Reports: Sox sign Brad Penny

flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
I agree, but every team brings in retreads on minor league deals.

There will probably be 15-20 non-roster invites, and he's one of them. No big deal.

Yes. And we should invite a ton of starting pitchers because if no one has noticed, our spot starters are absolute garbage.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
I agree, but every team brings in retreads on minor league deals.

There will probably be 15-20 non-roster invites, and he's one of them. No big deal.

Yeah, he is on a minor league deal. I would bet he also has an opt out option for the end of March if the Sox don't put him on the 25 man roster. If he is good (lol) that is good for us. If he isn't, there isn't any harm all here. You send him the way of every other failed free agent minor league signing.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 12:14 PM)
As a pitcher or outfielder?

Why not both? I know he and Brad Penny were or are really good friends, Anderson was sort of trying to piece his baseball career back together (and I recall getting back to being an outfielder, but maybe the Sox can do something with his arm, who knows?), and I know he's been talking to Hahn working to help his baseball career. He's also making an appearance at Soxfest, as I recall. What harm is there in a Spring Training invite?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 12:17 PM)
Why not both? I know he and Brad Penny were or are really good friends, Anderson was sort of trying to piece his baseball career back together (and I recall getting back to being an outfielder, but maybe the Sox can do something with his arm, who knows?), and I know he's been talking to Hahn working to help his baseball career. He's also making an appearance at Soxfest, as I recall. What harm is there in a Spring Training invite?

And outfield coach? He can do it all!

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)
He can compete for a spot. If/when he gets shelled in ST then no harm done.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)
Because it's fun when the Sox sign people and I literally just said that if they can bring in someone like this who might work at the right cost, and Brad Penny might fit a rotation spot at the right cost.

Seriously, there's absolutely no harm in doing this.

Depth