NCAA basketball 2015-16 thread

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 22, 2015 -> 02:06 AM)
Can we fire Groce at half time?

Have a feeling both of our favorite teams (Illinois/GT) will be looking for new coaches come April. GT lost to ETSU at the buzzer today because Gregory had his team foul ETSU with 8 secs left with GT up 3. ETSU made both FT, GT split their FT and ETSU hit a 3 to win. He literally gave him the only possible option to lose in regulation.

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 07:53 PM)
If this holds it would be the worst loss in Illinois history. Groce should be fired tomorrow AM.

We're going to win this game. It'd be impossible not too.

But losing at half to Chicago State is still the worst lost in Illinois history. They're that bad.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 08:53 PM)
If this holds it would be the worst loss in Illinois history. Groce should be fired tomorrow AM.

This program has sucked for 9 years now. Illinois is the king of letting coaches stay too long. Weber inherited a top 15 program and we haven't had a team at that level since Dee's senior year 10 years ago. Two terrible hires in a row and now you have a program that is a complete after thought in the college basketball world.

And I'd like to revisit the discussion from last year where someone posted that even in hindsight they wouldn't not hire Weber because of the 04-05 season. Given that we didn't win the title that year I would give up that season in a heartbeat (and that might be my favorite team in any sport ever) if it meant we could hire a real coach and didn't have to deal with the last 9 years of Weber/Groce. Hell, maybe a different coach wins the title with that team.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 08:57 PM)
We're going to win this game. It'd be impossible not too.

But losing at half to Chicago State is still the worst lost in Illinois history. They're that bad.

Tennessee State would be up there. Quite a few really bad losses in the last 7 or 8 years sadly.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 07:59 PM)
This program has sucked for 9 years now. Illinois is the king of letting coaches stay too long. Weber inherited a top 15 program and we haven't had a team at that level since Dee's senior year 10 years ago. Two terrible hires in a row and now you have a program that is a complete after thought in the college basketball world.

And I'd like to revisit the discussion from last year where someone posted that even in hindsight they wouldn't not hire Weber because of the 04-05 season. Given that we didn't win the title that year I would give up that season in a heartbeat (and that might be my favorite team in any sport ever) if it meant we could hire a real coach and didn't have to deal with the last 9 years of Weber/Groce. Hell, maybe a different coach wins the title with that team.

I'm totally on board with firing Groce now or at the end of the year. They have some talent on the roster. They have a decent PG locked in for next year. Let a new guy sell a vision that the program is turning around. Groce can't sell that message anymore.

It'll hurt when Finkes brother passes on Illinois for another program because Illinois continues to suck.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 09:01 PM)
Weber is a better coach than Groce, not that it matters.

Probably but he also did way more damage to the Illinois basketball program than Groce did (of course starting from very different places) but whoever takes over the job next year will have as good of a roster as what Weber left for Groce whereas the roster Weber took over was infinitely better than the one he left.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 09:03 PM)
I'm totally on board with firing Groce now or at the end of the year. They have some talent on the roster. They have a decent PG locked in for next year. Let a new guy sell a vision that the program is turning around. Groce can't sell that message anymore.

It'll hurt when Finkes brother passes on Illinois for another program because Illinois continues to suck.

If Groce isn't fired after this year or they retain Cubit (or even worse both) I am just done with following Illinois athletics because it will be obvious they just don't care. Zook was here two years too long, Weber at least two years too long, Beckman should have been canned after year one (but at least we kept him long enough for him to complete embarrass the university) and you can make a case that Groce should have been fired after last year but there will be zero excuse if he isn't fired after this year.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 08:13 PM)
If Groce isn't fired after this year or they retain Cubit (or even worse both) I am just done with following Illinois athletics because it will be obvious they just don't care. Zook was here two years too long, Weber at least two years too long, Beckman should have been canned after year one (but at least we kept him long enough for him to complete embarrass the university) and you can make a case that Groce should have been fired after last year but there will be zero excuse if he isn't fired after this year.

Well, they haven't cared in years. My guess it's a 50/50 chance they retain Cubit and an 80-90% chance Groce is the coach next year.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 09:17 PM)
I wouldn't be opposed to firing Groce mid season. Need to find a coach though to recruit that 17 class. The 17 class is stacked

The 2017 class is actually why I would have been fine with firing Groce after last year if they could have made a good hire. Now whoever you get is going to be way behind on recruiting those kids.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 09:24 PM)
Well, they haven't cared in years. My guess it's a 50/50 chance they retain cubit and an 80-90% chance Groce is the coach next year.

It really is sad. Thinking about that 04-05 team just makes me sad at this point because it is really hard to see Illinois having a team anywhere near that good any time soon. Things can turn around quickly in basketball if you hire the right guy but whereas when we were hiring Weber we were a top 15 program this program has now been irrelevant since Dee graduated 10 years ago.