST. Just a guess but second base comes down to a Sanchez/Johnson duel and short stop Saladino/ Diaz and likely Leury gets a look as well since he's so versatile defensively.

I know this is not what Semien fans want to hear ( myself included) but this is how its starting to take shape. Semien is becoming a bat without a home on the field and if the Sox are going to be legit contenders they must improve defensively.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
This is all speculation, but Diaz is 30 I think, had a brief stint in the majors a few years back..he's a AAA player. And we know that L Garcia can field the position so I don't see Diaz with any real chance.

If Semien can handle the position defensively, fantastic.

I thought Sanchez was a SS more than a 2B. Maybe I'm wrong there.

Both Saladino and Semien were much better vs LH pitching last season at AAA. Semien was also much better vs. LH pitching in his Big League at bats.

Diaz was fine vs. RH pitching, last year at AAA: .316 AVG .338 OBP .483 SLG

It wouldn't be a bad idea to consider platooning Diaz with Saladino at SS

Semien could platoon with Gillaspie at 3RD.

I'm starting to feel like the Sox could likely get by nicely by trading Alexei. In a couple of years Anderson and Rondon can compete for the SS position.

(If Anderson doesn't stick at SS, the Sox might be able to move him to the outfield.

Until then, if Saladino and Diaz can provide high enough quality defense, they won't need to do that much on offense, with Abreu, LaRoche and Kemp in the

middle of the lineup.

Trade Viciedo and his salary for another young bull pen arm. Alexei and Viciedo represent probably $14 Million, so the addition of Kemp costs $6.5 more net,

for next year.

Sign a RH starter, and maybe a closer, with the balance of the $20 to $25 Million, we speculate is available, which would be about $14 to $18 Million.

Better yet, trade Danks for a slightly better RH starter, perhaps a #3, with a more expensive contract, on a team trying to reduce payroll.

It would likely cost a few $Million more, but less than adding a free agent starter, and keeping Danks, plus losing a draft pick.

It's the same strategy as the proposed Alexei for Kemp deal. You take on additional salary, but less by trading some salary, and you avoid losing a draft pick.

So what team would like to shed salary, and has a RH starter, who is making more than Danks? Someone like Homer Bailey of the Reds might work, but not

with quite that big of a contract.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 08:30 PM)
Trading Alexei, which is fine by me, will define Hahn, far more than the Peavy trade, the Abreu acquisition, the Rios dump. He's gotta be right on this one, and I think he will be. Meanwhile i can't stop obsessing over it.

I can't either!!! It's so interesting, intriguing and fun, especially with someone else's money.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 06:45 PM)
I like Semien's bat potential but there's plenty left to prove yet. He had 10 errors in 33 games at third and 4 errors in 26 games at second for the Sox last year and as I said in an earlier post, Semien's track record as a SS in the minors show he's no SS either which explains why the Sox have tried to convert him to a second or third baseman. Semien is tolerable at second and I'm sure he would improve but if he cannot win the starting second baseman job in ST, the only options are to be a super sub for the Sox or go back to Charlotte.

IMO, I think Semien ends up the odd man out and is traded before ST. Just a guess but second base comes down to a Sanchez/Johnson duel and short stop Saladino/ Diaz and likely Leury gets a look as well since he's so versatile defensively.

I know this is not what Semien fans want to hear ( myself included) but this is how its starting to take shape. Semien is becoming a bat without a home on the field and if the Sox are going to be legit contenders they must improve defensively.

Saladino vs. Diaz for the starting SS job?? Dude, it's not shaping up that way at all. Diaz was added for AAA depth, nothing more. Saladino projects as a useful utility guy once healthy. I seriously doubt Hahn considers either guy a starting caliber player. And I'd be completely shocked if Hahn preferred either guy as a temporary SS fill-in over Semien or Sanchez. In fact, if he's willing to deal Alexei after signing LaRoche, then I'm guessing he's confident one of Semien & Sanchez can handle the SS job. He's not going to give a AAAA player or a fringe prospect 600 plate appearances if they're trying to compete.

And what track record are you referring to when you mention Semien's minor league SS defense?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 07:52 PM)
Saladino vs. Diaz for the starting SS job?? Dude, it's not shaping up that way at all. Diaz was added for AAA depth, nothing more. Saladino projects as a useful utility guy once healthy. I seriously doubt Hahn considers either guy a starting caliber player. And I'd be completely shocked if Hahn preferred either guy as a temporary SS fill-in over Semien or Sanchez. In fact, if he's willing to deal Alexei after signing LaRoche, then I'm guessing he's confident one of Semien & Sanchez can handle the SS job. He's not going to give a AAAA player or a fringe prospect 600 plate appearances if they're trying to compete.

And what track record are you referring to when you mention Semien's minor league SS defense?

If Diaz is the starting shortstop at any point next season something went horribly wrong lol

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 08:52 PM)

I'm just curious. Have you read the all of the recent posts in this thread?

Sanchez is far better suited for 2ND, and the Sox will likely need him there, as Micah Johnson is not a Major League defensive second baseman.

Semien is not an acceptable MLB defensive SS.