ST: 3/24 vs Rockies

flavum

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 03:38 PM)
With Melky/Avi/Gillaspie/Johnson likely starting, it has the makings of a mediocre defense. Just have to hope those guys hit enough to overcome their defense.

Not to mention Abreu over LaRoche and any time Soto plays a position other than DH.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 09:43 PM)
Definitely in the "Let's just get to opening day healthy" portion of spring training. No more injuries other than Sale.

Agreed, and I would love to hear Cooper on the radio taking questions from the hosts about the pitching so far. It would make for great comedy.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 03:44 PM)
Agreed, and I would love to hear Cooper on the radio taking questions from the hosts about the pitching so far. It would make for great comedy.

:angry:

One of the icons along with Hawk hammer should be prickly/mildly irritated/defensive yet dismissive with Chris Rongey Garden Gnome Don Cooper.

Edited by caulfield12

Hawk and Stone are right on about kid's arms that's for sure. Teach your kid a good fastball and a good changeup THEN when he's old enough (probably 14) then teach him a breaking ball. Not only is that they way to get to MLB (good change good fastball good control) but it's incredibly important to protect the young elbow.

My pops was exactly like Stone on this and they are right.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 11:13 PM)
Hawk and Stone are right on about kid's arms that's for sure. Teach your kid a good fastball and a good changeup THEN when he's old enough (probably 14) then teach him a breaking ball. Not only is that they way to get to MLB (good change good fastball good control) but it's incredibly important to protect the young elbow.

My pops was exactly like Stone on this and they are right.

with all due respect, but let the young kid, throw what he is throwing, teach him nothing. let his body / arm grow. little league, or later, fast balls only. hs soph - junior, learn the different types of pitches and see what comes natural, no strain on the arm and elbow. after hs, let the pro's teach them the rest, college coaches or minors.

there is sooo much pressure on winning, let the kid grow up naturally, let the real pro's teach him.

~~~ edit, Ptatc opinion on this would be great. he would know alot more.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 05:43 PM)
with all due respect, but let the young kid, throw what he is throwing, teach him nothing. let his body / arm grow. little league, or later, fast balls only. hs soph - junior, learn the different types of pitches and see what comes natural, no strain on the arm and elbow. after hs, let the pro's teach them the rest, college coaches or minors.

there is sooo much pressure on winning, let the kid grow up naturally, let the real pro's teach him.

~~~ edit, Ptatc opinion on this would be great. he would know alot more.

I agree with the previous poster. Fastball and straight change only until high school. The straight change should be just the fastball with a different grip. It teaches them arm speed and arm slot.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 25, 2015 -> 02:56 AM)
I agree with the previous poster. Fastball and straight change only until high school. The straight change should be just the fastball with a different grip. It teaches them arm speed and arm slot.

if anyone going to know, it is prob you.

just wanting to add one last statement. now i understand the info i knew was prob been old way of thinking, with new technology add more education.

when in college, a minor league coach from Vancouver, when the sox had a minor team there, he taught us that fastball is the best way for young players to develop. in hs, the young player should learn different speed and movement, natural movement of the fastball with placing it in different area of where you want the pitch.

but that was really old time and i was wrong.

thanks.