2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 17, 2015 -> 02:39 PM)
This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you. Either way, please change your handle because it's an embarrassment to one of the greatest athletes of all-time.

And how long before hammerhead johnson shows his face in here. Trolls are like sith, always come in two's.

Can I get a PM of what was said?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2015 -> 02:55 PM)
Mavs and Spurs (twice) disagree...great teams/systems or always bet individual superstars in baseball, and usually in bb, too.

Heck, the Mavs weren't even a great team.

That's a very generous strike zone the ump's giving Burnett...at least to Soler there. Has it been consistent all day?

Basketball is a superstar driven league. It just is. Look at the team's who win it. Usually they have superstars.

Mavs didn't have a superstar? You know that Dirk guy? He completely dominated those playoffs... and the spurs have Tony, Duncan, and a goat coach. Sorry, but you are wrong. Superstars win in basketball.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 18, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
It's incredible how ready the media is to love the Cubs. Everyone saw it coming but my god is it jarring while it happens.

I googled Javy Baez after the Twitter rumors and saw all these "Baez is back" "Baez has adjusted" "Baez putting it together?" type articles. He's having a decent amount of success but he's had 72 PA's. Plus, the 72 PA's come with a .400+ BABIP in the PCL. Baseball people are getting so used to the Cubs hitting prospects being world beaters across the board so they're just trying to be ahead of the curve with Baez. His K/BB numbers have improved a lot but he's only had a SSS in his second year in the PCL. Dayan Viciedo had a .300/.350/.480 type line this time last year in the MLB. LJ Hoes is doing this in the PCL in more PAs .333/.424/.500/.924.

The Cubs Craze is in full swing right now. The stats community loves Theo and the Cubs but doesn't mention the following:

Bryant - 30% K%, .417 BABIP

Soler - 33% K%, .419 BABIP

Russell 37.4% K%, .380 BABIP

When thinking about their next prospect coming up, as a Sox fan who would prefer the Cubs to lose, I am much more worried about Schwarber. What a killer that guy is. Bryant-Rizzo-Schwarber-Soler is quite a young middle of the lineup looking at next year.

Yikes. The thing that bothers me most is that these hitters get to come up in the NL, and even worse, the NL Central. A place where pitchers throw soft junk, straight 92 from RH starters and where most #3 starters barely crack AL rotations. It's set up perfectly for them. It sucks.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 18, 2015 -> 09:33 AM)
It's incredible how ready the media is to love the Cubs. Everyone saw it coming but my god is it jarring while it happens.

I googled Javy Baez after the Twitter rumors and saw all these "Baez is back" "Baez has adjusted" "Baez putting it together?" type articles. He's having a decent amount of success but he's had 72 PA's. Plus, the 72 PA's come with a .400+ BABIP in the PCL. Baseball people are getting so used to the Cubs hitting prospects being world beaters across the board so they're just trying to be ahead of the curve with Baez. His K/BB numbers have improved a lot but he's only had a SSS in his second year in the PCL. Dayan Viciedo had a .300/.350/.480 type line this time last year in the MLB. LJ Hoes is doing this in the PCL in more PAs .333/.424/.500/.924.

The Cubs Craze is in full swing right now. The stats community loves Theo and the Cubs but doesn't mention the following:

Bryant - 30% K%, .417 BABIP

Soler - 33% K%, .419 BABIP

Russell 37.4% K%, .380 BABIP

When thinking about their next prospect coming up, as a Sox fan who would prefer the Cubs to lose, I am much more worried about Schwarber. What a killer that guy is. Bryant-Rizzo-Schwarber-Soler is quite a young middle of the lineup looking at next year.

Holy f***ing s*** is that bad. Quick, call them up and see what they'll give us for Davidson

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 17, 2015 -> 12:47 PM)
Amazing to me that even post-2005 so many Sox fans are awkward 13-year old girl insecure when it comes to the cubs. Face it, people. The Cubs are coming. They'll have the best offense in the game by 2017. And they have the system/resources to get the pitching they need.

I will not hold my breath been over 100 years and counting. Not all these prospects are all going to workout.

Edited by Soxfest

Or we should be rooting for Baez to get called up (where would he play, they're not going to convert him to LF/RF in the middle of this season) and fall flat on his face for a second time, leading to the Cubs being forced to trade Schwarber and/or Castro for starting pitching. God forbid if Almora starts to look legit again.

Fwiw, they're going back to Wada this week...

MLB Now was throwing out the rumor yesterday that the Cubs will trade either Russell or Castro for pitching. No clue about the validity of that but either one leaving could ruin the chemistry they have going right now.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 19, 2015 -> 05:47 AM)
MLB Now was throwing out the rumor yesterday that the Cubs will trade either Russell or Castro for pitching. No clue about the validity of that but either one leaving could ruin the chemistry they have going right now.

