Longoria & Will Myers

GoGoSox2k2

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 9m9 minutes ago

Turner, as others have noted, would be a PTBN because he was drafted only last year (1st round). Per source, trade could look like this:

Turner, Joe Ross to #Nationals. Myers, Hanigan, Jose Castillo to #Padres. Souza, Ott, Rivera, Smith, Bauers to #Rays (Souza, Ott from Nats).

That is not the official deal, just an outline coming from a source. Competitive-balance picks also might be involved.

• 1 month later...

I was just thinking on my home from class today. Say the Sox are in contention and Longoria becomes available.

What do you think it would take to get him without giving up Rodon?

I think I would give up Davidson, Montas, Anderson and Danish for him. Would that be enough? Once again, I'm just thinking out loud here.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 02:07 PM)
I was just thinking on my home from class today. Say the Sox are in contention and Longoria becomes available.

I think I would give up Davidson, Montas, Anderson and Danish for him. Would that be enough? Once again, I'm just thinking out loud here.

The problem is that it's a team friendly contract. Tampa can "afford" him until they move into montreal( or any other market).

I doubt they move him in July, or even in 2016, simply because they will likely need a superstar to help sell baseball in their new market.

Hard to say exactly. At this point, that's a definite no, but if Montas shows a more consistent slider and better and more consistent changeup, then he's probably approaching top 30-50 prospect status. They might consider it at that point instead of outright dismissing it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 05:06 PM)
Hard to say exactly. At this point, that's a definite no, but if Montas shows a more consistent slider and better and more consistent changeup, then he's probably approaching top 30-50 prospect status. They might consider it at that point instead of outright dismissing it.

I agree, if Montas can prove it at the AA level and dominate as a starter, I think he would soar through the rankings and become a very valuable trade piece when our rotation could be locked up for a long time (assuming Samardzija resigns)

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 06:15 PM)
I agree, if Montas can prove it at the AA level and dominate as a starter, I think he would soar through the rankings and become a very valuable trade piece when our rotation could be locked up for a long time (assuming Samardzija resigns)

Hopefully he follows the Yordano Ventura trendline...he didn't come out of nowhere, but it sort of felt like it.

Both with explosive stuff and their array of doubters.

Where was Ventura the last two years on the Top 100 lists?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 06:51 PM)
Hopefully he follows the Yordano Ventura trendline...he didn't come out of nowhere, but it sort of felt like it.

I don't know if he was. But I hope Montas can have similar success to what Ventura has had.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 07:51 PM)

Prospect Ratings by Baseball America:

Pre-2013: Rated #85 Prospect

Pre-2014: Rated #26 Prospect

Prospect Ratings by MLB.com:

Pre-2013: Rated #60 Prospect

Pre-2014: Rated #35 Prospect

Prospect Ratings by BaseballProspectus.com:

Pre-2013: Rated #62 Prospect

Pre-2014: Rated #12 Prospect

B-R posts that info on minor league pages for players who make the lists.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 03:07 PM)

Yes, it would likely be enough. I would give up those guys for Trout; no one else that I can think of offhand.

Good lord. You're paying over double his value.

This idea that this one hero is going to win us a world series is just silly.

And does anyone even bother to look at his recent production?

+ on the hook contractually thru age 37.

Tampa can keep its hero.

Edited by GreenSox

Comparing AJ Burnett's accomplishments/value going into the 2005 season to Evan Longoria's through this point in his career is pretty spectacular, just really spot on, poignant stuff.

The definition of "recent production" has truly taken on an especially myopic definition of late.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 09:19 PM)

Tampa can keep its hero.

Imagine being able to sign a 29 year old free agent 3B with a career 130 wRC+ and 14.9 UZR/150 to a 9 year, $129.5M deal tomorrow. What do you suppose $19.5M owed 8 years from now is worth in present day value?

Tampa can keep its hero.

That's like the ninth time in this thread that you've pointed out Longoria's recent production while ignoring people telling you that it will be better next year and you should look at more than just the previous season. He is a stud and his contract is a plus, as Kalapse points out.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 06:51 PM)

Montas looks a lot more like Wily Peralta to me. Big body, easy motion, easy mid 90s velocity.

Tampa can keep its hero.

Have you looked at his production lately? He's had one full season where he was under a 5.5 fWAR player and that was last year. It was by far his worst season and he was still a 3.4 fWAR player. Pablo Sandoval was also a 3.4 fWAR player last year that has dealt with injury and weight concerns his entire career and he signed a 5 year, $90 million contract. Longoria's contract is just $121.5 million guaranteed over the next 8 years. He is still well worth his contract and would get more on the open market.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 10:02 PM)
Imagine being able to sign a 29 year old free agent 3B with a career 130 wRC+ and 14.9 UZR/150 to a 9 year, $129.5M deal tomorrow. What do you suppose $19.5M owed 8 years from now is worth in present day value?

