2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 07:17 PM)
Yeah so take a QB who will have no RG or LT. His #1 will be an unproven rookie WR. His starting RB will be Jeremy Langford. His team won't have any inside LB's, CB's, rush LB's aside from McPhee, or a starting FS. It'll be great. The team will look a lot different than this year's

Because when you draft a great QB you only get them for 1 year. I understand.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'd be wise for the Bears to sell the farm. Young wants out? Great. I'd deal any and everybody, especially Martellus, Forte and Alshon. Wasn't a huge fan of Kevin White or trading Brandon Marshall in the first place from a football perspective, but I'd trade White if he had some value. Everyone must go.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 09:12 PM)
You are nuts if you think they are trading White, especially considering that is one of his guys/draft picks.

I really didn't like the pick for the Bears when it was made. I thought it was pointless to trade Marshall, especially if you were going to draft White. And I also thought Cooper was much better and was the only WR in the draft who made sense for the Bears if they were going to do that.

You thought it was pointless to trade Marshall ESPECIALLY if they were going to draft White?

Bears traded Marshall because they clearly wanted football players who were going to focus on getting the new system in place and not themselves. They did not trade him for 2015. They did not draft White for 2015. They drafted White because they thought he was a dynamic talent, and that he got hurt in the preseasona nd isn't immediately helping the team doesn't mean he is a bad pick any more than it makes Fowler a bad pick.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 08:02 PM)
I'm just guessing here, but I believe it's because we kicked the Field Goal on a non-4th down play. If the kick had been blocked without passing the line of scrimmage, we'd get the ball back and potentially have time to kick another FG. 7 seconds could have run off during the kick and subsequent fight to recover the ball. But if we recovered with say 1 second left, it would be Bears ball still. And we could attempt another FG.

Right, but if the kick were blocked and we recovered, there's a strong chance that we would lose 5-10 yards on the play, thus making it a 59-64 yard field goal. Which is why I still don't get why Fox didn't wait longer.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 09:34 PM)
It'd be wise for the Bears to sell the farm. Young wants out? Great. I'd deal any and everybody, especially Martellus, Forte and Alshon. Wasn't a huge fan of Kevin White or trading Brandon Marshall in the first place from a football perspective, but I'd trade White if he had some value. Everyone must go.

They're rebuilding but you don't trade Alshon or White. They're at least building blocks to the offense.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 10:37 PM)
Could the Art Briles Baylor 5 wide offense work in the NFL? I always figured the pro rosters were too talented top to bottom, so it was much harder to find a weakness. Teams have adopted the spread, but nowhere near that agressively.

No way. That offense is so easy that NFL teams would pick it apart. You really don't see many NFL players come from Baylor on offense because they can't read a defense or run routes properly.

Someone asked draft scout Matt Miller last night if Bryce Petty is 1 to 2 years away to maybe play. Matt Miller said he's that far away from reading an NFL defense. Not all players are like that, but Baylor's system is so easy that you really don't need to think at all.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 08:19 AM)
No way. That offense is so easy that NFL teams would pick it apart. You really don't see many NFL players come from Baylor on offense because they can't read a defense or run routes properly.

Someone asked draft scout Matt Miller last night if Bryce Petty is 1 to 2 years away to maybe play. Matt Miller said he's that far away from reading an NFL defense. Not all players are like that, but Baylor's system is so easy that you really don't need to think at all.

Spot on analysis of Baylor. They take 3 star recruits and win big games. At the end of the day, though, the blue chips are going to continually move towards programs with pro style offenses.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 08:08 AM)
Right, but if the kick were blocked and we recovered, there's a strong chance that we would lose 5-10 yards on the play, thus making it a 59-64 yard field goal. Which is why I still don't get why Fox didn't wait longer.

Once you attempt a FG even if it wasn't 4th down, if it's missed or blocked, you don't retain possession anyway. It made no sense. They were out of TO's so if it were a bad snap or something they were SOL anyway. I realize running one back afterward is a longshot, but why even give them a chance?

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 08:42 AM)
It's amazing to see how bad Colin Kaepernick has become. I don't think he will be starting in a week or so.

Do you think it has more to do with the downgrade in talent around him, or are defenses starting to catch up to these types of QBs?

IIRC, he made his first start vs. the Bears, and the Bears had no chance against him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 08:45 AM)
Do you think it has more to do with the downgrade in talent around him, or are defenses starting to catch up to these types of QBs?

IIRC, he made his first start vs. the Bears, and the Bears had no chance against him.

I just don't know that he was ever that good. The talent around him isn't helping and that coaching staff is a joke, but he's still not that good.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 09:42 AM)
It's amazing to see how bad Colin Kaepernick has become. I don't think he will be starting in a week or so.

I don't quite understand it. I always thought he was overrated but I thought he was at least an average QB. This is very strange to see. His backup is Blaine Gabbert so I'm not sure how short of a leash he has. It's not like they have someone waiting in the wings and they don't have any playoff aspirations this season

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 08:45 AM)

The talent downgrade happened in the offseason, last year his offense was pretty intact from the super bowl team and he looked just like this. The NFL figured him out, they force him to do things that make him uncomfortable, and he makes mistakes. He has zero touch on his passes and it hurts him badly

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 09:06 AM)
The talent downgrade happened in the offseason, last year his offense was pretty intact from the super bowl team and he looked just like this. The NFL figured him out, they force him to do things that make him uncomfortable, and he makes mistakes. He has zero touch on his passes and it hurts him badly

If he had a little more touch on his passes, they win the Super Bowl vs. Baltimore. That last pass in the end zone was all on him.

I always thought he was overrated as a passer. He can still fly out of the pocket and pick up big gains, but I think teams have figured that out for the most part.

His throwing now is downright awful. He threw about 4 or 5 balls right in the ground yesterday on about 6 yard passes. He also threw a couple out of bounds that missed the WR by about 10-15 yards.

He tends to look down a WR and if that WR is covered or not he is throwing it.

I think Jim Harbaugh got the best out of him. It also didn't hurt that the OL they used to have was probably the best in the NFL.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 06:45 AM)

Against Jason Cambell and he killed us. Was in Europe for work and woke up for that beatdown. It was awful. I think I was in Austria for that beating.