If you could acquire one last player to complete the offseason...

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well too bad there wasn't any new, news of players signing or surprises. to me, this weekend was nothing but a all media, super hype feel good about this team weekend.

too bad.

the teams still has holes

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 22, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)
I don't see how next year is "the big offseason" for them. Even without Samardzija they've got $97 million committed assuming Alexei is picked up. Add in maybe an option on Bonifacio and a decent selection of arbitration guys and they're at >$110 million, almost their entire 2015 payroll, without adding a single player. Add in an extension for Samardzija and they'd be talking about $130 million in commitments without adding a single thing and with letting guys like Viciedo walk.

Well said. Fortunately for the Sox, Danks will be in the final year of his contract in 2016. If he outperforms expectations this year, Hahn can get a little creative and deal him to open up some cap space for 2016. The good news is, we have Rodon waiting in the wings to take his spot. Dealing Danks would open $15 million in payroll. They can use that $ to help secure Sharks extension AND/OR perhaps they can use that projected savings on a player they can acquire this year? If they look into signing Shields to a 2 year $46 million deal, then the Sox would still be in a position to extend Shark assuming they do in fact deal Danks. It may seem crazy to add another $23 million in payroll this year, but damn... The possibility is exciting.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jan 25, 2015 -> 02:02 PM)
Well said. Fortunately for the Sox, Danks will be in the final year of his contract in 2016. If he outperforms expectations this year, Hahn can get a little creative and deal him to open up some cap space for 2016. The good news is, we have Rodon waiting in the wings to take his spot. Dealing Danks would open $15 million in payroll. They can use that $ to help secure Sharks extension AND/OR perhaps they can use that projected savings on a player they can acquire this year? If they look into signing Shields to a 2 year $46 million deal, then the Sox would still be in a position to extend Shark assuming they do in fact deal Danks. It may seem crazy to add another $23 million in payroll this year, but damn... The possibility is exciting.

Hahn is good at being a GM, but he is no magical wizard who can move players, if there isn't a team willing to trade. there is no market for them, plain and simple. this payroll and players are what the sox will have. yeah the sox will loose a player or 2 thru attrition, but the farm will be ready to start to produce, at least supply the missing pieces. the time to make any additions would be now.

btw, the sox has Rodon pencil in to be with the team this yr. with the hype and the sox free good talking, Jeff S may be the only player i can see the sox signing, and then the sox can claim they added to the payroll and then call it a day.

as you said the possibility is indeed exciting, if the sox would finish with what they started this yr.

this is something to think about, can the sox make it out of the AL with this team, i say yes, but it may be close. can the sox really compete, on paper against the NL with they rotations that some of them are assembling...... no.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 11:31 PM)
here is an updated list of available players..... who could be had. can any help the sox??

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/01/the-...ning-names.html

Axford stands out to me.

Cooper works with getting power guys more control in their pitching, so he could be a Spring invite, if anything.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 02:45 PM)
Axford stands out to me.

Cooper works with getting power guys more control in their pitching, so he could be a Spring invite, if anything.

Axford is intriguing very intriguing, but i really like Brandon Beachy. i mention him in the beginning of this offseason. i like that he can fill both roles as a spot starter and relief. he has good stats and nice pitching profile. another pitcher that i am intrigue with is Ogando, same profile as Beachy.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 04:12 PM)
There are still some interesting names out there for the White Sox: Brandon Beachy, Burke Badenhop, Mike Adams, Alexi Ogando, Joe Beimel, and Everth Cabrera.

i like the idea of Everth Cabrera, if it wasn't for his legal troubles. a buy low, high reward, and hopes he stay out of jail kind of a guy.

Given that we're now bidding adieu to Tank, Michael Morse would have been the perfect final piece. Can platoon with ALaR, spell Jose's ankles, help out in the OF, etc. Adding both versatility and quality to the club for $6M.

Fortunately, he's a Marlin, and will likely be available again by mid-season.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 11:27 AM)
Given that we're now bidding adieu to Tank, Michael Morse would have been the perfect final piece. Can platoon with ALaR, spell Jose's ankles, help out in the OF, etc. Adding both versatility and quality to the club for $6M.

Fortunately, he's a Marlin, and will likely be available again by mid-season.

Really? The Marlins have a pretty good team. I think they'll contend for a Wild Card spot. I wouldn't count on Morse being available.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
Really? The Marlins have a pretty good team. I think they'll contend for a Wild Card spot. I wouldn't count on Morse being available.

I am not a big fan of the Marlins offseason acquisitions, but they may not be terrible.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 12:42 PM)
I am not a big fan of the Marlins offseason acquisitions, but they may not be terrible.

They were 77-85 last year, yes, but they have a nice, young, talented lineup (similar to ours) and some decent pitching pieces. I have them pegged as an 84-88 game winner.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 11:41 AM)

Yeah, I'm counting on history, and thinking they'll miss Eovaldi.

Admittedly, they may be good, but it could go either way. Should have grabbed Morse.

• 2 weeks later...

I just heard on MLB Network that the Sox could possibly be interested in Francisco "K Rod" Rodriguez.

Would you guys be ok with him on a 2 year/$20 million deal? That gives Robertson an elite set-up guy ahead of him, and Petricka/Putnam/Duke would just have the cover the 7th inning.

What do you guys think?

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 07:58 PM)
I just heard on MLB Network that the Sox could possibly be interested in Francisco "K Rod" Rodriguez.

Would you guys be ok with him on a 2 year/$20 million deal? That gives Robertson an elite set-up guy ahead of him, and Petricka/Putnam/Duke would just have the cover the 7th inning.

What do you guys think?

I'll pass. Find me a reclamation/depth starter for a 25-50% of that.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 07:03 PM)
I'll pass. Find me a reclamation/depth starter for a 25-50% of that.

Rodriguez would definitely be a luxury, but I think he'd boost that bullpen a ton.

A few under the radar players that I'd like to see the Sox get are Chris Young (the pitcher), and Brandon Beachy. Both would probably be cheap, but they'd be nice to have just for rotation depth.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 06:58 PM)

What do you guys think?

I would love if the Sox got K-Rod. 7th-8th-9th inning of Duke, K-Rod, and Robertson would be lethal. That moves Jennings , Putnam, and Petricka into lesser roles.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 07:13 PM)
Rodriguez would definitely be a luxury, but I think he'd boost that bullpen a ton.

A few under the radar players that I'd like to see the Sox get are Chris Young (the pitcher), and Brandon Beachy. Both would probably be cheap, but they'd be nice to have just for rotation depth.

I want Brandon Beachy.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 06:58 PM)

What do you guys think?

Nope. He's overrated (4.5 FIP in 2014) and a terrible person (domestic violence and assault). We don't need that.