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 10, 2015 -> 10:37 AM)
Have you looked at his production lately? He's had one full season where he was under a 5.5 fWAR player and that was last year. It was by far his worst season and he was still a 3.4 fWAR player. Pablo Sandoval was also a 3.4 fWAR player last year that has dealt with injury and weight concerns his entire career and he signed a 5 year, $90 million contract. Longoria's contract is just $121.5 million guaranteed over the next 8 years. He is still well worth his contract and would get more on the open market.

Pretty much proving my point, that yes, I would overpay for Evan Longoria. He would bring so much to the line up and defensively. He would give even more protection to Abreu with Melky and LaRoche.

Not saying it will happen, but if the Rays are out of it again by July, I can see him becoming available and the Rays starting young all over again.

For the record, I don't think the Sox can put together a package that the Rays would accept without Rodon being involved, merely that they'd consider a package of Montas, Anderson, and Danish as the center pieces if Montas and/or Danish take a big step forward early in the year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 10, 2015 -> 11:25 AM)
For the record, I don't think the Sox can put together a package that the Rays would accept without Rodon being involved, merely that they'd consider a package of Montas, Anderson, and Danish as the center pieces if Montas and/or Danish take a big step forward early in the year.

It all depends on what other teams are involved, and who they are offering and who they're keeping off the table (and if the Rays decide to shop Longoria). Anderson plus the two most "helium at the moment" of Montas, Danish and Adams is at least a starter.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Feb 10, 2015 -> 12:13 PM)
It all depends on what other teams are involved, and who they are offering and who they're keeping off the table (and if the Rays decide to shop Longoria). Anderson plus the two most "helium at the moment" of Montas, Danish and Adams is at least a starter.

At the same time, it has to be a worthwhile proposition for Tampa, which is why I view it less as "what other teams are offering" and more "what it would take for Tampa to bite." He's signed for another 8 years at a ridiculously cheap price, relatively speaking.

Even if all 4 of those prospects increase their stock as the season progresses, you are still looking at a fairly raw player in Tim Anderson who has to prove over a full season that he can handle the rigors of SS or else he ends up in CF (which isn't a huge deal, but does cut into his value), two guys in Danish and Montas who you can easily pigeonhole as relievers, and a 19 year old who will likely be spending his season between the A-ball affiliates. Even a trade of all 4 of them is a risky proposition for a team like Tampa.

I just don't see how it could possibly get done without Rodon being included. I don't think the Sox are in a position to be trading a mega package for Evan Longoria at this point either. We've been talking for 10 years or so about having the farm system feed into the majors, and they're at a point where it may actually be feasible. It doesn't make sense to damn it all and put all the eggs in one basket. As valuable and great as Longoria is, we've seen how quickly a 3B can see his career spiral downward with one twinge of the back.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 11:30 AM)
At the same time, it has to be a worthwhile proposition for Tampa, which is why I view it less as "what other teams are offering" and more "what it would take for Tampa to bite." He's signed for another 8 years at a ridiculously cheap price, relatively speaking.

Even if all 4 of those prospects increase their stock as the season progresses, you are still looking at a fairly raw player in Tim Anderson who has to prove over a full season that he can handle the rigors of SS or else he ends up in CF (which isn't a huge deal, but does cut into his value), two guys in Danish and Montas who you can easily pigeonhole as relievers, and a 19 year old who will likely be spending his season between the A-ball affiliates. Even a trade of all 4 of them is a risky proposition for a team like Tampa.

I just don't see how it could possibly get done without Rodon being included. I don't think the Sox are in a position to be trading a mega package for Evan Longoria at this point either. We've been talking for 10 years or so about having the farm system feed into the majors, and they're at a point where it may actually be feasible. It doesn't make sense to damn it all and put all the eggs in one basket. As valuable and great as Longoria is, we've seen how quickly a 3B can see his career spiral downward with one twinge of the back.

If the Rays were to trade Longoria, they should look back on it as better than the trade texas made of Teixeira. It should make them better for >5 years. They should get the young core of a franchise 2-3 years away.

We can do that, but it's literally everything we have, including Rodon. If we get lucky and Montas, Danish, and Anderson all actually succeed at a higher level this year...suddenly next year we'll be looking at having a lot more ammunition for that kind of move.