Carlos Rodon's Major League Debut

Condor13

I for one love how he is fighting and battling in a situation he has NEVER been in before. This was his first time EVER coming out of the bullpen (at any level) and the team put him in a Fail-Fail situation. He looked like he was over-throwing his fastball with all that adreneline it is understandable. His fastball looked like it has some late life to it and that slider looked wicked. I thought that the players around him looked like they were more supportive and understanding of the situation he was brought in to, but that may just be my optimism. Hopefully this gets all the jitters and butterflies out of the way and he can go back to STARTING very soon. Thought?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think bringing him into a jam was as much of a cardinal sin as people are claiming and Moss was a good candidate for his first hitter - a lefty who's scuffling and strikes out a ton. Unfortunately they didn't know how wild he would be, the guy on deck was an evil hellspawn, and the rest is history.

I think it is just because it was his major league debut and he had NEVER pitched out of the bullpen in his life. Pitchers have routines. He has only ever known the routine of a starter so to throw him in there you have to have expected a sub par performance, right? If Rodon was a relief pitcher in the minors, or had any experience whatsoever out of the bullpen then I would say that situation was not that bad but he doesn't. Other then the control issues I thought he looked rather good for the whole situation.

What was Chris Sale's relief experience level at Florida Gulf Coast pre-2010?

24 relief appearances for FGC, 11 relief appearances for W-S and Charlotte in 2010.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/pro...sp?P=Chris-Sale

Hard to expect Carlos Rodon to follow the same exact path without nearly the same or similar comfort level coming out of the bullpen...and the specific situation he was inserted into was a pretty tough one.

Sure, he's a VERY confident kid, but there were a multitude of better ways to go about this...like using Jennings and having Rodon's first appearance be in a mop-up/non-pressure role to help him get his feet wet and under him. Build upon success, instead of letting a doubt or two creep into his mind. (Like with Buehrle in 2000).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 09:21 PM)
Not ready.

Bad situation to bring him in.

Get his ass back to Charlotte for 8 starts, and then talk.

And Robin stinks.

Wow, even Flavum's gone over to the dark side.

That's not easy to accomplish, even for the White Sox.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 09:24 PM)
My thoughts are

a)I don't know why the braintrust in the dugout picked a high leverage situation for his first appearance.

b)I don't know why the Sox called him up anyway considering his poor last outing in Charlotte and to just use in the bullpen.

Kris Bryant/Addison Russell PR-attendance counter-move.

LOL.

If that was EVER discussed, and let's SINCERELY hope it wasn't internally by anyone (only the Chicago media or casual/message board fans), then they've got even bigger problems than previously thought.

Well, maybe Brooks Boyer or Rongey...I could live with their "hoping" he would come up at this time.

Charlotte Knights want to leave him on their homepage banner, for the moment.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (staxx @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 11:32 PM)
You need to test him in high leverage situations, debut or not.

He was flat out wild tonight, he'll come back fine.

I would agree if he was a reliever. Some people are not relievers and for someone he will not be a bullpen pitcher for this team I just don't see why he is not starting whether it is in AAA or the majors he should be starting not coming out of the bullpen.

I thought it sucked and the entire plan was fubar from the start. It was unsound strategy all around -- not good for Rodon (imo) or the Sox. You can argue maybe it was OK for Rodon but in no way was it smart in game strategy to bring him in in such a tough spot for his debut.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 10:24 PM)
My thoughts are

b)I don't know why the Sox called him up anyway considering his poor last outing in Charlotte and to just use in the bullpen.

They will need to limit his innings if they hope for him to be starting for Chicago at the end of the season. While he may take some lumps, the assumption is that he'll quickly be one of our better pitchers out of the pen, removing the inferior innings of whoever he replaced (Drabek, Guerra). Limit his innings so he can join the rotation at some point this season because they're trying to make the playoffs. At the same time you're getting him acclimated to life in the big leagues.

His debut was fine. Like a lot of other people I wasn't a fan of when he was put in, I thought it was setting him up to fail. You know he is going to be semi nervous with a lot of adrenaline going through him, so why would you bring him in a 1 run game in the 6th with runners on 1st and 3rd? They really needed to bring him in that moment? I just felt like the coaching staff (Robin & Coop) were willing to throw the game away so Rodon could pitch. I would have been totally fine bringing him in to start the 6th or 7th or bringing him in with nobody on. He has never come out of the bullpen, he's not use to it and the first thing you do is put him in a high leverage situation against a division opponent when we have already had a tough start to the season. Just not a smart decision, IMO