That has always been epstein's mo. Stockpile hitters and trade for proven pitching. Beckett and Schilling cone to mind as pitchers acquired for winning teams.

The problem with doing that is if Baez can't play 2B (offensively more than defensively), then they've just created another hole to replace the one they fixed.

They could probably stick Alcantara back there again, but pretty sure they don't want to do that at this point.

This is by far the best Kris Bryant "rumor" out there. That he could have been a Rhodes Scholar...their definition is REALLY pushing it.

Bryant has options if his baseball career doesn't pan out. Stafford said Bryant ranked second in his (Las Vegas high school) class while taking honors and advance placement courses.

Despite his ascent as a major league prospect, Bryant honored his commitment to the University of San Diego, succeeded as a finance major and could have filled out the paperwork to apply as a Rhodes Scholar at the end of his junior year there. But he didn't because had he achieved the honor, it would have steered him away from pursuing a professional baseball career for at least two years.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0314-story.html

Kris Bryant...he was heavily recruited by LSU, Arizona State, UC Irvine, Stanford, Clemson, Auburn, USC and Vanderbilt...chose to attend USD because of the great baseball program, the beach and the wonderful weather in San Diego...notes that he graduated high school with a 4.78 GPA, and that he is really into cars, and likes to play golf.

http://www.usdtoreros.com/sports/m-basebl/...ant_kris00.html

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 19, 2015 -> 06:51 AM)
Kris Bryant...he was heavily recruited by LSU, Arizona State, UC Irvine, Stanford, Clemson, Auburn, USC and Vanderbilt...chose to attend USD because of the great baseball program, the beach and the wonderful weather in San Diego...notes that he graduated high school with a 4.78 GPA, and that he is really into cars, and likes to play golf.

Wow, he's an everyday guy, just like you and me! How can you not like him??? :wub:

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 19, 2015 -> 07:51 AM)
Despite his ascent as a major league prospect, Bryant honored his commitment to the University of San Diego, succeeded as a finance major and could have filled out the paperwork to apply as a Rhodes Scholar at the end of his junior year there. But he didn't because had he achieved the honor, it would have steered him away from pursuing a professional baseball career for at least two years.[/i]

[/i]

That's like saying Adam Dunn could fill out the paperwork to run for president, but loves hanging out in Texas too much to do it. Definitely has nothing to do with his qualifications

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 19, 2015 -> 06:51 AM)
The problem with doing that is if Baez can't play 2B (offensively more than defensively), then they've just created another hole to replace the one they fixed.

They could probably stick Alcantara back there again, but pretty sure they don't want to do that at this point.

This is by far the best Kris Bryant "rumor" out there. That he could have been a Rhodes Scholar...their definition is REALLY pushing it.

Bryant has options if his baseball career doesn't pan out. Stafford said Bryant ranked second in his (Las Vegas high school) class while taking honors and advance placement courses.

Despite his ascent as a major league prospect, Bryant honored his commitment to the University of San Diego, succeeded as a finance major and could have filled out the paperwork to apply as a Rhodes Scholar at the end of his junior year there. But he didn't because had he achieved the honor, it would have steered him away from pursuing a professional baseball career for at least two years.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0314-story.html

And I graduated with a 5.54 GPA.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 19, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)
I don't get how Davidson relates here... They like guys who strikeout?

Correct, they'll overlook strikeouts and expect that guys will carry on, at least that was the idea in the joke.

Ricketts bought 3 more rooftops. They now own 6 and operate one they do not own.

I have always wondered why they didn't do this earlier. You can argue price, but the money they spent on litigation and the supposedly lost revenue of the video board delay probably more than offsets it.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2015 -> 02:36 PM)
Ricketts bought 3 more rooftops. They now own 6 and operate one they do not own.

I have always wondered why they didn't do this earlier. You can argue price, but the money they spent on litigation and the supposedly lost revenue of the video board delay probably more than offsets it.

He drove down their value's first by taking away potential revenue streams with his signs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 21, 2015 -> 02:47 PM)
He drove down their value's first by taking away potential revenue streams with his signs.

Yes, but Crane Kennedy said they lost over $60 million by not having the boards up, and who knows what they are paying lawyers.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2015 -> 10:19 PM)
Hendricks throws a shutout and Bryant/Russell homer. I don't like how this baseball season is going so far :)

The Cubs did it the hard way, the long way and the right way. It is bound to go fairly well for them this year and the years to come.

Oh look, another cheap hit by Bryant and bad outfield defense going to give the Cubs another win. He has more bloop hits than the entire Sox team this year it seems.

Meanwhile, Addison Reed is going to be out of baseball in a year or two

Edited by fathom