2015 Films thread

Balta1701

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 02:50 AM)
Finally saw Birdman. Holy hell, that was incredible.

I wanted to see that and Boyhood before the Oscars. Haven't gotten around to Birdman, but I watched Boyhood last weekend, and while it's creative film making, I found it really boring. It's certainly not best Picture material, in my opinion....and nobody should be getting a best acting nomination.

IIRC, there were a few people on here that are fans of Stephen King's book 11/22/63. It was announced last year that it will be a 9-hour mini-series on HULU. James Franco was just announced as the lead character.

Not a horrible choice but certainly not who I pictured in my mind either. I'm looking forward to this as it's one of my favorite SK books and I'm really hoping it doesn't turn into what Under the Dome became.

http://www.people.com/article/james-franco...63-stephen-king

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 06:40 AM)
I wanted to see that and Boyhood before the Oscars. Haven't gotten around to Birdman, but I watched Boyhood last weekend, and while it's creative film making, I found it really boring. It's certainly not best Picture material, in my opinion....and nobody should be getting a best acting nomination.

It won't, just Patricia Arquette...and it's more of a "lifetime" body of work achievement IMO.

I agree that it's not the kind of film that you would ever want to revisit again, and it's not what you would call entertaining...but it was a labor of love to come up with that film-making concept of following a main character in "real life" for 12 years. It's kind of like when we get upset with actors getting rewarded for massive physical changes (Charlize Theron as a serial killer or Eddie Redmayne as Stephen Hawking), playing someone with mental challenges (Russell Crowe as John Forbes Nash), etc. If you do something out of the ordinary as a director as well, it deserves praise but not necessarily the best picture.

Boyhood might be the "least loved" best picture of any movie from this generation of films with the possible exception of The Artist.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 11:31 AM)
IIRC, there were a few people on here that are fans of Stephen King's book 11/22/63. It was announced last year that it will be a 9-hour mini-series on HULU. James Franco was just announced as the lead character.

Not a horrible choice but certainly not who I pictured in my mind either. I'm looking forward to this as it's one of my favorite SK books and I'm really hoping it doesn't turn into what Under the Dome became.

http://www.people.com/article/james-franco...63-stephen-king

Interesting. I wonder how it will turnout. That was the best King book I have read since the Stand.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 08:54 AM)
Maybe they retcon Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection?

I realize folks may disagree with this, but... I really liked Alien3 and thought it was a good ending for the film set. I really did NOT like Resurrection and like to pretend that movie doesn't exist.

But since they used the phrase "back from the dead" for Hicks, and showed him with lots of burn marks, I have to think they are acknowledging A3's story line is still in place.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 09:07 AM)
I realize folks may disagree with this, but... I really liked Alien3 and thought it was a good ending for the film set. I really did NOT like Resurrection and like to pretend that movie doesn't exist.

But since they used the phrase "back from the dead" for Hicks, and showed him with lots of burn marks, I have to think they are acknowledging A3's story line is still in place.

I agree, I liked 3 and despised resurrection. But if they stick with 3 as the jumping point, then i guess both of them are brought back from the dead

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 01:57 PM)
Kingsman was F'n awesome.

Agreed.

I think the whole British aspect added a lot to the movie. If it was a film that was set in the US with american actors I dont think I would have enjoyed it as much. The only reason why I even point this out is that I heard a lot of people who hadnt seen it say they thought they wouldn't like it because it was british actors and setting.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 09:37 AM)
Agreed.

I think the whole British aspect added a lot to the movie. If it was a film that was set in the US with american actors I dont think I would have enjoyed it as much. The only reason why I even point this out is that I heard a lot of people who hadnt seen it say they thought they wouldn't like it because it was british actors and setting.

Thought the same thing. Was one of Eggsey's friends one of the kids from Inbetweeners?