2015-16 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 06:12 PM)
Top preference would've been a Mullen but cant complain about Richt.

Kind of funny reading all these experts the last few weeks saying how bad Miami's job situation is. In the end, Miami could've gotten any coach they preferred. Mullen was there for the taking and at worst they end up with either Schiano or Butch Davis.

I think Schiano is a good coach, but I'm not sure he really fits what Miami is trying to do.

Not that this thought matters at all...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 12:06 PM)
Yep, with two of those losses being to Bama and Oklahoma and another being a 1 point loss to Florida before the Will Grier suspension. Having them ranked 25 isn't crazy.

Thank you.

We're two epic 4th quarter collapses (Oklahoma and Florida) away from playing in the SEC title game and a shot at the playoff. We lost to Bama by 5 and our kicker missed 3 field goals that game. At no point were we outmatched. They just made plays at the end to win.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 08:07 PM)
Thank you.

We're two epic 4th quarter collapses (Oklahoma and Florida) away from playing in the SEC title game and a shot at the playoff. We lost to Bama by 5 and our kicker missed 3 field goals that game. At no point were we outmatched. They just made plays at the end to win.

Tennessee came back from 21 down against Georgia and was tied going into the fourth quarter and only won by 3 in Tennessee against an awful South Carolina team. The Vols broke even this year. Can't whine about the close losses and forget the close wins. You don't win or lose all those games, as happened with Tennessee this season.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 12:55 PM)
Tennessee came back from 21 down against Georgia and was tied going into the fourth quarter and only won by 3 in Tennessee against an awful South Carolina team. The Vols broke even this year. Can't whine about the close losses and forget the close wins. You don't win or lose all those games, as happened with Tennessee this season.

And we're still a Top 25 team.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 09:31 PM)
Barry Odom is new Missouri head coach. I hope he keeps coach Kuligowski as DC and fires josh henson

I think that's a solid hire. And if he can keep Kuligowski on staff, that's big. It's amazing what that guy has done during his tenure. Best DL coach in college football.

I think Rhodes would have preferred Odom with 1-2 more years as a DC or head coach at a smaller program, but its clear this staff saw him as a future HC and went with him. That D had a lot of talent, but they also were top 15 with one of the worst offenses in division 1 in terms of holding TOP and field position.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 10:02 PM)
I think Rhodes would have preferred Odom with 1-2 more years as a DC or head coach at a smaller program, but its clear this staff saw him as a future HC and went with him. That D had a lot of talent, but they also were top 15 with one of the worst offenses in division 1 in terms of holding TOP and field position.

Yeah, there will probably be some learning on the job, but Odom keeps it in house, which I think was the most important thing with the hire.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 09:22 PM)
I think that's a solid hire. And if he can keep Kuligowski on staff, that's big. It's amazing what that guy has done during his tenure. Best DL coach in college football.

What makes it a solid hire? He doesn't have a resume for a SEC head coach. I don't see that ending very well

You can say that for any coach. He was one of the top coordinator hires lsat year and when he joined there was immediate talk of him being Pinkel's replacement. They probably did not realize that would happen so soon. It's hard to let someone go you think is going to be a great head coach just because you would prefer they work 2 more years. There's no guarantee he'd come back from memphis.

On the Illinois AD search:

Shannon Ryan ‏@sryantribune 28m28 minutes ago

Head of #Illini AD search committee: Matt Wheeler, animal science professor and faculty athletic representative.

Shannon Ryan ‏@sryantribune 26m26 minutes ago

Also on #Illini AD committee is Mike Bass, ex-kicker from '82 football team. No one from men's basketball or currently with football on it.

Shannon Ryan ‏@sryantribune 1h1 hour ago

On the #Illini search committee is long-time soccer coach Janet Rayfield. She was named as defendant in law suit filed this year by player.

Lol. I have to admit it's fun to watch them fail.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 10:55 AM)
On the Illinois AD search:

Lol. I have to admit it's fun to watch them fail.

I was about to bring that in here, it's comical how bad Illinois administrators are.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 06:47 PM)
Bronco leaving BYU for UVA. That is pretty surprising. Good hire for the Cavs. I wonder how many schools that had openings even contacted Bronco for their openings. I figured he was a lifer at BYU.

Bronco Mendenhall can have sex again now.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 10:06 PM)
Connor Cook's accuracy has been awful tonight.

I was talking about this with a friend before the game. If he plays to his capability MSU wins. Playing like this, missing wide open receivers means an Iowa win.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 10:45 PM)
I hate MSU but what a legendary drive.

Ever since Cook got hurt, they have had quite the transformation into smash mouth football. It ain't pretty, but it works.

So any chance Stanford passes Oklahoma after what the committee did last year?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 11:55 PM)
Ever since Cook got hurt, they have had quite the transformation into smash mouth football. It ain't pretty, but it works.

So any chance Stanford passes Oklahoma after what the committee did last year?

I don't think so. The difference was last year OSU was a 1 loss team just like TCU/Baylor and the Big 12 had two teams tie for their championship. It would be pretty absurd to put a 2 loss Pac 10 team in when the Pac 10 was pretty much garbage all year this year.