Ballpark Pass/Plus

he gone.

Received an email from the Sox today:

Ever dream of the flexibility to go to White Sox games when you want? With the White Sox Ballpark Pass and the Ballpark Pass Plus, you can!

Ballpark Pass Plus

For a one-time cost of $49, you are guaranteed a seat at U.S. Cellular Field for 21 games during the months of April and May (excluding Opening Day and May 23)*.

Ballpark Pass

For a one-time cost of $29, you are guaranteed a seat at U.S. Cellular Field for 11 Monday-Thursday games during the months of April and May**.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/ticket...0232-785460563#

Maybe I am reading this wrong -- because it seems so ridiculously cheap, but that equates to basically $2 and some change for a ticket in the Upper Corners, Lower Corners, and Lower Reserved seats. Doubt anybody can take advantage of going to all of those games, however for that price it seems like you could just show up on Monday's get your free t-shirt, other random games and get your promotion gift, and come up on top BEFORE even taking into account the baseball game being played itself......

Not sure the end game here, going to guess it really inflates the "paid" attendance numbers. Any way to get more butts in seats I guess.

If someone lives in Bridgeport or has no responsibilities, seems like a pretty cool promotion to take apart of.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Mar 30, 2015 -> 03:20 PM)
Just by the text you included, I am assuming this is a PSL. You are PROMISED a seat if you were to buy a ticket, I believe is the idea. So that way you don't have to worry about a game being sold out, because they will save a ticket for you if you choose to buy one.

That's actually not how I interpret that. Seeing as they are Upper Corners, Lower Corners, and Lower Reserved I think the Sox are viewing this as a way to get people into seats that are not otherwise occupied. Purchasing a PSL for those areas in the ballpark wouldn't exactly be in high demand.

Basically they say you purchase this pass -- 2 hours before the game they'll send you a text or through the App and state where your seats are for the game and you decide if you are going to accept them and actually attend the game. That's my only thing (wouldn't you always say yes, if there is no penalty?) You go, you go, you don't you don't. The tickets are non transferable, so you can't sell them to anyone, and it also sounds like you have to all arrive at the same time.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Mar 30, 2015 -> 03:31 PM)
That's actually not how I interpret that. Seeing as they are Upper Corners, Lower Corners, and Lower Reserved I think the Sox are viewing this as a way to get people into seats that are not otherwise occupied. Purchasing a PSL for those areas in the ballpark wouldn't exactly be in high demand.

Basically they say you purchase this pass -- 2 hours before the game they'll send you a text or through the App and state where your seats are for the game and you decide if you are going to accept them and actually attend the game. That's my only thing (wouldn't you always say yes, if there is no penalty?) You go, you go, you don't you don't. The tickets are non transferable, so you can't sell them to anyone, and it also sounds like you have to all arrive at the same time.

Yeah, I don't know. I read over the FAQs and they never say the word "ticket", and they never answer if you also need a ticket for each game. I wonder if they made this vague for that very reason, I don't know, may want to call or email them.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 07:04 AM)
Brilliant marketing idea.

Even if you only go to five games, you've still paid less than $10/ticket, but the Sox get to count you as paid attendance for all 21 games, which bumps up the attendance figures.

Didn't even think of that angle. But that is an interesting point. Would it really work that way? Don't you have to "accept" tickets for the game with this app? So if you don't "accept," I am not sure you count as attending. But I really have no idea.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 07:08 AM)
Didn't even think of that angle. But that is an interesting point. Would it really work that way? Don't you have to "accept" tickets for the game with this app? So if you don't "accept," I am

not sure you count as attending. But I really have no idea.

And they get to sell concessions. I've always said that they should give away tickets because people will buy stuff at the park.

Didn't even think of that angle. But that is an interesting point. Would it really work that way? Don't you have to "accept" tickets for the game with this app? So if you don't "accept," I am not sure you count as attending. But I really have no idea.

Whether you show up or not, there are seats somewhere in the park that you have paid for. Just the same as anybody else who buys tickets but doesn't show up.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 07:16 AM)
Whether you show up or not, there are seats somewhere in the park that you have paid for. Just the same as anybody else who buys tickets but doesn't show up.

The description on the Sox website says:

We'll alert you via text message, and then you will need to accept the seats within the app to indicate you're going to the game.

So if you do not accept, I do not think you count in the same way as a regular season ticket holder who just chooses not to attend a game.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 07:19 AM)
The description on the Sox website says:

So if you do not accept, I do not think you count in the same way as a regular season ticket holder who just chooses not to attend a game.

The official attendance has always been based on "tickets sold" so my guess would be you are in "attendance" if you accept the ticket.

If you live within 50 miles of the Cell there is no excuse not to buy this. t took me all of 3 minutes of research to decide "Yea, I'm getting this." I cant make the weekday day games, which is fine, but even taking those out of the equation I'm paying like $3/game. I had no problem with $7 really, but $3 is for 3 hours of entertainment is ludicrously cheap. Is this what the 70's were like?

Even Cubs fans are buying it.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 09:17 AM)
If you live within 50 miles of the Cell there is no excuse not to buy this. t took me all of 3 minutes of research to decide "Yea, I'm getting this." I cant make the weekday day games, which is fine, but even taking those out of the equation I'm paying like $3/game. I had no problem with $7 really, but $3 is for 3 hours of entertainment is ludicrously cheap. Is this what the 70's were like?

Even Cubs fans are buying it.

If I had a normal Monday-Friday 9-5 job, I would absolutely do this. But I work a lot of 11-7 or 1-9 hours and I work every Friday/Saturday/Sunday, so it's hard for me to do this with friends. We bought our 7 game ticket plan, so I guess that will just have to be enough.

It seems like one of those too good to be true deals, however I believe its for a few reasons.

a- inflate actual attendance numbers

b- sell more parking and concessions

c- why not do anything to get people out to the park in April and May when its cold/school is still going? If the product is good, they are more likely to return in the summer months.

I'd be curious to see how many fans buy this package. 500? 1,000?

They also introduced a "flash" sale that on each Monday at 5pm CST they will release 200 tickets for $10 throughout the lower bowl. They said some tickets may even be in the Gold Box section.

I think they are doing their best to generate interest and clicks back to the ticketing sections each day/week with these promotions. I like it. Now we just need to win baby win.

Also, one other thing.. if someone just likes collecting the promotional items this is a way you can do so for almost free.

Sat, April 11 - White Sox Welcome Mat

Mon, April 20 - Jose Abreu t-shirt

T/W, April 21-22 - Sox Calendar

Fri, April 24 0 White Sox Tote Bag

Sat, April 25 - Jose Abreu ROY Blanket

Sat, May 9 - Mothers Day Tote Bag

Mon, May 18 Free Shirt Monday

Not bad for $2 and some change.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 12:25 PM)
It seems like one of those too good to be true deals, however I believe its for a few reasons.

a- inflate actual attendance numbers

b- sell more parking and concessions

c- why not do anything to get people out to the park in April and May when its cold/school is still going? If the product is good, they are more likely to return in the summer months.

I'd be curious to see how many fans buy this package. 500? 1,000?

They also introduced a "flash" sale that on each Monday at 5pm CST they will release 200 tickets for $10 throughout the lower bowl. They said some tickets may even be in the Gold Box section.

I think they are doing their best to generate interest and clicks back to the ticketing sections each day/week with these promotions. I like it. Now we just need to win baby win.

i think many for years have been saying "why not just sell upper deck for $2 in April/Sept" with the attendance so low. However, I do think that's a hard decision for the club, who wouldn't want to undercut the loyal season tix holders who bought for more.

That said, they did this and it's awesome. I hope it works.