2015-16 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 29, 2015 -> 12:09 PM)
For years, I've been scared of the day they fire Richt. A true sleeping giant. I'm hoping they screw this up and hire Kirby Smart or bring back Muschamp. As long as it's not Chip Kelly, I'll probably be able to live with it.

Tom Herman will be a target and that's scary in its own right. He will keep a lot of that talent home.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 29, 2015 -> 12:18 PM)
Tom Herman will be a target and that's scary in its own right. He will keep a lot of that talent home.

That would definitely be scary.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 29, 2015 -> 12:18 PM)
Look for UGa to hire Smart and possibly bring Muschamp with him

This would be completely fine by me.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 29, 2015 -> 02:34 PM)
"Obviousy, it’s not ideal, but for now, I don’t think it will put a dagger in the heart of the program"

That's a real quote on Illinois' AD hiring Cubit. I wish I was making that up.

For as little as they seem to care or understand about the reality of college athletics, it's truly amazing they even bother to field a team.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Nov 29, 2015 -> 03:00 PM)
For as little as they seem to care or understand about the reality of college athletics, it's truly amazing they even bother to field a team.

Since they don't have a permanent AD, this move makes some sense. By the time the new AD is in place, they would be in the back of the line for hiring a coach. Let the new guy pick his own guy, and if they have to pay Cubit for the final year, it really isn't a big deal. They aren't paying Beckmann, and are saving money with Cubit.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 29, 2015 -> 04:21 PM)
It doesn't make any sense, except for punting recruiting for the second year in a row by refusing to get rid of an interim coach and making the next coach's job impossible.

Where they messed up was not firing the AD with Beckman. Then they could have hired a new one by now and he or she could have hired a new coach. How was their recruiting this year? They probably saved that since there would be no coach in place for a while now. Or they hire a guy their new AD may not know , or they hire the guy the other 20 teams looking for coaches left over.

You also might have a ton of transfers if no one knew who would be coaching them for a while.

In the short term, it doesn't help them, and it really won't kill them, and it probably saves them from totally bottoming out, and next year, the new AD will be in a position to hire their guy.

Frankly, I don't like Cubit, and find it hard to believe he was the #2 guy in the program and he supposedly had no idea what Beckman was doing. If he didn't, that shows something is lacking as well, but the players seem to like him. At the very worst, Illinois is punting, and delaying their rebuild a year or so. But then everything should be lined up a bit better. It isn't like some MAC coach 15 teams passed on is going to get a Harbaugh like turnaround out of them next year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2015 -> 04:44 PM)
Where they messed up was not firing the AD with Beckman. Then they could have hired a new one by now and he or she could have hired a new coach. How was their recruiting this year? They probably saved that since there would be no coach in place for a while now. Or they hire a guy their new AD may not know , or they hire the guy the other 20 teams looking for coaches left over.

You also might have a ton of transfers if no one knew who would be coaching them for a while.

In the short term, it doesn't help them, and it really won't kill them, and it probably saves them from totally bottoming out, and next year, the new AD will be in a position to hire their guy.

Frankly, I don't like Cubit, and find it hard to believe he was the #2 guy in the program and he supposedly had no idea what Beckman was doing. If he didn't, that shows something is lacking as well, but the players seem to like him. At the very worst, Illinois is punting, and delaying their rebuild a year or so. But then everything should be lined up a bit better. It isn't like some MAC coach 15 teams passed on is going to get a Harbaugh like turnaround out of them next year.

The bolded is what I mean by not understanding college athletics. They put themselves in this position by allowing Beckman to do what he did, firing him one year too late, and then not realizing they needed to get rid of the AD when the rest of the world thought it was obvious.

Their recruiting is about 12th in the B1G with the lowest average player rating. It will be about the same next year. When you add in the fact that Cubit is a bad football coach and almost certainly knew what was going on with Beckman, there is literally nothing to like about this situation.

For all the madness, the final four teams might be easy to figure out.

Oklahoma is probably in

MSU/Iowa winner is in for sure

Clemson and Alabama are in if they win

But if Florida or UNC pull the upset, I have no idea who they would pick. Well Florida has no chance, but I could see the Tar Heels winning

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 29, 2015 -> 02:34 PM)
"Obviousy, it’s not ideal, but for now, I don’t think it will put a dagger in the heart of the program"

That's a real quote on Illinois' AD hiring Cubit. I wish I was making that up.

