ST: 4/1 Split Squads

flavum

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 04:49 PM)
Samardzija...I haven't really watched much ST, but has he been pretty tough to watch, the entire month? Yeah, it's Spring Training, blah blah...but by this point of the month, it should be more about getting into your normal rhythm, and not experimenting, etc...

His ERA in official games for the Cubs last year was 5.14, batters hit .346 against him.

QUOTE (Baron @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 10:02 PM)
You know I think it was also fathom who at this point last year was saying the samething about Jose that he's saying about Jeff.

It's not the ERA that worries me about Samardzija, it's the nearly .5 homers/inning he's allowing. I'm sure he'll be fine though, and hopefully he gets off to a hot start like he has in recent years.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 04:06 PM)
It's not the ERA that worries me about Samardzija, it's the nearly .5 homers/inning he's allowing. I'm sure he'll be fine though, and hopefully he gets off to a hot start like he has in recent years.

I mean from what I saw last game his fastball was really the culprit. His breaking pitches looked fine.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 03:49 PM)
Samardzija...I haven't really watched much ST, but has he been pretty tough to watch, the entire month? Yeah, it's Spring Training, blah blah...but by this point of the month, it should be more about getting into your normal rhythm, and not experimenting, etc...

Kershaw had an ERA over 6 last spring.

Jarrett Casey, all the lefties (whoever he is)!

Trey M. getting into the action...Abreu continuing to absolutely rake (2/3, .527), and Carlos Sanchez now over .400 (.05) for the spring.

Avi Garcia just homered now (2nd of the spring) off Mr. Paxton, 3 for 3 with 4 RBI's.

Finally, "Yogi" Farrell 2/2 and Carroll has pitched well this spring, completely non-projectable Axelrodish 1.59 ERA.

Edited by caulfield12

I'm not worried about the Spring Training numbers of guys who are guaranteed for the roster and have nothing to prove to anyone. As others have pointed out, Quintana and Kershaw both got rocked in 2014 in March, and they turned out fine. However, if Abreu wants to hit .520 this year, that's fine by me.

QUOTE (Baron @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 03:27 PM)
The day Scott Carroll is off the team will be a good day

He's nowhere near as bad as you're making him out to be. Get real.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 03:35 PM)
Yep, Carroll is fine for what he is. If your team is relying on him to start 30 games, it's probably in trouble. But as a long man/emergency starter, you could do a lot worse. He also seems like a great clubhouse guy.

This.

QUOTE (Baron @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 09:29 PM)
I mean completely gone. Not wearing any White Sox affiliated uniform. The Knights dont deserve that type of torture either.

This hating is getting old. I am glad tosee Carrol getting some wrk and I am glad Beckham is on the team along with Johnson and Sanchez

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 07:30 PM)
Why do people hate Scott Carroll? Not only is he a decent emergency starter, but he seems like a really likeable and fun guy. Weird hatred.

I don't understand it. I know he's not the most talented guy in the world, but with his story and personality it's impossible not to root for him. I'm definitely a fan of his.

He's not nearly as bad as he's been made out to be either. He had his moments as a starter last season and he was good in his limited appearances out of the bullpen. I can see him sticking in this league as a longman and spot starter.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 07:30 PM)
Why do people hate Scott Carroll? Not only is he a decent emergency starter, but he seems like a really likeable and fun guy. Weird hatred.

All the personality in the world doesn't mean you have what it takes. I like the guy, mostly because of what he overcame to get to the majors, but the Sox have better options at their disposal.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 09:55 PM)
All the personality in the world doesn't mean you have what it takes. I like the guy, mostly because of what he overcame to get to the majors, but the Sox have better options at their disposal.

Better options for what? It's not like we're counting on him for anything. We're talking about a guy in AAA who we can call-up for a spot start or to be an extra bullpen arm if the need arises.

I guess I don't even know what's being discussed at this point. I could understand the frustration if we had him penciled in the rotation, but that's not the case.

This is a lot of consternation for a guy who will likely spend most of the season in Charlotte.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 08:57 PM)
I don't understand it. I know he's not the most talented guy in the world, but with his story and personality it's impossible not to root for him. I'm definitely a fan of his.

He's not nearly as bad as he's been made out to be either. He had his moments as a starter last season and he was good in his limited appearances out of the bullpen. I can see him sticking in this league as a longman and spot starter.

I agree. He's actually a very useful player in emergency situations. He can come and pitch pretty much any time he is needed. I went to his first career start, so I'll always like him. He wasn't too bad when he was given playing time either.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Apr 2, 2015 -> 04:13 AM)
Better options for what? It's not like we're counting on him for anything. We're talking about a guy in AAA who we can call-up for a spot start or to be an extra bullpen arm if the need arises.

I guess I don't even know what's being discussed at this point. I could understand the frustration if we had him penciled in the rotation, but that's not the case.

This is a lot of consternation for a guy who will likely spend most of the season in Charlotte.

i really enjoy a good life story.... Carroll provided it by trying to make the big league. well for me, i will still root for him, i really enjoy rooting for the underdog.