Anybody else having trouble supporting this team?

ron883

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 08:13 PM)
So poor character deserves an additional suspension, yet Melky Cabrera's admitted poor character did not earn a second suspension. Ergo, the statement that he served his time is false by your admission because lying and fabricating, character moves, earned Braun a larger suspension.

You've done a dynamite job convincing me that he never fully served his time. Thanks.

I am not trying to convince you of anything. I couldn't care less what you think. If Melky hurt an innocent person's reputation, I would think he would do more time.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 06:13 PM)
So poor character deserves an additional suspension, yet Melky Cabrera's admitted poor character did not earn a second suspension. Ergo, the statement that he served his time is false by your admission because lying and fabricating, character moves, earned Braun a larger suspension.

You've done a dynamite job convincing me that he never fully served his time. Thanks.

Let it go...I don't care for the guy as a player but he's signed. I won't think twice about cheering for him to help the team win. I could give a f*** about him otherwise.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 04:39 PM)
The level of seething, angry disrespect in this thread for anyone who has a negative reaction to signing this guy is really quite remarkable. We often don't even get this level for political discussions.

Acutally that is why so few people use the political forum anymore, but that is a different story.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 10:59 PM)
This wasn't the question. The question was do you have trouble supporting the Sox because of him.

Right now? Yes. But I'll get over it I'm sure. Like somebody said, the other players didn't cheat like Melky did. The vast majority of the players are clean, etc. It does disappoint me, but I'm sure by opening day I'll be able to support the team and not despise Melky. I am now on record, however, as saying he could be a huge bust in terms of imeediate/future production. I'm not a big Melky guy.

LOL - yes let's all root for a squeaky clean team that loses all the time. Such hypocrisy all the time from these holier-than-thou types.

Either you care abt WINNING or you DON'T. How you get there is irrelevant. It's an old adage in sports that "if you're not cheating, you're not trying."

AMEN. I wish everybody was still doing it. The game was better.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 06:25 AM)
Haha sooooo much pearl clutching going on.

That high horse, balta. How DO you feel about the 2005 White Sox and their roider-infused roster?

at that time, no - one knew who were using.

Balta has an opinion, so what, many has opinions why is he different.

I have no problem supporting this team. I believe that Melky is most likely clean now, but if he's not and gets caught, he'll face the consequences.

My take on this is, we all know that there are many more guys out there who were juicing at one time or another before the MLB really cracked down. The guys who were caught are the ones we know about. I'd be willing to bet that there were a few on the 2005 team that were juicing. No proof, I realize, but there was speculation about at least Rowand and Everett.

This team looks so much better than last year. Significant improvement have been made to the starting rotation, DH, LF, and the bullpen. I'm excited to see this team play, and I can't wait until April.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)
I have no problem supporting this team. I believe that Melky is most likely clean now, but if he's not and gets caught, he'll face the consequences.

My take on this is, we all know that there are many more guys out there who were juicing at one time or another before the MLB really cracked down. The guys who were caught are the ones we know about. I'd be willing to bet that there were a few on the 2005 team that were juicing. No proof, I realize, but there was speculation about at least Rowand and Everett.

This team looks so much better than last year. Significant improvement have been made to the starting rotation, DH, LF, and the bullpen. I'm excited to see this team play, and I can't wait until April.

perfect post.

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 09:19 PM)
Balta I am wondering how you feel about any of the off season moves? Just want to hear your view on how they did outside of this recent signing. I respect anyone's opinion to be sour on a signing, but I still personally have a hard time having trouble support the entire organization over 1 signing. But my guess since I am new you and others offended are of the Old School decent. Again I respect your opinion on that matter as well, just isn't me

I'd say that on paper this team has had a stunningly successful offseason. There are still issues like the bench setup but the roster on paper is strong enough that there's little reason to think they will be major issues and one or two minor moves could really help that.

From an emotional perspective alone I don't like this guy in particular, let alone a guy from Valpo ;) but I'll get past that.

From this point there's literally no excuse for this team to miss the playoffs. Anything less is a huge failure.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 07:41 AM)
I'd say that on paper this team has had a stunningly successful offseason. There are still issues like the bench setup but the roster on paper is strong enough that there's little reason to think they will be major issues and one or two minor moves could really help that.

From an emotional perspective alone I don't like this guy in particular, let alone a guy from Valpo ;) but I'll get past that.

From this point there's literally no excuse for this team to miss the playoffs. Anything less is a huge failure.

If last year's team could win 73 games, this team as constructed now should win 85+. If nothing goes wrong like injuries or a PEDs suspension :o , they should easily be contenders for the division.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 06:00 PM)
I think we can all agree that Melky makes this a better team. Maybe 2-3 games better? Can't think of how many times Tank & De Aza cost this team games last year with their fielding out there in left...

I'd rather watch Melky than Dayan Viciedo. Period.

I'm a baseball fan and my favorite team's the White Sox, has been my whole life an always will be. With that said I'm not a Melky fan. He cheated and then lied about it. I have mixed feelings about signing him but he's only one player on this team. Every team has a player or two I'm not fond of. I made it through the 2013 season, embarrassed yea but I still told everyone my favorite team was/is the White Sox. I'm not about to change that now. Without baseball life has little meaning for me. Go Sox

Edited by AlSoxfan

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 07:41 AM)

I would disagree. Detroit is still a better team overall and has the experience. Cleveland is a solid team as well. Who knows if the Royals can repeat the magic or whatever they pulled last year.

The Sox cannot determine what the other teams will do. However, you can say it's a failure if they don't win X number of games. I'm putting that at 88 personally.

I think you are setting it up to say "see the moves were bad and Robin is an idiot because they didn't make the playoffs."

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)
I think you are setting it up to say "see the moves were bad and Robin is an idiot because they didn't make the playoffs."

Frankly, no, I'm not going to say those moves were bad. Rick Hahn pulled a rabbit out of his hat and has a solid roster with a legit MLB starter at every positions, a solid pitching staff, and a seemingly solid bullpen.

But yeah, if this team comes out of the gates 10-15 and it's the same April clown show we've seen the last couple years and then winds up missing the playoffs, there's a pretty clear, well-earned fall guy.

He's got a roster with a huge salary boost, literally filled every single missing hole, and at least key guy in that is on a 1 year contract and a free agent at the end of this year. Darn well better expect them to be prepared to win now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)
Frankly, no, I'm not going to say those moves were bad. Rick Hahn pulled a rabbit out of his hat and has a solid roster with a legit MLB starter at every positions, a solid pitching staff, and a seemingly solid bullpen.

But yeah, if this team comes out of the gates 10-15 and it's the same April clown show we've seen the last couple years and then winds up missing the playoffs, there's a pretty clear, well-earned fall guy.

He's got a roster with a huge salary boost, literally filled every single missing hole, and at least key guy in that is on a 1 year contract and a free agent at the end of this year. Darn well better expect them to be prepared to win now.

I didn't realize Carlos Sanchez was suddenly Dustin Pedroia.