2015-16 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really think that solves anything. It was a s***ty call, bottom line. Finding technicalities within the way the rules are written doesn't change that. That just shows the rules are written poorly.

Yeah, this is it. The rule is very poorly written. Over the years, rules have been changed to make them more black and white and less about judgment, and I suspect this one may be next.

Unless it happens within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, the defensive player forcing the receiver out of bounds is always some sort of penalty (PI, holding or illegal contact). Just change the rule to read that a player who went out of bounds is never eligible to be the first one to touch a pass and put the responsibility on the official to throw the flag rather than make a judgment about being forced out.

It was a marginal call by the ref to call that a forceout when the contact was very weak, but not a terrible call. You can probably question how long the receiver took to get back in bounds, but that still is marginal at worst. Once that call is made, the only thing that's reviewable is whether or not there was contact, which there was.

And all this is coming from someone whose favorite BIG team is MSU, so I'm not being biased. It would only be about the 20th worst call of the year in the ACC.

If Oklahoma wins out, as in beats Baylor, TCU and Oklahoma State (and then the Big 12 title game), they have to be in the top 4, right?

Oklahoma has the best chance of any Big 12 team to make the playoff with 1 loss since they have the best nonconference win. Tennessee isn't great, but they look like an NFL team compared to what the other teams play out of conference.

ND and Stanford play each other, so there's no way that both of them can end with only 1 loss. LSU could end up with 1 loss, though their chances of making it in with 1 loss would have been better if their loss had at least been close.

Will be very interesting to see the committee rankings this week. Clearly Clemson, Bama and OSU are 1-3 in some order, but that 4th spot is wide open. ND was 5th and won, but Baylor and OK St are both still undefeated. Any of those 3 teams could be #4.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 07:18 AM)
If Navy wins the American, the bowl selections have to get pushed back a week to wait on the Army-Navy result.

I saw a quote from the committee chair, if Navy can finish in the top 4 then all the of the bowl selections will be delayed a week. But if only a New Year's Day bowl bid is on the line, then they will announce all of the games except for one, then announce that after the Army/Navygame.

I saw a quote from the committee chair, if Navy can finish in the top 4 then all the of the bowl selections will be delayed a week. But if only a New Year's Day bowl bid is on the line, then they will announce all of the games except for one, then announce that after the Army/Navygame.

OK, that's different from what ESPN was saying Sunday morning. They were saying that ALL bowl selections were going to be delayed a week. Navy certainly isn't finishing in the Top 4, so yeah, it makes sense to go ahead and get at least the playoff teams announced.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 08:05 AM)
OK, that's different from what ESPN was saying Sunday morning. They were saying that ALL bowl selections were going to be delayed a week. Navy certainly isn't finishing in the Top 4, so yeah, it makes sense to go ahead and get at least the playoff teams announced.

I think ESPN confused everybody, so they clarified it later in the day.

https://twitter.com/CFBHeather/status/663487180036141056

CFP executive director Bill Hancock clarified Navy NY6 bowl dilemma with Army-Navy game: "If Navy is the AAC champion and in the mix for the Group of 5 berth to the NY6, and the outcome of the Army/Navy game could impact Navy’s selection as the Group of 5 representative or its place in the playoff, the pairings would be delayed only to the extent necessary. That means the committee would most likely fill all the bowl slots except one on December 6 and then determine the Group of 5 team after Army/Navy on Dec 12. If Navy is in the mix for the top four, then the committee would probably delay all of its bowl assignments until December 12."

OK, so some idiots shout racial slurs at a black guy, who tweets about it, and then there are protests because the University Chancellor took six days to condemn it and his actions weren't strong enough? I also notice they were comparing this to the situation at Oklahoma, where stronger action was taken, but at Oklahoma these were identifiable students who were part of an identifiable group. In this case, it was "white guys in a pick up truck" who shouted the racial slurs. Was the Chancellor supposed to kick every white guy with a pickup truck out of school?

There is either a lot more to this story or this was a massive overreaction. While I understand the incredible frustration at the bigotry that was displayed, I don't see what more the Chancellor could have done.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

I can now feel for ND fans that feel coaching lost them their game at Clemson. Jimbo Fisher lost that game for FSU this weekend. Between the asinine decision to start Sean Maguirre over Everett Golson and calling pitch plays with Dalvin Cook on 3rd and 4th and inches, he really hamstrung his team. Clemson is the better team, but with how the FSU defense played, I truly believe they win if Golson was at QB on Saturday.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 09:04 AM)
OK, so some idiots shout racial slurs at a black guy, who tweets about it, and then there are protests because the University Chancellor took six days to condemn it and his actions weren't strong enough? I also notice they were comparing this to the situation at Oklahoma, where stronger action was taken, but at Oklahoma these were identifiable students who were part of an identifiable group. In this case, it was "white guys in a pick up truck" who shouted the racial slurs. Was the Chancellor supposed to kick every white guy with a pickup truck out of school?

There is either a lot more to this story or this was a massive overreaction. While I understand the incredible frustration at the bigotry that was displayed, I don't see what more the Chancellor could have done.

