Balta1701

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 06:45 AM)
Watched "Blue Ruin" on Netflix. Interesting. Don't remember seeing a movie with so little dialogue but it's a well made indy movie. Lots of tension.

Blue Ruin wasn't bad. It had its moments, in a Deliverance type way. Much better than "Out of the Furnace" as well.

I like another movie I saw that same day, COHERENCE, even more.

Both were on one of those "indie movies you might have missed" lists.

It's my goal not only to beat Brian in most posts by a non-admin, but also the highest average per day...that's easy to do because of the game threads, so he will get woefully behind if this season turns out to be as exciting as promised.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 04:23 PM)
Blue Ruin wasn't bad. It had its moments, in a Deliverance type way. Much better than "Out of the Furnace" as well.

speaking of indie kind of movie, anyone seen Humbling with Al Pacino....

ref to stats.... i remember when most of us came to this site, it was easy to post a 100 in a day. i sometimes am guilty of looking, not b/c of stat padding, but b/c the topic was a great topic, it had energy, it had posters commenting, it had the recipes for being a great thread. but some of those threads are far and few in-between.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 10:23 AM)

It's my goal not only to beat Brian in most posts by a non-admin, but also the highest average per day...that's easy to do because of the game threads, so he will get woefully behind if this season turns out to be as exciting as promised.

That is where you'll get me. I can't do game threads.

Waiting with bated breath for anyone in the next two weeks to admit to seeing either Jupiter Ascending or 50 Shades of Grey.

Fwiw, the Wachowskis are nearing M. Night Shymalan territory.

They're down to maybe two more "big budget" failures if they're lucky. Could be just one.

As for 50 Shades, I think they're being very optimistic. It's not really a suitable Valentine's Day movie in terms of material/content. Whether it will draw women together for "Girls Night Out" like Magic Mike is highly debatable...still believe there's enough of a stigma attached to attending movies like this in the theatre that most will wait to view it via other formats. Many enjoyed the first half of the first book and quickly got bored/lost interest in the whole phenomenon. Then again, could be a massive underestimating all those "bored housewives" and/or hidden BDSM world. In the end, I'm predicting American "grassroots"/Middle America conservatism to win out. Those same moviegoers who've made American Sniper a huge hit, in other words.

http://pro.boxoffice.com/featured_stories/...-shades-of-grey

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 05:49 PM)
I can't imagine 50SOG being good or living up to the book without being NC-17.

http://www.filmibeat.com/hollywood/news/20...html#slide75896

I have a feeling it's going to be a huge disappointment. If it was Charlie Hunnam in the Christian role, I would have watched it as a big SOA fan, but only my wife will want to see it now.

I know this has nothing to do with films (although I guess it has something to do with post count), and I would post it in the help section or something but I don't think anyone would ever read it, so, is this information on the front page correct? I feel like that's a weird time to have so many users online, and my member number is higher than 5306...

We have 5,306 registered members

Most users ever online was 1,977 on Mar 5, 2014 -> 09:46 AM

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
Yes Fathom is 3rd overall and highest of the non mods/admins crew. If Brian were ever to make a run(which he wont), I'd make sure Gage would make him a mod/admin so he wouldn't get to have the record.

I'm not about individual stats. I'm about the team.

Dick.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 8, 2015 -> 05:33 PM)
Waiting with bated breath for anyone in the next two weeks to admit to seeing either Jupiter Ascending or 50 Shades of Grey.

Fwiw, the Wachowskis are nearing M. Night Shymalan territory.

They're down to maybe two more "big budget" failures if they're lucky. Could be just one.

As for 50 Shades, I think they're being very optimistic. It's not really a suitable Valentine's Day movie in terms of material/content. Whether it will draw women together for "Girls Night Out" like Magic Mike is highly debatable...still believe there's enough of a stigma attached to attending movies like this in the theatre that most will wait to view it via other formats. Many enjoyed the first half of the first book and quickly got bored/lost interest in the whole phenomenon. Then again, could be a massive underestimating all those "bored housewives" and/or hidden BDSM world. In the end, I'm predicting American "grassroots"/Middle America conservatism to win out. Those same moviegoers who've made American Sniper a huge hit, in other words.

http://pro.boxoffice.com/featured_stories/...-shades-of-grey

1) Didn't that series sell 100 million copies? I don't think many people got sick of it. I know a lot of women, my wife included, who read them and thought they were pretty terrible, yet somehow "managed" to finish all of the books.

2) I thought pre-sales were really strong, especially in the conservative-oriented South?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 02:35 PM)
1) Didn't that series sell 100 million copies? I don't think many people got sick of it. I know a lot of women, my wife included, who read them and thought they were pretty terrible, yet somehow "managed" to finish all of the books.

2) I thought pre-sales were really strong, especially in the conservative-oriented South?

http://www.fox16.com/story/d/story/arkansa...4kUWAjH0NrFNDEA

I'd like to see more substantive evidence than that. Ridiculously small sample size.

I don't even understand how they could claim AR and MS are the two highest in the country with those numbers...maybe the first state to have a theater sell out in pre-sales, but that's still pushing it since the theatre is very small compared to the majority of multiplexes in the country.

At any rate, I believe a lot of moviegoers are also waiting for some of the initial reviews. If it's trending more like a Cinemax-quality movie than something you'd pay $10-15 for....plus, we all know with an R rating that the majority of sex scenes are getting cut, so what are you actually left with if you strip all that away from the movie?

At metacritic and rottentomatoes, no critics have been able to screen/review it yet. That's USUALLY a bad sign, 90% of the time.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 06:51 PM)
Lego Movie has been such an incredible discovery for my kids.

My Chinese wife just didn't quite understand the humor and mostly the cultural references...and a lot of times the translations online aren't very accurate either.

It's criminal how that movie got overlooked by the Oscars and Golden Globes.

Frozen was a huge hit here.

Big Hero 6 is coming soon here, that's a very good one as well.

Anton Yelchin (Star Trek), Robbie Amell (Firestorm on the Flash), Ansel Elgort (The Fault in our Stars/Divergent), Drake Bell...

Tobey Maguire, which would be the most interesting and controversial move

Dylan O'Brien (The Maze Runner), Dave Franco (James' brother), Logan Lerman (Percy Jackson), Freddie Highmore (British), Donald Glover (African-American Spiderman?)

Drake Bell (cartoon voicework only so far), Elgort, O'Brien or Maguire would have to be considered the four favorites at this point.