2015 Films thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 10, 2015 -> 09:34 AM)
i know, i was leaving a lot out of what i was writing. the film only skim over what he

did to help. no mention of coming to America to help break >>> and other things

he also help in breaking other codes.

there were several other gays working in that group. the there was a memtion of a

person who also was part of the Cambridge 5, the biggest group of spies.

lots of great stuff.

A lot of people who know the history of the man actually didn't quite like how they portrayed him, they supposedly went overboard on the "awkward genius" level with Turing but most people seem to suggest that he was a much more sociable person than portrayed.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2015 -> 03:44 PM)
A lot of people who know the history of the man actually didn't quite like how they portrayed him, they supposedly went overboard on the "awkward genius" level with Turing but most people seem to suggest that he was a much more sociable person than portrayed.

i read for hours yesterday on him. i remember him and the Turing machine, and how he

was the most important part of the unknown reasons the allies won the war.

but the movie took many liberties, as all movies do. i needed to know more si i did my researched.

and wow, how he help in many ways. like i said how he helped the US and his aid in helping

to breaking the Japanese enigma machine.

in the ending of how some are saying in his death or was it murder or something else.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 10, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)
i read for hours yesterday on him. i remember him and the Turing machine, and how he

was the most important part of the unknown reasons the allies won the war.

but the movie took many liberties, as all movies do. i needed to know more si i did my researched.

and wow, how he help in many ways. like i said how he helped the US and his aid in helping

to breaking the Japanese enigma machine.

in the ending of how some are saying in his death or was it murder or something else.

Dude, German Enigma machine.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2015 -> 06:21 PM)
Dude, German Enigma machine.

and he help in some way of helping the break the japanese code. honest it is

in Wikipedia and how he helped in many different ways.

maybe i am using the word Enigma the wrong way. i am talking about the japanese

code.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 10, 2015 -> 12:39 AM)
Benedict Cumberbatch. Kiera Knightley.

Brilliant actor. Right now, I'd say it's going to come down to the pr spin war between MLK/Selma and this film for the Oscar. The Imitation Game glosses over Alan Turing's homosexuality and shameful demise which was just recently rectified sixty years too late by the British government. MLK does the same with his indiscretions to focus primarily on the historical achievements.

Dr. Turing should be accorded a position as one of the five most important figures of the 20th century but he's barely a footnote in some textbooks.

Toss-up. I'll go Selma Better overall film.

I haven't seen Selma yet, but I don't need to in order to say that I'd bet every single penny I have that it wins the Oscar for Best Picture and Best Actor.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 10, 2015 -> 08:15 PM)
I haven't seen Selma yet, but I don't need to in order to say that I'd bet every single penny I have that it wins the Oscar for Best Picture and Best Actor.

it is an iconic moment in history.

i will see this move on monday, i hope if all goes well at work.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2015 -> 09:44 AM)

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/1...lan_turing.html

More Sherlock than Turing.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 10, 2015 -> 11:36 PM)

it goes back to what i said. i can not judge the movie on the acting or i can't judge

the acting b/c the movie is that good.

i will leave that to the other posters or movie experts. i can trust them to give a good

opinion on the acting. all i am saying it was overall a very great 2 hrs of entertainment.

i am weird, i love a movie or a show that gives me motivation to go and read on it

for several hrs. if it has some historical truth to it.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 09:50 AM)
I really don't get the fascination with Snowpiercer. It's a movie that's right up my alley (post apocalyptic scifi), but I don't even think it's good, let alone in the top 10. The entire movie is just a monotone mess to me. Chris Evans also does nothing for me.

I saw this about a month ago without ever having heard of it before- Amazon suggested it. By no means was it bad, but I didn't think it was anything to write home about. I was surprised to see that it was held in such high regard.

Another movie that Amazon recommended recently was The Signal. I enjoyed this one much more than Snowpiercer (even though it was very predictable).

http://www.salon.com/2015/01/08/leviathan_..._putins_russia/

Leviathan, the Russian foreign language film that just won Best Foreign Film, looks like a must-watch flick.

JK Simmons deservedly (or is it deservingly) won for Whiplash, Birdman for Screenplay (a bit of a surprise, Amy Adams for Big Eyes.

Most of the major awards are coming up still.

Boyhood is also getting its fair share of awards, this one for Patricia Arquette's quirky mother in the film.

The Theory of Everything, Boyhood, Selma and The Imitation Game would seem to be the Top 4 at this point, with The Grand Budapest Hotel on the outside looking in.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 over The Lego Movie is a bit of a head-scratcher.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 9, 2015 -> 09:50 AM)
M Knight's explanation of Signs was that they really weren't aliens, they were demons. The movie was about Gibson's struggle with his faith. The reason water killed the whatever's was because it was holy water. Seriously. :lol:

I really don't get the fascination with Snowpiercer. It's a movie that's right up my alley (post apocalyptic scifi), but I don't even think it's good, let alone in the top 10. The entire movie is just a monotone mess to me. Chris Evans also does nothing for me.