Agree 100%. Wolfe has actually resigned now. Not really much he could have done about this. Good luck to the next president I guess, I don't envy whoever it is.

I'm not sure how to gauge the majority of the missouri fan base. I think any time you try and jump into a complicated situation that has been developing for months after the fact by reading a single news article and then start claiming the football team is the real racists and that all of this stuff is no big deal is ignorant.

I think the latching on of colege students to the idea that getting the authority figures to create some sort of deus ex machina rule that solves "community" issues is immature and naive.

On the other hand, this isn't the Yale stuff. This has been going on for months. Saying "oh its not about that" is a weird thing to say when you didn't even know about it until saturday.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 10:39 AM)
Sounds like some idiot didn't like his health benefits getting cut and tried staging a walkout. No one cared at all so he had to find another way for attention and claimed racism to do it.

As someone who has been here the entire time, not even close.

There has been a steady stream of racism since Ferguson. There have been notable events. Grads had health benefits and tuition waivers cut. Planned Parenthood's university sponsorship was removed due to political pressure.

Protests were had, rallies were had, letters and petitions sent. Wolfe didn't respond ever. That was the problem.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 10:06 AM)
I wonder how many of the Iowa fans who gave up their season tickets and vowed never to return until Ferentz was fired have changed their minds.

I hope this ride keeps on going. Been a very enjoyable season. I know we aren't as good as other teams (even some 1 loss teams), but still be a lot of fun and I hope it continues. Of course I was never anti ferentz.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 12:27 PM)

There has been a steady stream of racism since Ferguson. There have been notable events. Grads had health benefits and tuition waivers cut. Planned Parenthood's university sponsorship was removed due to political pressure.

Protests were had, rallies were had, letters and petitions sent. Wolfe didn't respond ever. That was the problem.

I don't know enough about Missouri to know whether or not this guy deserved to lose his job, but those two bold statements don't add up IMO.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 01:27 PM)

I feel like you just agreed with me? They didn't get the necessary attention until a racism element was brought into it.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 12:39 PM)
I don't know enough about Missouri to know whether or not this guy deserved to lose his job, but those two bold statements don't add up IMO.

In Jonathan's letter, he touched on more than racism.

Racism was the main driving point, but just some other things that have happened recently.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)
I feel like you just agreed with me? They didn't get the necessary attention until a racism element was brought into it.

Racism has been the part going on the past two years. It wasn't just health benefits, it wasn't just PP, it was all of it. But mostly racism.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)
I'm not sure how to gauge the majority of the missouri fan base. I think any time you try and jump into a complicated situation that has been developing for months after the fact by reading a single news article and then start claiming the football team is the real racists and that all of this stuff is no big deal is ignorant.

I think the latching on of colege students to the idea that getting the authority figures to create some sort of deus ex machina rule that solves "community" issues is immature and naive.

On the other hand, this isn't the Yale stuff. This has been going on for months. Saying "oh its not about that" is a weird thing to say when you didn't even know about it until saturday.

Your fanbase seems vehemently against the strike from about every source I've scoured online. Obviously not a great gauge, that's why I was politely asking you for your opinion.

I'm not basing anything off reading "one article" online. I've talked to both alum and students alike about it. People who think there's a problem and those who don't. What seems to be universal is the questioning of the motivations and merthods of Johnathan Butler.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)
Your fanbase seems vehemently against the strike from about every source I've scoured online. Obviously not a great gauge, that's why I was politely asking you for your opinion.

I'm not basing anything off reading "one article" online. I've talked to both alum and students alike about it. People who think there's a problem and those who don't. What seems to be universal is the questioning of the motivations and merthods of Johnathan Butler.

I might be biased as a friend and former co-worker, but his motivations are pure.

I read rockmnation daily and follow all of the sportswriters covering mizzou at the columbia daily tribune and occasionally the Missourian. None of those were vehemently against the strike. They were thoughtful if not always committal in their opinion.

The only place I've seen strong opinions are on twitter replies, and this whole element that believes that college athletes are ungrateful in general that just seems to pop up in these situations.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 12:55 PM)
I might be biased as a friend and former co-worker, but his motivations are pure.

Butler is the main thing that started this, but I think it's developed into many things more than that. It's a hard situation to judge because I think the messaging has been poor. The student group right now is getting awfully aggressive. They're currently blocking out media from a gathering, and from what I'm told by a reporter friend of mine there, they are upset that the media wasn't covering it until the football team got involved. Asking to be heard and then complaining how you got the attention is very strange. I think it's key to separate Butler from the rest of the issues that have spawned from it. He's just one man, some people in support of him haven't behaved that well.

I think Pinkel nailed the press conference they just had. He's all about supporting his players while trying to keep it as simple as that. His players felt the need to do something, and he supported it.

My own opinions on the whole thing are far harsher than what I wrote above, but I don't think that is productive. The bickering and yelling led to poor communication, which is what Wolfe said in his resignation. That's the biggest problem.