2015 Films thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 25, 2015 -> 10:06 PM)
Birdman and Eddie Remayne (Theory of Everything/Hawking biopic) win honors at SAG Awards.

Only one thing is for sure at this point, both JK Simmons and Julianne Moore will win Oscars for Whiplash and Still Alice.

That was pretty clear a month ago.

The race for Best Actor is interesting now. A month ago I would've thought Keaton but not so sure now.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 26, 2015 -> 04:50 AM)
That was pretty clear a month ago.

The race for Best Actor is interesting now. A month ago I would've thought Keaton but not so sure now.

Two "serious" reflections tonight.

1) Johnny Depp seriously needs a challenging role...and no, Into the Woods doesn't quite count as a starring turn. He's essentially become a parody of himself.

2) The Taken series isn't being taken seriously anymore.

I downloaded and watched Birdman. It's very, very, very, very good.

It's the type of movie 10 years ago that would never have worked, because the cgi wouldn't have seemed effortless and no one would've given it a chance.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 26, 2015 -> 01:25 PM)
Two "serious" reflections tonight.

1) Johnny Depp seriously needs a challenging role...and no, Into the Woods doesn't quite count as a starring turn. He's essentially become a parody of himself.

2) The Taken series isn't being taken seriously anymore.

ref depp, yeah, i haven't seen anything that is challenging for him. but when he makes 30-40 mil per movie.... does he have too?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 26, 2015 -> 02:00 PM)

It's the type of movie 10 years ago that would never have worked, because the cgi wouldn't have seemed effortless and no one would've given it a chance.

that birdman movie is outthere. but i swear it like watching as i said the late 50-60 indie film. great movie, meaning it great and challenging.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 26, 2015 -> 08:00 AM)

Of course, I would have said the same about Pan's Labyrinth, for example.

As far as Birdman, it doesn't fly without Norton, Watts and Stone. Not sure this movie can get made with just Michael Keaton's name attached.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 26, 2015 -> 03:27 PM)
Of course, I would have said the same about Pan's Labyrinth, for example.

As far as Birdman, it doesn't fly without Norton, Watts and Stone. Not sure this movie can get made with just Michael Keaton's name attached.

i agree, i just can't see it without both, norton and keaton. its like batman without robin. but these two actors are great actors.

the rest of the cast that added to the whole experience.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 26, 2015 -> 03:00 PM)

another movie you just gottsss to see is whiplasy.

i never knew it was the kids from divergent, and he did his drumming himself.

Taken 3 wasn't as terrible as some of the reviews, but it's clearly a case or diminishing returns with that franchise.

A notch down from The Equalizer, which isn't one of Denzel's best movies by a long shot.

Finally saw The Hobbit finale here in China (Hunger Games finally arriving next month)...it made around $50 million this past weekend despite the long delay in order to protect local Chinese films in December.

It was okay/decent, but that's about as far as I'll go. Definitely time to close the book on that trilogy and for Peter Jackson to move on to new challenges.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 01:17 AM)
Taken 3 wasn't as terrible as some of the reviews, but it's clearly a case or diminishing returns with that franchise.

A notch down from The Equalizer, which isn't one of Denzel's best movies by a long shot.

Finally saw The Hobbit finale here in China (Hunger Games finally arriving next month)...it made around $50 million this past weekend despite the long delay in order to protect local Chinese films in December.

It was okay/decent, but that's about as far as I'll go. Definitely time to close the book on that trilogy and for Peter Jackson to move on to new challenges.

ref taken3, it was really bad editing in which they had a stunt man to the running for liam in the sewers. but at least i hope they had a conclusion to the series. easy entertainment.

Equalizer really surprise me on how good it was.

the hobbit made all its money if the first installment. part 2 and 3 were nothing but gravy... easy entertainment.

i really can't come around to see hunger games at the movie.... i hate the last book.

i am finally seeing intersteller. i am just past the first hour. man it is good. a few holes....

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 26, 2015 -> 07:15 PM)
ref taken3, it was really bad editing in which they had a stunt man to the running for liam in the sewers. but at least i hope they had a conclusion to the series. easy entertainment.

Equalizer really surprise me on how good it was.

the hobbit made all its money if the first installment. part 2 and 3 were nothing but gravy... easy entertainment.

i really can't come around to see hunger games at the movie.... i hate the last book.

i am finally seeing intersteller. i am just past the first hour. man it is good. a few holes....