Agreed. My wife and I watched it a couple of weeks back, and we were really underwhelmed.

Maybe Snowpiercer was a product of hype...in the sense that when I watched it, my expectations weren't particularly high and I didn't even pay any attention until I noticed Chris Evans was in the film. Then I started to get into it...my joy with the film is more about the futuristic vision/cinematography than being particularly enamored with the ending. The other part of my puzzlement was how a movie like that barely made it to the theatres (that was only after a groundswell of "word of mouth") when there's so much unoriginal garbage, like Grown Ups 2 or The Hot Tub Time Machine 2 (I know, I secretly dug the first one but will surely be disappointed with the sequel) being produced.

This is a tough year, admittedly. Boyhood bores half the people who see it to death, the other half feel it's brilliant, amazing and any other adjective Michael Keaton didn't use last night. Selma, The Theory of Everything and The Imitation Game all have flaws because of their cinematic departures from the real stories, with Selma being the best of that lot. Same thing with The Grand Budapest...Wes Anderson has a devoted niche of followers, but his style of humor isn't for everyone, by any means.

Now that I consider all the movies, and their respective scripts, I'd have to say Birdman was the most original/inventive/creative/daring of the bunch.

Edited by caulfield12

Saw American Sniper last night.

It was a decent movie. Seemed more like here's a clip of him sniping a guy, here's another clip, here's a really moral conflicting one, here's another.

Movie didn't seem to have a real exciting story. You could fall asleep through parts and not miss anything important to the story. Also. I've read that Chris Kyle was much more of an asshole and a ruthless killer than they portray in the movie. I guess he was a hero, but he wasn't a nice person and was more of a channeled psychopath.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 11:14 PM)
Saw American Sniper last night.

It was a decent movie. Seemed more like here's a clip of him sniping a guy, here's another clip, here's a really moral conflicting one, here's another.

Movie didn't seem to have a real exciting story. You could fall asleep through parts and not miss anything important to the story. Also. I've read that Chris Kyle was much more of an asshole and a ruthless killer than they portray in the movie. I guess he was a hero, but he wasn't a nice person and was more of a channeled psychopath.

i got that as well. did you read about him and Jesse Ventura and Jesse has a lawsuit against

his estate.

however no matter what, the most snipers kills.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 06:02 AM)
I don't take the Globes results seriously. They reward the new shows and some of their movie nominees are just out there. Think critics put too much stock in them.

Amy Poehler just continues to age wonderfully.

You think critics put too much stock in the golden globes? They are pretty much regarded as a joke, but most watch because it's a lot looser than the oscars.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 04:30 PM)
You think critics put too much stock in the golden globes? They are pretty much regarded as a joke, but most watch because it's a lot looser than the oscars.

More drunken behavior....and the Hollywood Foreign Press!!!

One thing it is....more starpower with the inclusion of the tv categories, whereas there are some years (like when The Artist was the top movie) that the motivation of everyday Americans to watch the Oscars is practically nil.

I watch the Oscars beginning to end every year. I know, mock me. I put validity in those winners despite hating the idea that movies are made to win awards.

The TV awards at the Globes? C'mon. No way The Affair was best drama. Or the girl from Jane the Virgin is best actress.

I guess I have to see that Julianne Moore movie. No real lead woman stands out this year like Blanchett did last year.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 07:20 PM)
I watch the Oscars beginning to end every year. I know, mock me. I put validity in those winners despite hating the idea that movies are made to win awards.

The TV awards at the Globes? C'mon. No way The Affair was best drama. Or the girl from Jane the Virgin is best actress.

I guess I have to see that Julianne Moore movie. No real lead woman stands out this year like Blanchett did last year.

Away from Her, Iris and Amour are all much better "Alzheimer's movies."

If it weren't for the performance of Moore, this one would easily fit on the Lifetime or Oprah Network, especially due to the presence/s of Kimberly Stewart, Alec Baldwin and Kate Bosworth.

I put it in the okay/decent movie category, with a superior acting performance embedded within in, like Big Eyes (although honestly I don't quite understand the canonization of Amy Adams). It's also not a movie I would be happy paying $10-15 to see in a theatre, or a date movie, either.

The Gambler 3.25/5

Unbroken 3.75/5

Predestination 3.50/5 (either this movie is totally transcendent or it's terrible and impossible to follow, I'm still not sure after one viewing but I'm leaning towards the incomprehensible argument, it almost feels like they started backwards from the ending and tried to fill in the rest of the plot...)

Has anyone else seen John Wick? Awesome movie, better than Snowpiercer of the "underdog/indie" movies made with smaller production and marketing budgets. And superior to its cousins, The Equalizer and Taken 3.

Another movie to consider if you do like Predestination is an even smaller budget film, Coherence, which is a lot of fun.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 11:00 AM)
After watching that Avengers trailer, it seems likely that Hulk is gonna get shot into space to start the Planet Hulk storyline. Things do not look good for the rage machine and his bros

Thanks, Mr. Spoiler.