Food, Food and more Food

LDF

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 12:10 PM)
Has anyone ever had Ted's Montana Grill? My wife wants to go there tomorrow but it looks like it might be another one of those generic chain steak houses.

There's one right near my house in Bolingbrook that we've gone to occasionally. It's not a Morton's or a Sullivan's but I think it's definitely a step above a Longhorn etc.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 12:25 PM)
There's one right near my house in Bolingbrook that we've gone to occasionally. It's not a Morton's or a Sullivan's but I think it's definitely a step above a Longhorn etc.

Okay thats the one we are going to. We have been winding up in Bolingbrook a lot lately.

QUOTE (SnB @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 08:57 AM)
Anyone had Naf Naf grill? We have one across the street from my office in rosemont. Those pitas are heaven.

That place is great, although the Rosemont one is like an express location. The one time I went it didn't have the full menu, I usually go to the one down Touhy in Niles/Skokie.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 12:25 PM)

Been there myself once. Nice place. Personally, thought it was a bit pricey but then again it's not somewhere you go every weekend. I can go for BD'S Mongolian grill every weekend though. Mmmmm

Edited by juddling

• 5 months later...
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
That place is great, although the Rosemont one is like an express location. The one time I went it didn't have the full menu, I usually go to the one down Touhy in Niles/Skokie.

Ive been a patron of theirs since the original location on ogden in naperville. The quality has been watered down with all the new locations but its still awesome.

Check out Pinched by Yorktown sometime. Its pretty great. Also Shwarma Inn near Ohare is awesome as well.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 04:36 PM)
i just came back home from work and had some wonderful home made country style home made bread......

it is heavenly. home made bread with butter and jelly.

Nothing beats home cookin' and especially if it's southern or country style.Yum!

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 07:14 AM)
Had some blood sausage and head cheese tonight.

Pretty good.

blood sausage is great..... forget about the head cheese. that is an acquired taste.

i had in addition to the home made bread, asian beef stew. first time and it is great. the spices were different in unique. i just ate the vegetables and stew. i ate to freaking much..... i can't sleep. but it was tasty.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)

Yeah, the area is mostly offices so they're only busy during weekday lunches. Makes sense for them.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 10:43 AM)
Anyone have a smoker? I am looking to get into the electric smoker market and I wanted to see if anyone had thoughts

My brother got one a bit ago, I'll try and find the link on amazon, he loves it. Around $400 from what I remember.

He smoked a turkey in it and I tried some, absolutely amazing stuff.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 10:43 AM)
Anyone have a smoker? I am looking to get into the electric smoker market and I wanted to see if anyone had thoughts

Yep. I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZTMTCG. I've championed it on here in some other thread. Get an electric one. It's awesome being able to set it and forget it. I smoked for years with a Weber charcoal grill and it was an annoying process to have to check the temp, mess with the vents, and then add charcoal every 3-4 hours.

You can go cheaper and just get the standard model for like $180, or you can go up wards of $400 and get one that has a window, an internal light and a remote control to keep track and control the temp of the unit, as well as the temp of the meat. The window isn't really that helpful. It's tough to see when there's smoke, condensation and/or grime buildup. The light is awesome though, as is the remote control. It also doesn't waste a ton of chips. I use maybe 2-3 handfuls for an entire 12-13 hour smoke if i'm doing a pork butt. On my Weber I was using half a bag it seemed like.

I've smoked just about everything in it: pork butt, ribs, chicken, brisket, salmon, mac and cheese, etc. etc. All comes out great.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (lord chas @ Apr 11, 2015 -> 08:24 AM)
Plus the 30 minute wait in line. Good but little overhyped to me

Really delayed but if you want a very comparable burger for much cheaper and no line, Fatso's Last Stand on Chicago Ave.

Funny enough, I just did a search of both comparing each other and alas, found an article that suggests going to Fatso's instead.

http://www.thepizzle.net/so-hows-shake-shack/

Edited by Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)
Yep. I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZTMTCG. I've championed it on here in some other thread. Get an electric one. It's awesome being able to set it and forget it. I smoked for years with a Weber charcoal grill and it was an annoying process to have to check the temp, mess with the vents, and then add charcoal every 3-4 hours.

You can go cheaper and just get the standard model for like $180, or you can go up wards of $400 and get one that has a window, an internal light and a remote control to keep track and control the temp of the unit, as well as the temp of the meat. The window isn't really that helpful. It's tough to see when there's smoke, condensation and/or grime buildup. The light is awesome though, as is the remote control. It also doesn't waste a ton of chips. I use maybe 2-3 handfuls for an entire 12-13 hour smoke if i'm doing a pork butt. On my Weber I was using half a bag it seemed like.

I've smoked just about everything in it: pork butt, ribs, chicken, brisket, salmon, mac and cheese, etc. etc. All comes out great.

How does it hold up in Chicago weather? I've got a big patio but not really a ton of storage space for something like this. Would it handle winters under a covering? Or do you think it needs to be stored indoors.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 02:44 PM)
How does it hold up in Chicago weather? I've got a big patio but not really a ton of storage space for something like this. Would it handle winters under a covering? Or do you think it needs to be stored indoors.

I always bring mine into the garage in the winter, and when I smoke I just wheel it out to the driveway (they sell a stand/wheel kit for it). The cover is pretty flimsy, but I'm sure you could find better ones online. My guess is it would hold up. I mean it's not any different from a grill and I leave mine out, covered, every winter.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 03:14 PM)
i want a big green egg really badly but i dont have the cash to drop on one of those bad boys

I have been wanting one for a while. I was thinking the prices will be cheaper in the winter, no?

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
I have been wanting one for a while. I was thinking the prices will be cheaper in the winter, no?

Dont think so man, that is a large cast iron smoker. They are like 300 lbs of metal lol