Hobbit (total international)...a little over $1 billion

Desolation of Smaug....$960 million

Battle of the Five Armies...currently sitting at $867 million (just made almost $50 million this past weekend in China and definitely will make it to at least $900 counting China alone)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 01:48 AM)
Hobbit (total international)...a little over $1 billion

Desolation of Smaug....$960 million

Battle of the Five Armies...currently sitting at $867 million (just made almost $50 million this past weekend in China and definitely will make it to at least $900 counting China alone)

all that is shear profit..... sweet.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 03:53 AM)
http://news.moviefone.com/2013/10/04/hobbit-trilogy-cost/

Not exactly, Hobbit An Unexpected Journey ended up costing over $500 million, which is supposedly more than the first three LOTR movies combined.

unless i am reading this wrong, as i said 600 mil for the whole 3 movies to be made.... which was made up in the first release. then the 2 and final movie is all pure profit.

Interstellar was a "pretty good" movie that had grand ambitions and strived to be great but got lost somewhere along the way.

In particular, bringing in Matt Damon 2/3rd's of the way in was kind of jarring to the viewer...and then the whole series of "Inception-like" scenes at the end that attempted to explain the logic behind the events taking place, maybe it's just too difficult to make a movie based on a physics book accessible to the same "Middle Americans" who are swarming to American Sniper, or it was just a flaw in the screenplay/adaptation.

I've always liked Anne Hathaway, but, for some reason....I really disliked her performance in this one. Michael Caine wasn't particularly likable, either.

There's just something detached about the cohesive whole...McConaughey and Jessica Chastain were good, but the ending lacked a certain "oooomph" to me.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 12:55 AM)
Interstellar was a "pretty good" movie that had grand ambitions and strived to be great but got lost somewhere along the way.

In particular, bringing in Matt Damon 2/3rd's of the way in was kind of jarring to the viewer...and then the whole series of "Inception-like" scenes at the end that attempted to explain the logic behind the events taking place, maybe it's just too difficult to make a movie based on a physics book accessible to the same "Middle Americans" who are swarming to American Sniper, or it was just a flaw in the screenplay/adaptation.

I've always liked Anne Hathaway, but, for some reason....I really disliked her performance in this one. Michael Caine wasn't particularly likable, either.

There's just something detached about the cohesive whole...McConaughey and Jessica Chastain were good, but the ending lacked a certain "oooomph" to me.

i really enjoyed the movie. i was totally surprise at the whole story like. there was some parts i felt that i needed to take out my old physics books and brush up.

McConaughey has really improved, that is what really surprised me. the little girl boy grew from the twilight movie. i agree with you on Hathaway and Caine.... they could have really replace them and it would hurt the movie.

overall nice entertainment.

XMen: Days of Future Past - 2 out of 5 stars. Hard to really get into the movie. Not a strong plot in

either of the story's timelines

. Quite a few little annoying nitpicks about the script's portrayal of 1973; while, the "future" scenes could have been made in a warehouse and with crazy CGI and probably were. A waste of time and acting ability for the great actors that were in the older films (Stewart, McKellen, Berry.)

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)
XMen: Days of Future Past - 2 out of 5 stars. Hard to really get into the movie. Not a strong plot in

either of the story's timelines

. Quite a few little annoying nitpicks about the script's portrayal of 1973; while, the "future" scenes could have been made in a warehouse and with crazy CGI and probably were. A waste of time and acting ability for the great actors that were in the older films (Stewart, McKellen, Berry.)

i don't know, i been really disappointed with the x-men series for a while now. thanks.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 05:29 PM)
I liked the very first one and First Class but others have been lackluster to me.

yeah it started to get like ok we have a ok plot, put in some really special effects, lets incorporate wolverine more, oh lets put more special affect, oh lets pay the actors.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 06:56 PM)
Imitation Game was pretty great. Lot more to the story than I thought.

The real story isn't quite as dramatic or compelling, but there's a lot to learn that I wasn't even aware of as a former history teacher (who's probably too American-centric).

WILD with Reese Witherspoon as Cheryl Strayed was, at least to me, a lesser version of 127 Hours.

It's more of a "self-help/empowerment" film and strong performance within a decent film than anything else.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 1, 2015 -> 09:44 AM)
Saw Birdman. Very predictable story, but great movie nevertheless. Interstellar comfortably remains my favorite movie of 2014- saw it again last weekend ahead of the last few places still showing it pulling it.

i agree, i was really hoping that michael keaton would win the oscars, but steve carell, and eddie redmayne should be favorites to win.