A lot of stories took the quote out of context, but a few didn't. That quote was referring to the length of the contract. So it actually was "[The two-year contract] obviously, it's not ideal, but for now, I don't think it will put a dagger in the heart of the program." The last part of the quote is still weird, but usually coaches don't sign two-year contracts when their contract is up. It's not ideal to recruit players for the next 4-5 years when the coach is signed on for 2 and his future is clearly up in the air.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 06:59 AM)
The Cubit contract is 100% ideal for Illinois. This is an awful time to need to hire a coach. Now they can re-evaluate.

Heck, with only 76 bowl eligible teams, the Illini might play in December (which would be awful)

Their own AD doesn't think it's ideal. It's awful. This is a lot better time to hire a coach than next year.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 29, 2015 -> 10:52 AM)
Playoff/bowl projections:

Orange: Clemson vs Michigan State

Cotton: Alabama vs Oklahoma

Rose: Ohio State vs Stanford

Sugar: Baylor vs Mississippi

Fiesta: Iowa vs Notre Dame

Peach: Florida State vs Houston

Really hope ND and Houston flip those games. Peach would become one of the more highly rated non-playoff games. Otherwise, the Fiesta will be boring and no one outside of the FSU fan base will watch the Peach.

For all the madness, the final four teams might be easy to figure out.

Oklahoma is probably in

MSU/Iowa winner is in for sure

Clemson and Alabama are in if they win

But if Florida or UNC pull the upset, I have no idea who they would pick. Well Florida has no chance, but I could see the Tar Heels winning

Oklahoma is 100% in. Probably in even if ND won but the ND loss sealed it. PAC-12 champ has at least 2 losses and no 1-loss non-champion is getting in over Oklahoma.

Iowa-MSU winner is 100% in.

Alabama is in if they win. If they lose Ohio State is in.

Most interesting case is if Clemson loses. Ohio State might be able to make a case over North Carolina, even without the conference championship.

Really hope ND and Houston flip those games. Peach would become one of the more highly rated non-playoff games. Otherwise, the Fiesta will be boring and no one outside of the FSU fan base will watch the Peach.

If the favorites win all the championship games, this is what I think the final rankings are:

1 Clemson

2 Alabama

3 Oklahoma

4 Michigan State

5 Ohio State

6 Stanford

7 Iowa

8 Baylor

9 Notre Dame

10 Florida State

After you put the top 4 in the playoff, the Rose automatically gets Stanford as PAC 12 champs. Rose is also obligated to take highest ranked BIG team to replace MSU and that's OSU. Sugar is obligated to take highest ranked Big 12 and SEC teams to replace their champions, which would be Baylor and (probably) Mississippi. Fiesta then gets two highest ranked teams left, which is Iowa and ND. Peach now gets the highest ranked team left, which is FSU, and the AAC winner which is Houston or Temple.

The Fiesta is a Jan 1 bowl and automatically gets the higher ranked teams unless it creates a rematch of a regular season game from this year or a bowl game from last year.

Now, I'm just guessing at these rankings and ND might fall below FSU which would swap their bowls, but they still wouldn't be playing each other.

Geez. I didn't realize there were so many tie-ins now. I thought there were still some at large selections that the bowls could make.

Yeah, in any year the Rose and Sugar aren't playoff games, they are still obligated to take teams from their conferences, even if their champions make the playoff. Probably gets a 3-loss Mississippi team into the Sugar Bowl while a bunch of teams ranked ahead of them miss out. If Houston wins the AAC, even they will be ranked higher than Mississippi.

Alabama is a good team, but the rest of the conference was very weak this year. Lots of teams could have gone 11-1 with Alabama's schedule.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 09:11 AM)
Oklahoma is 100% in. Probably in even if ND won but the ND loss sealed it. PAC-12 champ has at least 2 losses and no 1-loss non-champion is getting in over Oklahoma.

Iowa-MSU winner is 100% in.

Alabama is in if they win. If they lose Ohio State is in.

Most interesting case is if Clemson loses. Ohio State might be able to make a case over North Carolina, even without the conference championship.

The committee has shown little respect for Carolina, so I agree they might not even jump Ohio State. I think a two loss Pac 12 champion Stanford has a chance to pass OSU, if one of the top two stumble this weekend.