2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised how mortal Bryant's numbers look after how impressive his first week or so was. The main stat I'm looking for with him is K%. It's at 32% right now. I'm doubtful that he'll ever get below 25%, which puts a lot of pressure on him to hit a bunch of homers to be elite

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 10, 2015 -> 03:47 PM)
I haven't seen a team, outside of the Cardinals, play decently against the Cubs all year. Brewers blow the lead with terrible D all around.

Pending today's result, the Brewers are 3-2 vs. the Cubs, 7-19 against everyone else. The Cubs are the only team they have played decently against.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/11/sports/b...html?_r=0\

This time, a very different Kris Bryant article from the NY Times.

All about hitting philosophy (most of it comes from Ted Williams...father actually met him when he toiled in the minors)...

“We’re going to learn how to do two things,” said Williams, the Hall of Famer whose famous mission was to be the greatest hitter who ever lived. “We’re going to hit it hard and we’re going to hit it in the air.”

The Cubs’ top baseball executives, Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer, grew up in New England and had worked for the Red Sox. They loved that Bryant was raised on the wisdom of Williams. But mostly they loved that in a game trending toward pitchers, Bryant was a polished, and unapologetic, slugger. “He knows that when he hits it clean, with the right swing, it’s a homer,” said Hoyer, the Cubs’ general manager. “Most of the guys, their fly balls often don’t go out, so, therefore, you want guys to hit the ball true, hit it low. Someone like him, that’s his swing path. It’ll go out if he hits it.”

“He’s being pitched to like he’s a triple crown winner,” Mike Bryant said last Friday. “It’s amazing. I’ve watched every game. He’s seen 374 pitches, and I’ve seen every single last one of them, and I can tell you, unequivocally, he’s gotten one pitch he could hit out of the yard that he’d be comfortable swinging at.” That pitch, Mike Bryant said, was a fastball on a cold night in Pittsburgh that went for a double. Soon enough, he is convinced, the home runs will come. The steady diet of breaking balls will help pitch recognition, and Kris’s discipline — and the dangerous Anthony Rizzo behind him in the lineup — will eventually get him more fastballs.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 11, 2015 -> 01:27 AM)
Sounds like more BS Cubs hype, it seems like the "pitch to him like he's a triple crown winner" method is working, the guy is a K machine.

That was his dad's quote, by the way...Mike Bryant, former minor leaguer.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 11, 2015 -> 01:27 AM)
Sounds like more BS Cubs hype, it seems like the "pitch to him like he's a triple crown winner" method is working, the guy is a K machine.

Yeah his K rate is only 400% of what Williams' was.

Otherwise, they're the same guy.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2015 -> 12:21 AM)
Another Bryant homer.

Seems he's going to be binge homer guy, now that he's managed to get that first one on the board.

He's going to be such a monster when wind starts blowing out.