WhiteSox and Emilio Bonifacio agree to one year, $4 million contr

Downtown518

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 03:21 PM)
Yeah, sometimes there's a lag time between a signing being made public and a physical to make it official. Could be days, and they're obviously trying to move Viciedo for anything.

as most of the market, teams, who could have used DV is drying up,

i still like the possible TPA tade. they really could use a better dh.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 09:23 AM)
If he has another good ST, I think he can certainly compete to be that platoon for Gillaspie. Then make the bench Davidson, Bonifacio, Danks, Brantly/Kottraras

That's what I'm talking about. Had this signing in my very first off season mock.

That's what I was looking at too. I'm rooting for Davidson to be good enough, but holy crap, what a bad season he's coming off of.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 09:21 AM)
Yeah, sometimes there's a lag time between a signing being made public and a physical to make it official. Could be days, and they're obviously trying to move Viciedo for anything.

Viciedo makes a lot of sense to the Astros in my opinion? Anyone agree?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 08:27 AM)
No offense to anyone here, but if Rick Hahn is getting personnel ideas from Soxtalk, JR needs to find a new GM.

Thanks, Dick.

And no offense to you, I don't think anyone seriously thinks that Rick Hahn takes advices from Soxtalk. If he did, we would've signed every free agent out there this offseason, and traded for Upton, Kemp, Castro, CarGo and Viciedo would have been long gone by now.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 09:25 AM)
And no offense to you, I don't think anyone seriously thinks that Rick Hahn takes advices from Soxtalk. If he did, we would've signed every free agent out there this offseason, and traded for Upton, Kemp, Castro, CarGo and Viciedo would have been long gone by now.

I think he saw the disappointment from us in the Denorfia signing and said " I raise you Bonifacio"

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 09:20 AM)
defensively or offensively????

Both. If Bonifacio is playing every day, he doesn't hit RH much at all. The one advantage he has over Beckham is his legs.

His versatility is what makes him more valuable. Emilio as an every day 2B would be below average IMO, although he has had a big year before.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 09:18 AM)
I would think that Andy Wilkins or Raul Fernandez will be DFA to make room unless a trade is coming.

Maybe, but given the presence of Bonifacio, Sanchez and Saladino on there, I would think L Garcia is a more likely candidate in this case. Wilkins is a real possibility too, but I bet he'd get claimed and that leaves the Sox with Dan Black as their emergency 1B/DH (not a great position to be in). LGarcia is the one least valuable to the team and he's unlikely to be claimed.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 04:28 PM)
Both. If Bonifacio is playing every day, he doesn't hit RH much at all. The one advantage he has over Beckham is his legs.

His versatility is what makes him more valuable. Emilio as an every day 2B would be below average IMO, although he has had a big year before.

not a bad opinion. i would like to see another yr of Emilio before i really

catalog him as this so so kind of player.

thanks

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 09:30 AM)
I think just the opposite. The Astros are the most sabermetric team in baseball. Viciedo is a sabermetric bum.

I understand, but they wanted to spend a ton of money on a closer when they were #2 to both Miller and Robertson and that that is not part of the saber metric system.

Perfect signing. Backup at CF, 3B, and even 2B.

Wonder if this leaves the door open for Dayan to stay with the team though? He could be the LF/RF/DH platoon and backup with Bonifacio, Sanchez(if Micah wins the job), Viciedo, and Shuck/Danks as the bench? I'm sure most would complain if he's still on the team but it wouldn't bother me at all.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 09:35 AM)
Not breaking any new ground here, but there's lot to like about this:

He can play multiple positions.

He hits lefties.

The cost is minimal.

His signing signifies that Hahn reads Soxtalk.

He doesn't hit left handed very well.

.250/.311/.326, .286 wOBA, 73 wRC+ in 1947 career PAs against RHP as a LHH

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 04:51 PM)
Perfect signing. Backup at CF, 3B, and even 2B.

Wonder if this leaves the door open for Dayan to stay with the team though? He could be the LF/RF/DH platoon and backup with Bonifacio, Sanchez(if Micah wins the job), Viciedo, and Shuck/Danks as the bench? I'm sure most would complain if he's still on the team but it wouldn't bother me at all.

actually i am of the thinking that he can provide a safety value for

any injury in the outfielders. but the main problem with that, he will

be a 4+ mil a yr as Emilio.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 09:53 AM)
He doesn't hit left handed very well.

.250/.311/.326, .286 wOBA, 73 wRC+ in 1947 career PAs against RHP as a LHH

He said he hits lefties. Left handed pitchers, where he is much better when he hits righty. You just mixed them up.