Dodgers aggressively pursuing Alexei

flavum

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 12:08 PM)
Who is going to take over at SS if we trade Alexei?

if the sox do that trade, they may be hoping for that 1 yr stop gap, until

Anderson is ready or worst case, that great defensive ss in the minors.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 07:00 AM)
if the sox do that trade, they may be hoping for that 1 yr stop gap, until

Anderson is ready or worst case, that great defensive ss in the minors.

I had written earlier, that Rondon could conceivably be pushed up to the Majors, because of his defensive prowess. Defense translates at higher levels.

If a SS has great hands, instincts and the arm, there is no reason he can't employ those attributes equally at the Big League level. If anything, the better groomed

infields might actually improve his performance.

The other point I made was that with a lineup featuring Eaton, Abreu, LaRoche, Kemp, Garcia, and Gillaspie, I think the Sox could handle a weak hitting SS.

Moreover, I've been intrigued by the fact that Rondon only recently started switch hitting. I believe that it was "Northsider72" who pointed that out.

Rondon has actually been pretty good batting right handed. It might interesting to see what would happen if he just went back to hitting exclusively from the right side.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)
I had written earlier, that Rondon could conceivably be pushed up to the Majors, because of his defensive prowess. Defense translates at higher levels.

If a SS has great hands, instincts and the arm, there is no reason he can't employ those attributes equally at the Big League level. If anything, the better groomed

The other point I made was that with a lineup featuring Eaton, Abreu, LaRoche, Kemp, Garcia, and Gillaspie, I think the Sox could handle a weak hitting SS.

Moreover, I've been intrigued by the fact that Rondon only recently started switch hitting. I believe that it was "Northsider72" who pointed that out.

Rondon has actually been pretty good batting right handed. It might interesting to see what would happen if he just went back to hitting exclusively from the right side.

defensively he can handle it in the majors now.

old school, dang i am starting to say like everyone's grandfather, mlb always said the 2 key

positions that most team can handle with a weak bat is SS #1 and Cat #2. the 2 most important

position outside pitching.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 07:13 AM)

Please stop with this suggestion. Rondon would be so bad offensively that it would negate any value his defense would provide. On top of that, you'd be stunting his development significantly. Just an all-around horrible idea when you consider short-term and long-term goals.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
Please stop with this suggestion. Rondon would be so bad offensively that it would negate any value his

defense would provide. On top of that, you'd be stunting his development significantly. Just an all-around

horrible idea when you consider short-term and long-term goals.

if one was counting on for his offense. but you do have a point of stunting his

development.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 07:39 AM)
Please stop with this suggestion. Rondon would be so bad offensively that it would negate any value his defense would provide. On top of that, you'd be stunting his development significantly. Just an all-around horrible idea when you consider short-term and long-term goals.

Exactly. If you think Leury Garcia can't hit, Rondon in the major leagues now, would make Leury look like Tony Gwynn.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 07:39 AM)

Alright, I'll "stop". I realize that it is not a suggestion that fits with conventional wisdom on this board. Although I don't quite understand how regular playing time in the big Leagues "stunts"

a player's development. And, I do believe that Rondon is arguably the best defensive SS in the entire Minor Leagues.

That said, whom do you recommend for SS, if Alexei is traded?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 01:57 PM)
Alright, I'll "stop". I realize that it is not a suggestion that fits with conventional wisdom on this board. Although I don't quite understand how regular playing time in the big Leagues "stunts"

a player's development. And, I do believe that Rondon is arguably the best defensive SS in the entire Minor Leagues.

I like what you wrote and I am on board with you. however let me answer this.

a player will learn hitting when they are not facing A+ hitting every nite to the point

of totally being out of their element. that is why minor league and developmental league

were made to teach.

majors in just the finishing school of learning.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 07:57 AM)

Semien or Sanchez. Both present much better alternatives to Rondon, even if they are defensive downgrades.

Despite being a finalist for the Gold Glove Alexei was pretty poor in every defensive metric you look at.

-Fielding bible gave him a -10 rPM(+/-) runs saved

- he had only a .734 defensive zone rating (he was in the .830's in his prime)

- His UZR was -.7 (in the +10's in his prime)

So honest question....given a natural slight decline due to age in Alexei would a platoon of Semien/Sanchez really be THAT much worse than Alexei next season? It's an honest question that you have to consider.

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 02:59 PM)
Despite being a finalist for the Gold Glove Alexei was pretty poor in every defensive metric you look at.

-Fielding bible gave him a -10 rPM(+/-) runs saved

- he had only a .734 defensive zone rating (he was in the .830's in his prime)

- His UZR was -.7 (in the +10's in his prime)

So honest question....given a natural slight decline due to age in Alexei would a platoon of Semien/Sanchez really be THAT much worse than Alexei next season? It's an honest question that you have to consider.

and a very good question, esp if Alexei trade does goes down. the replacement as I said is

already internal. esp if it is short term until Anderson is ready. no need to go outside the team

via trade.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 06:08 PM)
Exactly! And how does a team get better? You either A) sign/trade for veterans with inflated contracts that you will inevitably regret, or B) you trade the veterans you have for more talent that can help you in the future.

Do you really want to travel down path A again? Pretty sure we've seen that same song and dance before with KW in control.

How do you get better? Not by making yourself worse.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 11:31 AM)
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 7h7 hours ago

CHW continue to listen to offers for Alexei Ramirez because of the presence of Tim Anderson, who reached AA in '14:

Could explain why the Sox put Saladino on the 40 man roster. I guess if the Sox traded Alexei, they would use one of Sanchez/ Semien/ Saladino to keep SS warm until Anderson was ready. Also shows the Sox have confidence in Anderson remaining at SS.

Sounds like Hahn is entertaining a bit of a bidding war for Alexei.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 12:41 PM)
Could explain why the Sox put Saladino on the 40 man roster. I guess if the Sox traded Alexei, they would use one of Sanchez/ Semien/ Saladino to keep SS warm until Anderson was ready. Also shows the Sox have confidence in Anderson remaining at SS.

Sounds like Hahn is entertaining a bit of a bidding war for Alexei.

That actually does make some sense, they seemed insistent on playing Saladino at SS a lot last year and he was doing ok there before injury. If they do move Alexei, they would need Tyler around as at least a guy to hold the position.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 12:43 PM)
That actually does make some sense, they seemed insistent on playing Saladino at SS a lot last year and he was doing ok there before injury. If they do move Alexei, they would need Tyler around as at least a guy to hold the position.

His TJS was on the non-throwing elbow, correct?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)

Yeah, I wouldn't have thought much of it except for all the rumors swirling around a possible Alexei trade. Then the Saladino addition made more sense. I looked up Saladino and it looked like he improved his defense last year and was swinging a good bat before he went down for TJ.

I'm just curious about how Saladino's throwing strength/accuracy will be. If the Sox are going to compete, they will need at least decent defense out of SS and up the middle as a whole.

I remember when Saladino got hurt that I believe Hahn was pretty disappointed. He is a article when saladino got injured and hahns comments about it. http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2014080...orts/140808811/

Also ran across this one as well. http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article/101...cus-to-recovery

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer