2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 06:35 AM)
Science. This guy is pretty awesome

Neil deGrasse Tyson

‎@neiltyson

Today's @Bengals winning OT field goal was likely enabled by a 1/3-in deflection to the right, caused by Earth’s Rotation.

3:48 PM - 11 Oct 2015

4,666 4,666 Retweets

5,004 5,004 favorites

"Likely" means he's just guessing.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 09:00 AM)
Um, no. I do not think longterm we are better off if our last two draft classes are irredeemable just so that we have a chance at 1 dynamic player.

Beating bad teams is the first step to beating good teams. We just beat a team with 1/3 of our offensive line missing, a hobbled QB, 3 of our top receivers out, our starting safety, our starting ILB and starting rookies all over the place.

That is what getting better looks like.

I'm not saying you don't play them to see what they can offer, but winning close games is moronic at this point. They're not making the playoffs. They have no chance of being good this year, so why hurt your draft position? It makes no sense. Frankly they need to start selling pieces for whatever draft picks they can get. This team needs a rebuild, not a minor repair job.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 09:12 AM)
I'm not saying you don't play them to see what they can offer, but winning close games is moronic at this point. They're not making the playoffs. They have no chance of being good this year, so why hurt your draft position? It makes no sense. Frankly they need to start selling pieces for whatever draft picks they can get. This team needs a rebuild, not a minor repair job.

Sorry but nobody on that team or coaching staff is going to try and lose games. Hurting the draft position is not something that anyone but fans and media thinks about.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 09:10 AM)
People obsess about first round picks, but teams need good overall drafts. You can miss on the first round if you hit in the later rounds.

First round picks used to be more important because the contracts used to be huge. Not that way anymore.

Sure, but you can either trade your high pick for more picks, or keep it and have better late round picks as well. Being "better" is of zero value going forward. Winning close games against bad teams does nothing.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 09:14 AM)
Sorry but nobody on that team or coaching staff is going to try and lose games. Hurting the draft position is not something that anyone but fans and media thinks about.

Look towards the north side of town for a pretty great example of that strategy working out swell.

Players and coaches shouldn't be losing. The front office should.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 09:16 AM)
Look towards the north side of town for a pretty great example of that strategy working out swell.

Players and coaches shouldn't be losing. The front office should.

Baseball team strategy is not the same as football team strategy. You arent dumb, you know that

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 09:17 AM)
Baseball team strategy is not the same as football team strategy. You arent dumb, you know that

There's no reason the same strategy can't work. This team isn't a player or two away from being a contender. They need picks. They need lots and lots of picks. Trade every decent asset and look towards making a run in 3 seasons.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 09:19 AM)
There's no reason the same strategy can't work. This team isn't a player or two away from being a contender. They need picks. They need lots and lots of picks. Trade every decent asset and look towards making a run in 3 seasons.

No, the Bears are not going to tank for three years in order to get high picks, especially after dropping a hefty dime on this coaching staff. Come on, how many trades happen in the NFL every year? The Bears made two trades a few weeks ago and everyone was astonished.

The Bears aren't going to "trade every decent asset" for picks because it doesn't happen like that. You build through the draft, right now the Bears have 9 picks next year and they can still make trades after the season in order to acquire more.

You aren't getting anything for Forte. You aren't getting anything for Young. The Bears are Trying to figure out which players are worth keeping for the core going forward, stop wishing for something that is not gonna happen

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 09:25 AM)
No, the Bears are not going to tank for three years in order to get high picks, especially after dropping a hefty dime on this coaching staff. Come on, how many trades happen in the NFL every year? The Bears made two trades a few weeks ago and everyone was astonished.

The Bears aren't going to "trade every decent asset" for picks because it doesn't happen like that. You build through the draft, right now the Bears have 9 picks next year and they can still make trades after the season in order to acquire more.

You aren't getting anything for Forte. You aren't getting anything for Young. The Bears are Trying to figure out which players are worth keeping for the core going forward, stop wishing for something that is not gonna happen

So you see no detriment to picking 15th versus 5th? That's my argument here. Winning isn't a good thing. Playing well and developing is a good thing, but winning games is not.

You are going to play in close games in the NFL, even bad teams are similar in talent to good teams. And in close games you will see it shake out 50/50. You want the bears to be playing in close games, because if they are getting blown out every week even by bad teams that means even the core you identified sucks. That's a worse position to be in.

Now, if going into the final week we are 6-9 and the draft position can swing 5 spots or so with a win, I will not be happy if we win. But we aren't there yet, and Leno/Grasu improving, Goldman/Sutton/Ferguson staying on field hopefully, and Amos playing is really really good longterm.

Leno really looks like he is at least a 2 deep LT. That's excellent from a 7th round pick.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 09:31 AM)
So you see no detriment to picking 15th versus 5th? That's my argument here. Winning isn't a good thing. Playing well and developing is a good thing, but winning games is not.

Draft position is so overrated, imo. If you have great scouting, it does not matter where you pick because you will find talent all over, at every position. Even at QB, the hardest position to fill, there are just as many top flight QBs who were not drafted in the top half of the first round than where drafted in the top half of the first round.

At the end of the today, it comes down to scouting and developing. The Packers do it the best and never draft high. Ditto with the Patriots. The Ravens/Steelers.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 09:41 AM)
Draft position is so overrated, imo. If you have great scouting, it does not matter where you pick because you will find talent all over, at every position. Even at QB, the hardest position to fill, there are just as many top flight QBs who were not drafted in the top half of the first round than where drafted in the top half of the first round.

At the end of the today, it comes down to scouting and developing. The Packers do it the best and never draft high. Ditto with the Patriots. The Ravens/Steelers.

This is very true.

Plus, there are only 4 teams in the NFC that are above 500 right now. With a win next week and going 3-3 into the bye, and a pretty soft 2nd half of the schedule, dare I say the Bears have an outside chance at the playoffs?

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 09:40 AM)
Packers defense is better than the Packer offense right now. Weird to see.

I don't know, when I watch the packers even when they are "struggling" I still kind of feel like if he needs to Rodgers will score at will. They were up 2 scores in both games last few weeks, didn't seem like the offense needed to go for more than taking care of ball.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 01:55 PM)
It is nuts, and it isnt slowing down

Is there more league wide injuries now then say 5 years ago?

Is it because defenders are hitting in different areas then previously? There seems like there are far more injuries now that guys are striking the offensive players lower and more with their arms and not the shoulders.

QUOTE (shipps @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 04:32 PM)
Is there more league wide injuries now then say 5 years ago?

Is it because defenders are hitting in different areas then previously? There seems like there are far more injuries now that guys are striking the offensive players lower and more with their arms and not the shoulders.

There are definitely more games missed because of head-related injuries than five years ago with the League's new concussion protocols. As far as other injuries, who knows? I am sure there is a study out there.

I would guess it's about the same but you have runs of bad luck. I would not be surprised if Bears do well next year and it coincides with a suddenly healthy team. 2013 was brutal dline injuries, 2014 was fairly healthy but slausson hurt to lose. This year its fairly democratic.