Food, Food and more Food

LDF

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 03:20 PM)
I still say Pizzeria Uno/Due are the best, though Lou's is quite good. They put one in about 4 blocks from home. I'm amazed I don't weigh 400 pounds yet.

Nuevo Leon has been good the few times I've been there, though they were shut down by the health department fairly recently (since re-opened).

Best tacos I've had by a fair margin are at Paco's Tacos. They're delicious and huge.

Another favorite is Cemitas Puebla. There's one in Humboldt Park and one in the West Loop now. The Atomica Cemita is amazing.

I get the sense you live in the West Loop maybe? Since Cemitas Puebla is on your radar and the Malnati's there only opened about 6 months ago. It's about a half a mile from our place and we have a rule that we only walk there - never drive or order delivery - to prevent said 400-lb benchmark.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 03:28 PM)
I get the sense you live in the West Loop maybe? Since Cemitas Puebla is on your radar and the Malnati's there only opened about 6 months ago. It's about a half a mile from our place and we have a rule that we only walk there - never drive or order delivery - to prevent said 400-lb benchmark.

Oak Park area actually. Always gone to the original Cemitas Puebla in Humboldt Park. Paco's is a frequent stop on the way to White Sox games.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 03:57 PM)
Oak Park area actually. Always gone to the original Cemitas Puebla in Humboldt Park. Paco's is a frequent stop on the way to White Sox games.

I'm now craving a Pete's gyro, if you haven't gone there, then go there tonight. Best gyro in the city.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 03:12 PM)
Aurelios is right there with HRI.

And so is Phil's, Palermo's, Vito and Nicks....and the list can continue on for a while really.

Palermo's is also my tops. I see that you had Phil's (in Chicago ridge)on your list. Yes, they BY FAR do not skimp on toppings. Just an FYI. Little Franks on 79th and Narragnset has a pizza that I always thought was almost identical to Phils. Finally found out why. I heard that they were related, so I asked the people at Little Franks, and they said that the owner of Franks and Phils are brother and sister. So, either way, you'll get pretty much the same pizza. (For those unfamiliar with these places..............when i first tried Franks a number of years ago, I ordered Sausage Green pepper and mushroom. When I picked it up, I thought they gave me the wrong pizza. It had the weight of a deep dish....and by far I am not a deep dish person. I opened it up...and it was the toppings that made that much weight). Definately get your money's worth there.

Lou Malnati's is my favorite of the Chicago pizza places. But I'm biased because Rick Malnati was my teacher in high school. Basically required that Malnati's was your favorite if you went to my high school.

Anyone else love Booby's? In Niles, block North of Oakton on Milwaukee. Best steak sandwich there is.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 02:02 PM)
Probably to late but just go to Eataly.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 02:41 PM)
Russ, he ate like 2 weeks ago. Leave him alone.

Lol, We ate at Italian Village. It was about a block or two from our hotel. It was great!

Also we have only had Lou Malnati's. Wanted to try a couple other pizza places

QUOTE (lord chas @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 06:01 PM)
Finally got to try Shake Shack today

I had no clue it was in Chicago and we happened to spot it while walking back to our hotel when we were in town and I had to stop in and at least get a burger and fries even though it was at 3 in the afternoon and we were planning on going to get deep dish pizza around 7 lol. It was really good

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 01:03 AM)
Lou Malnati's is my favorite of the Chicago pizza places. But I'm biased because Rick Malnati was my teacher in high school. Basically required that Malnati's was your favorite if you went to my high school.

Anyone else love Booby's? In Niles, block North of Oakton on Milwaukee. Best steak sandwich there is.

I'll have to check that out next time I go to our Niles office.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 05:04 PM)
Don Alfredo's has the best carnitas tacos ever. First ave and lake.

How do you actually get them to give you a carnitas taco? It seems like every time I go there, it's "we're out". One time I ordered carnitas and got carne asada. Is it because I'm a gringo? :lol:

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 5, 2015 -> 06:57 PM)
How do you actually get them to give you a carnitas taco? It seems like every time I go there, it's "we're out". One time I ordered carnitas and got carne asada. Is it because I'm a gringo? :lol:

hell yeah, you don't know what when it comes to ordering. :P

but in all seriousness at least yous guys are enjoying good food, i just came back from my friends family outing. my 2 god children were there. so i figure what the hay.

they had, check this out, a pot of communal seafood gumbo. that is traditional gumbo with rice and sausage, with all type of seafood into a big arse pot. in there they threw gator, catfish, shrimp and turtle.

served with a bowl of potato salad.

ugh.... i tried it. i just couldn't eat the darn thing.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 5, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)
hell yeah, you don't know what when it comes to ordering. :P

but in all seriousness at least yous guys are enjoying good food, i just came back from my friends family outing. my 2 god children were there. so i figure what the hay.

they had, check this out, a pot of communal seafood gumbo. that is traditional gumbo with rice and sausage, with all type of seafood into a big arse pot. in there they threw gator, catfish, shrimp and turtle.

served with a bowl of potato salad.

ugh.... i tried it. i just couldn't eat the darn thing.

You live in LA? That slut stew sounds delicious!!

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Apr 5, 2015 -> 07:37 PM)
You live in LA? That slut stew sounds delicious!!

you like that.... well good for you. i can't stomach it. the burnt roux mixed with burnt cajun spices.... it if not for me.

but i am sure, these cajuns will have a hard time eating some real traditional mexican food.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 5, 2015 -> 01:57 PM)

At that one (which happens to be in a gas station) Ive never had the issue. Carnitas mixed, add cheese, give me a ton of the hot sauce on the side.

The other two locations are more like stores so I never go there. They are pretty confusing.

On the Pete's thing, if you guys go there, make sure you order the half chicken-Greek with rice. Will change your life.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 6, 2015 -> 11:29 AM)
At that one (which happens to be in a gas station) Ive never had the issue. Carnitas mixed, add cheese, give me a ton of the hot sauce on the side.

The other two locations are more like stores so I never go there. They are pretty confusing.

On the Pete's thing, if you guys go there, make sure you order the half chicken-Greek with rice. Will change your life.

Okay, I normally go to the stand-alone storefront that actually has chairs. I keep threatening to get one of the guisados, but never do.