2015-2016 NFL Thread

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the kick is blocked they aren't going to get another attempt. He called his final timeout with 7 seconds left. So 7 seconds on the snap, even if your scenario is correct, which it isn't, with no timeouts left, how in the world would they have time to attempt another FG? It was dumb. A very slim chance they score on the kickoff, but they should not have had the chance, and calling TO with 7 seconds left guaranteed that. Make sure after the kick you can walk off the field.

Not worried so much about a blocked kick as a botched snap. If there is a botched snap, the extra few seconds gives the holder enough time to get the ball, get up, and then throw an incomplete pass near the feet of one of the ends. Then you get to try again.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 08:17 AM)
Not worried so much about a blocked kick as a botched snap. If there is a botched snap, the extra few seconds gives the holder enough time to get the ball, get up, and then throw an incomplete pass near the feet of one of the ends. Then you get to try again.

Botched snap is another animal, but a lot of things would have to go right after the botched snap to have time to kick again, especially with a new holder. If he was really worried about that, he should have left more than 7 on the clock.

Botched snap is another animal, but a lot of things would have to go right after the botched snap to have time to kick again, especially with a new holder. If he was really worried about that, he should have left more than 7 on the clock.

Teams practice that (at least they should). Seven seconds is plenty of time to get the job done, but if you really want to be picky, probably should have called the TO with 8-10 seconds left.

On that last play in the Seahawks vs. Lions. The ref was standing right in front of KJ Wright when he batted the ball out of bounds. He even reaches for the flag, but stops himself. I would love to see an interview with him as to why he didn't throw it.

That being said if Calvin Johnson doesn't reach for the end zone and just goes down. Lions have first and ten from the 1 yard line. Also would have the chance to run the clock down.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 10:27 AM)
On that last play in the Seahawks vs. Lions. The ref was standing right in front of KJ Wright when he batted the ball out of bounds. He even reaches for the flag, but stops himself. I would love to see an interview with him as to why he didn't throw it.

That being said if Calvin Johnson doesn't reach for the end zone and just goes down. Lions have first and ten from the 1 yard line. Also would have the chance to run the clock down.

The ref said he did not believe it was done intentionally at that time.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 10:04 AM)
He totally hits it on purpose. He could have just grabbed it and went to a knee. Which makes me think he didn't know that rule.

Brian Floyd @BrianMFloyd

KJ Wright said he batted the ball out. Didn't want to take a chance diving on it. He didn't know the rule

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 09:03 AM)
Teams practice that (at least they should). Seven seconds is plenty of time to get the job done, but if you really want to be picky, probably should have called the TO with 8-10 seconds left.

The chances of a botched snap where the holder actually is able to throw it away is pretty slim. Usually it's botched because the holder doesn't have control of it. If Oakland took that last kickoff to the house, there would be no sympathy for Fox calling TO with 7 seconds left.

I wonder if he would have had a different strategy if the game was tied. Like if he went for 2 down 14-12.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 07:03 PM)
Was surprised we picked up Barrett Jones. Really thought he was great at Alabama.

I know nothing.

He is probably one of the greatest collegiate offensive linemen of all time. It's too bad it hasn't translated to the pros.

Injuries killed him, and if I remember correctly he alsowas also said to be weak. We know with Grasu you can be really good at the collegiant level and still be too weak for the NFL.

I remember a lot of people wanting him, even in the first round. Reports cane out from scouts that they wouldn't touch him till the 4th at the earliest. People thought that was crazy, and here we are.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 07:33 PM)
Injuries killed him, and if I remember correctly he alsowas also said to be weak. We know with Grasu you can be really good at the collegiant level and still be too weak for the NFL.

I remember a lot of people wanting him, even in the first round. Reports cane out from scouts that they wouldn't touch him till the 4th at the earliest. People thought that was crazy, and here we are.

Yeah, you never really hear his name. What's the deal with him?

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 07:39 PM)
Yeah, you never really hear his name. What's the deal with him?

From all I've heard he's just simply too weak at this point. I remember Matt Bowan said he was getting pushed around all training camp. I'm assuming they just want him to get stronger.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 08:17 PM)
From all I've heard he's just simply too weak at this point. I remember Matt Bowan said he was getting pushed around all training camp. I'm assuming they just want him to get stronger.

Adam Jahns said he looks like a retired OL who lost a lot of weight. Says he is slight compared to the rest and needs to put on about 25 lbs.

If they can get him stronger, it could be a good pick. My dad is friends with Jerry Vanisi former Bears GM. He told him when they drafted Richard Dent, his teeth were so bad, he couldn't eat. They got that fixed and he became an 8th round HOFer.

Hopefully, this guy can put on some weight, and not have it slow him down.

Olin Kreutz mentioned that Grasu may just need to learn about leverage in the NFL. The guy looks small in pads, but he is pretty tall at 6'3" for a center, and is listed at 300lbs.

Olin said his first practice first play Mike Wells came across the line in pursuit and completely blasted him onto his back, because he had no idea how to use leverage

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 10:49 AM)
Olin Kreutz mentioned that Grasu may just need to learn about leverage in the NFL. The guy looks small in pads, but he is pretty tall at 6'3" for a center, and is listed at 300lbs.

Olin said his first practice first play Mike Wells came across the line in pursuit and completely blasted him onto his back, because he had no idea how to use leverage

How did they not see that before they drafted him?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
How did they not see that before they drafted him?

They knew. I think Grasu is an 8 year starter. It just won't be this year. My biggest issue with him is that he's already 24 years old. I loved him at Oregon though. He's already added 10 pounds.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 08:57 AM)
Olin acted like it is a pretty normal thing

Supposedly Olin was in a similar position when he came in and was essentially redshirted until he learned that stuff. Different game playing center, especially in a spread offense.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 11:02 AM)
Supposedly Olin was in a similar position when he came in and was essentially redshirted until he learned that stuff. Different game playing center, especially in a spread offense.

I dont see the correlation there.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)
I dont see the correlation there.

Was not correlating Olin and Grasu in regards to spread...just correlating the two and then adding in that Grasu also had to deal with the spread which supposedly slows your development as well.