WhiteSox and Emilio Bonifacio agree to one year, $4 million contr

Downtown518

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 09:15 AM)
Looking at the makeup of the team, it's too bad Davidson isn't good enough to be a straight platoon with Gillaspie at 3B.

I still have hopes he mashes this year and overtakes Gillaspie later in the year and is serviceable. Bonifacio is overrated on this site, but he is a valuable add cause of the versatility. Nice deal.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 09:29 AM)
Mr Hahn is a baseball demi-god. that is a great sign. too freaking

bad i don't live in chi, i would be getting a pack of tickets for next

season.

sox in "15

Same here. Moved out of state in 2011. First time I've truly wished I was back to go to a Sox game. Will have to plan a trip this summer for sure.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 05:24 PM)
Same here. Moved out of state in 2011. First time I've truly wished I was back to go to a Sox game. Will have to plan a trip this summer for sure.

i was planning on going to soxfest, but our mardi gras ball is then.

This is a solid signing given that he's used correctly. He should probably only start against left handed pitchers.

I don't want to see him as our starting 2B opening day. That'd be completely missing the point.

Love it. Helps bring much needed quality and depth to the bench. A good platoon option with Conor at 3B, brings at least average defensive cover in the OF, 3B and 2B as well as good speed and baserunning. Also a decent insurance option if Sanchez/Micah are a bust/not ready to go at 2nd.

Swish, he's balling ... Rick Hahn is so awesome.

Seriously, Hahn has given us Sox fans everything we could've wanted this offseason and more.

Even if the Sox have a disappointing season, you can't blame it on Hahn. He's done what everyone wanted him to do.

Essentially, the Sox replaced Semien and Leury Garcia with Bonifacio, which is amazing.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 10:32 AM)
This is a solid signing given that he's used correctly. He should probably only start against left handed pitchers.

I don't want to see him as our starting 2B opening day. That'd be completely missing the point.

I hope he'll be used as the utilityman that he is, but I have a feeling we'll try to start him at second.

Hmmm. Ugh. Will the real Emilio Bonifacio please stand up?

Last year vs. LHP, he batted .365, had a .411 OBP, and had an OPS of .959. Yay! :wub:

*just for fun, checks 3 year span, from 2012-2014*

:unsure:

2013 it was .231, .295, and .568. :ph34r:

2012 it was .210, .256, and .503. :huh

2012-2014 combined he's .271, .324, and .683.

Can someone who has seen him play a decent amount shed some light on this? Was 2014 a fluke? Because it seems to be a big outlier when looking at his past performances.

QUOTE (lvjeremylv @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 12:22 PM)

Last year vs. LHP, he batted .365, had a .411 OBP, and had an OPS of .959. Yay! :wub:

Can someone who has seen him play a decent amount shed some light on this? Was 2014 a fluke? Because it seems to be a big outlier when looking at his past performances.

There are going to be a lot of swings because of the lack of lefties. If he is just average against LHP, it will be an upgrade. While he is overrated here, I don't think anyone really thinks a .959 OPS against LHP is realistic in 2015. From what I have seen from him, he's either really hot or really cold, at least the last few years.

thanks, Dick.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 12:19 PM)
I hope he'll be used as the utilityman that he is, but I have a feeling we'll try to start him at second.

I don't get that feeling at all. Think the Sox have Bonifcatio pegged as the 10th man and they'll give Sanchez his shot.

Just that platoon numbers from year-to-year are pretty small samples. You're talking no more than 136 PA's against lefties in any of those three seasons. Look at the career numbers (.291/.340/.380/.720) and it's clear he's capable enough.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)
Just that platoon numbers from year-to-year are pretty small samples. You're talking no more than 136 PA's against lefties in any of those three seasons. Look at the career numbers (.291/.340/.380/.720) and it's clear he's capable enough.

I guess. But how many years back are relevant? Is what someone did in 2011 really relevant for what you can expect in 2015? I dunno. I just hope 2012 and 2013 were weird flukes, rather than 2014 being the weird fluke. And yeah, small sample sizes, but presumably that's what we can expect him to have on our team, is anywhere from 100-150 at-bats. We don't want him having anymore than that, right?

Matt Hoeppner ‏@matthoeppner 54m54 minutes ago

New #WhiteSox utility player Emilio Bonifacio has a career 118 OPS+ against left-handed pitching.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)
I don't get that feeling at all. Think the Sox have Bonifcatio pegged as the 10th man and they'll give Sanchez his shot.

I really think Micah is the favorite for the 2B job. If you assume he's the long-term answer and anywhere close to ready, then giving him the starting job this year is the better alternative than spending two full seasons developing rookie 2Bs (Sanchez in 2015 and then Micah in 2016).

And quite frankly, I think the Sox believe a healthy Micah Johnson is ready enough for a shot at the majors. His speed gives him a tool that will make him at least somewhat dangerous at the bottom of the order even if he struggles with the bat. And they may feel that working with the major league coaching staff and playing alongside Alexei would be good for his defensive development.

Not saying that's the right call, but Merkin has pushing him hard since the end of last year as the starting 2B for 2015 and this is one of those rare occasions where he actually might have some insight into what the front office is thinking and is not just spitting out the normal fluff.

QUOTE (lvjeremylv @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 12:37 PM)
I guess. But how many years back are relevant? Is what someone did in 2011 really relevant for what you can expect in 2015? I dunno. I just hope 2012 and 2013 were weird flukes, rather than 2014 being the weird fluke. And yeah, small sample sizes, but presumably that's what we can expect him to have on our team, is anywhere from 100-150 at-bats. We don't want him having anymore than that, right?

They're all probably weird flukes and anything can happen next year. It's just if I had to guess one line, it would be close to the career line.

I agree that we don't want too see him overused - something else will have gone wrong if that happens.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
I really think Micah is the favorite for the 2B job. If you assume he's the long-term answer and anywhere close to ready, then giving him the starting job this year is the better alternative than spending two full seasons developing rookie 2Bs (Sanchez in 2015 and then Micah in 2016).

And quite frankly, I think the Sox believe a healthy Micah Johnson is ready enough for a shot at the majors. His speed gives him a tool that will make him at least somewhat dangerous at the bottom of the order even if he struggles with the bat. And they may feel that working with the major league coaching staff and playing alongside Alexei would be good for his defensive development.

Not saying that's the right call, but Merkin has pushing him hard since the end of last year as the starting 2B for 2015 and this is one of those rare occasions where he actually might have some insight into what the front office is thinking and is not just spitting out the normal fluff.

The better alternative for 2015 would be to play the better guy. I find it unlikely that it'll be Micah next year, but I do agree the Sox seem to like him more.

I really applaud this deal. I think we would have loved to get Zobrist but with Bonifacio we get a great signing of a versatile player with speed and save prospects and money. . I anticipate a possible trade coming that may send Viciedo somewhere soon.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 09:30 AM)
Maybe, but given the presence of Bonifacio, Sanchez and Saladino on there, I would think L Garcia is a more likely candidate in this case. Wilkins is a real possibility too, but I bet he'd get claimed and that leaves the Sox with Dan Black as their emergency 1B/DH (not a great position to be in). LGarcia is the one least valuable to the team and he's unlikely to be claimed.

I would think the Sox would keep him around for his versatility. He is an adequate 25th guy who can play anywhere.I don't see that as a case in any of the others. I'm sure there are others in the system who cannot do anything at the MLB level. Garcia brings adequate defense all over the field.

Edit: My point was they would keep him in the minors. With the signing, they don't need him in the MLB.

Edited by ptatc