2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 12:38 PM)
Was not correlating Olin and Grasu in regards to spread...just correlating the two and then adding in that Grasu also had to deal with the spread which supposedly slows your development as well.

Thats what I dont get. There are many types of spread-based offenses just like there are many kinds of "pro-style" or "west coast." What spread hinders OL development?

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)
Thats what I dont get. There are many types of spread-based offenses just like there are many kinds of "pro-style" or "west coast." What spread hinders OL development?

I'm not an olinemen, but their was a lot of talk recently about how spread offenses are way easier for olinemen and that they don't develop a lot of the critical techniques to block in a more standard pro offense. Not sure if it is pass protecting or run blocking in the set but I'd presume both. Focus points are different and because of it, it has made it far harder to draft players as you aren't able to project how they will block in an NFL system. Can't remember who the main analyst was who was talking about it, but I also saw similar comments in regards to Grasu and how in a spread you really don't deal with leverage and the more technical aspects of blocking.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
I'm not an olinemen, but their was a lot of talk recently about how spread offenses are way easier for olinemen and that they don't develop a lot of the critical techniques to block in a more standard pro offense. Not sure if it is pass protecting or run blocking in the set but I'd presume both. Focus points are different and because of it, it has made it far harder to draft players as you aren't able to project how they will block in an NFL system. Can't remember who the main analyst was who was talking about it, but I also saw similar comments in regards to Grasu and how in a spread you really don't deal with leverage and the more technical aspects of blocking.

I'd like to see that analysis, just last season OSU, who runs a spread, put 3 rookie OL starters in the NFL including a center. They attributed their easy transition to the preparation they received in their college scheme. Thats part of the basis of my confusion here, I havent seen a blanket "spread" concept being using as a hinderance in OL prep.

Ill add ive seen certain schemes focus more on smaller guards and maybe that hurts the transition, but never actual scheme.

Edited by RockRaines

http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sport...l#axzz3nuGlbyyv

Older article with some quotes from the Steelers director of football operations.

Colbert said evaluating offensive linemen has become more difficult since techniques they use in college may be different than in the pros. In addition, offensive tackles do not line up in three-point stances as frequently in the spread as they do in traditional NFL offenses.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 10:57 AM)
I'd like to see that analysis, just last season OSU, who runs a spread, put 3 rookie OL starters in the NFL including a center. They attributed their easy transition to the preparation they received in their college scheme. Thats part of the basis of my confusion here, I havent seen a blanket "spread" concept being using as a hinderance in OL prep.

Ill add ive seen certain schemes focus more on smaller guards and maybe that hurts the transition, but never actual scheme.

On a sidenote, I've never heard someone say spread offense makes an olinemen better or would help them transition. Spread linemen might be athletic, depending on scheme they play in, but just think of the nature of the spread offense...you don't have to hold your blocks as long, rush blocking is different and you tend not to rush as much as well. Whole thing is so much different then the general NFL game. Yes, NFL is adding elements of spread offense to its game...the standard pro style offense is still king.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)
http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2015/05...fl-free-agency/?

Their is commentary from Tom Cable, oline coach of the Seahawks (and former Raiders head coach).

Started off good but then it focused on them drafting D-line guys to convert them to OL, that would be starting completely from scratch which would put them even further behind the 8 ball in knowledge. Kind of a weird article.

Looking at the OT rankings for this years prospects 6 out of the top 10 are from spread-based offenses and 7 of the top 10 guards. It will be interesting to examine the success of these guys in being able to start immediately moving forward.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 01:09 PM)
On a sidenote, I've never heard someone say spread offense makes an olinemen better or would help them transition. Spread linemen might be athletic, depending on scheme they play in, but just think of the nature of the spread offense...you don't have to hold your blocks as long, rush blocking is different and you tend not to rush as much as well. Whole thing is so much different then the general NFL game. Yes, NFL is adding elements of spread offense to its game...the standard pro style offense is still king.

Ah ok. You are talking about a specific type of spread offense there which focuses on throwing, many successful spread offenses focus more on running specifically power running. So you really are focused on offense in general that throw the ball primarily which would also include some of the west coast offenses we see in college as well.

Let me put it this way: If you cannot distinguish if an offensive line mainly zone, man or gap blocks in their run or passing game then tagging it with a generic term like "spread" doesnt do anything for me. A "spread" offense means there are at least 3 WR's in the formation, thats it.

Sark puts in a good way here, especially since he runs a "pro-style spread"

I'm not really a fan of descriptors like "spread" and "pro-style" because they are often used in such a lazy way that they don't generally enhance anybody's understanding. It is a fact that football strategy and tactics are ever evolving, mostly derivative, and deeply cyclical. That makes them a moving target composed of near infinite, mostly self-referential, variations. The run heavy pro-style offense of the 1970s didn't look much like the heavily West Coast offense derived pro-style offense of the 1990s. And today's generic pro-style offense looks a lot like the college one-back offenses of the 1990s, which were themselves derived from the college one-back spread offenses that were pioneered by the Snohomish County coaching mafia (Dennis Erickson, Mike Price, Keith Gilbertson) in the Big Sky conference in the late-1980s.

As far as the spread moniker goes, people use that term to describe a wide variety of offenses that actually have less in common than you might think. The main requirement seems to be that if the base personnel grouping includes three or more wide receivers, people call it a spread. Nevermind that the Run-and-Shoot is fundamentally different from the Air Raid and the mostly zone-based spread-to-run offense that Chip Kelly ran at Oregon is massively different from both of those.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 02:17 PM)
Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 1h1 hour ago

Rookie C Hroniss Grasu says he took some reps with the first team at #Bears practice today.

I hope he turns into a beast of a center. Would be great. I've always felt championships and top teams are built at the lines.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 04:25 PM)
I hope he turns into a beast of a center. Would be great. I've always felt championships and top teams are built at the lines.

It's hard not to be bullish with Pace picks at this point. Adams and Goldman look like they're progressing nicely. The first pick is out, though, so I guess we'll see.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 05:11 PM)
It's hard not to be bullish with Pace picks at this point. Adams and Goldman look like they're progressing nicely. The first pick is out, though, so I guess we'll see.

Who is Adams? Amos? I've been very impressed with Amos, but am not sure who Adams is.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 06:27 PM)
Bears released Timu. Really hope he clears waivers and hits the PS. Really liked what I saw from him in preseason.

No clue who the backup ILB is right now. Jonathon Anderson on the main roster?

Signed to the practice squad

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 06:27 PM)
Bears released Timu. Really hope he clears waivers and hits the PS. Really liked what I saw from him in preseason.

No clue who the backup ILB is right now. Jonathon Anderson on the main roster?

Lamin Barrow.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 10:29 AM)
Lamin Barrow.

Forgot all about picking him up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 9, 2015 -> 01:25 PM)
Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 1h1 hour ago

Bushrod is out. Rolle is doubtful.

Leno surprised me by not being terrible against some pretty good pass rushers, would be really nice if he turns into a guy. I believe

Bushrod is gone next year so if he and Long can handle the tackle positions that's huge.