Food, Food and more Food

LDF

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 05:50 PM)
I haven't tried one, but there are now controllers for charcoal grills that regulate the airflow onto the charcoal and allow you to take something like a Weber and turn it into a pretty constant temperature device. That linked one is just the first one I saw on Google.

Replacing the stock charcoal pan in my bottom-of-the-line brinkman smoker cabinet with a stainless steel grill wok like the one below made a huge difference.

41SWJYBB9SL.jpg

Definitely recommend this dual-probe remote thermometer, too. Never, ever rely on the crappy bi-metal dial thermometers installed on grills or smokers. This one lets you have two probes, typically once for cabinet temperature and one for meat temperature. You can set alarms to go off if the temperature goes too high or low on either probe.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQ1VTPI/?tag=a...amp;camp=211189

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh man, i just ate a extremely hot as in spicy hot beef sandwich.

i made it my self following al's restaurant copycat recipe and the deli's cajun beef. ok, the thing i learn, ref red flakes in not the same as cayenne pepper flakes.

so i will try this again next week. but my friends love it, but they are cajun people love hot spicy food.

• 5 months later...

Any recommendations for what to look for in electric smokers? Not looking for anything fancy just something I can set and forget and have some good bbq.

Thinking of getting this guy

But I know almost nothing about this so figured y'all.

Can't help with what to look for in an electric smoker (I just have a free crappy brinkman cabinet one), but I can recommend www.amazingribs.com for all sorts of great recipes, techniques, tips, and "meat science" information.

Smoked some pork shoulder last weekend, and even though I had to fight to keep the temperature within range the whole day, it turned out delicious.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 24, 2016 -> 05:34 PM)
Any recommendations for what to look for in electric smokers? Not looking for anything fancy just something I can set and forget and have some good bbq.

Thinking of getting this guy

But I know almost nothing about this so figured y'all.

You are pretty spot on, Masterbuilts make good machines. I WILL say you may want to take a run out to Cabella's because they have tremendous sales and you can actually see the smokers. Dont be fooled by the ones with windows, they are worthless

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 25, 2016 -> 08:21 AM)
If you've got a gas grill already and want to give smoking a try without investing in a whole separate appliance, you can easily set up 2-zone heating and use your grill as a smoker.

Thats a good way to start. The benefit of those electric smokers is that you can make sure you dont oversmoke your meat (underrated issue) and it holds the temp electronically so you dont have to keep checking it. There are also bluetooth probes that can alert you when its done. Magic.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 25, 2016 -> 08:28 AM)
Thats a good way to start. The benefit of those electric smokers is that you can make sure you dont oversmoke your meat (underrated issue) and it holds the temp electronically so you dont have to keep checking it. There are also bluetooth probes that can alert you when its done. Magic.

I've got this dual-zone wireless thermometer. I'm not sure what the range is on the bluetooth version they also make, but with this one I can carry the wireless receiver around in my pocket and it'll alert me if the smoker temp goes out of range and when the meat is 10 degrees away from being done. I was using it on Sunday and it was working fine 100+ feet away.

On that note, DON'T TRUST THE GRILL/SMOKER BUILT-IN THERMOMETER! Even if you're buying a top-of-the-line weber grill for $2000, that thermometer isn't going to be accurate enough for long, low cooks.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 25, 2016 -> 08:32 AM)
I've got this dual-zone wireless thermometer. I'm not sure what the range is on the bluetooth version they also make, but with this one I can carry the wireless receiver around in my pocket and it'll alert me if the smoker temp goes out of range and when the meat is 10 degrees away from being done. I was using it on Sunday and it was working fine 100+ feet away.

On that note, DON'T TRUST THE GRILL/SMOKER BUILT-IN THERMOMETER! Even if you're buying a top-of-the-line weber grill for $2000, that thermometer isn't going to be accurate enough for long, low cooks.

Great tip, thats why the probes are a must IMO. My buddy didnt use one last week and completely destroyed almost an entire pork butt.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 25, 2016 -> 08:21 AM)
If you've got a gas grill already and want to give smoking a try without investing in a whole separate appliance, you can easily set up 2-zone heating and use your grill as a smoker.

I've done this a few times. One issue that I didn't really think about until later, my side fire box unit cooks from the top as hot air flows from the firebox across the grill and out the stack. My gas grill had more heat low. I usually cook my brisket meat side up to start. With the grill meat side down seems to be better.

After talking to my brother who has an elec smoker, went with a smokin-it model 2

More expensive but they are built like a tank and I was a bit nervous of the reliability of some of the cheaper ones, lots of heating element issues with some of those brands.

Now I just have to impatiently await it!

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 31, 2016 -> 02:19 PM)
I saw what looks to be a knock off of the Green Egg, called the Komodo. Anyone have one of these?

So I have been looking into these and they seem to have good reviews everywhere. Only $320 for smoker and grill is a great price. There were a lot of reviews on amazon and they gave it 4 1/2 stars and most people gushed over how much they love the thing.

I think I may just buy one.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 2, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)
So I have been looking into these and they seem to have good reviews everywhere. Only $320 for smoker and grill is a great price. There were a lot of reviews on amazon and they gave it 4 1/2 stars and most people gushed over how much they love the thing.

I think I may just buy one.

They looked like the big green egg, just red

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to use the smoker, did ribs on Sunday and they were good but not great. Lots of room for improvement, we also rushed them a bit.

Yesterday I did chicken drumsticks and a pork butt. I put a layer of mustard on them then doused in Killer Hogs rub. The drumsticks were really big, but still only took about 3.5 hours and came out amazing, will be doing that again since it was super super easy.

IMG_1568.jpg

The pork butt was only 5.5 lbs so I was hoping for an 8-10 hr cook time, turned into a 15 hour behemoth. It came out really tasty, but could be a bit more tender. If I got it at a restaurant I'd be fine with it, but it's not the best I've had so need to tinker a bit!

I've got some turkey legs and a whole chicken to do at some point, but I've got some eating to do in the meantime.

• 3 weeks later...

Doing a test brisket (first one and promised my parents I'd make one for them when they're in town next weekend) and a smaller pork shoulder tonight. Having friends over for beer and a BBQ lunch tomorrow to test it all out.

Feeling more confident on the pulled pork this time, knowing a bit more about the stall and other nuances definitely helps. Last time I did a wet brine with salt, water and molasses, this time I'm doing a dry brine (on both brisket and pork). Giving them each a full 24 hours of brine time, then throwing on a mustard base and rub an hour before I put them in the smoker.

Can't wait to see how they turn out!

Finished product, the pulled pork was top5 ever for me. The brisket was really good, but I want to tinker more with it.

IMG_1616.jpg