NCAA basketball 2015-16 thread

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 02:07 PM)
Apparently, there was substantial friction between Hoiberg and his program, and the ISU Athletic department as a whole.

I have always appreciated that Iowa State doesn't bend as far as other significant DI programs on academics (though they still bend), but the nickel and diming for the department's biggest money-make seems awfully petty. Makes it less surprising Hoiberg left, though he may have anyway.

Also not encouraging for the program's continued success.

Football makes way more.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 02:49 PM)
I think there was a lot of fiction in the story. Hoiberg replied yesterday he had the utmost respect for the AD.

All the information was true, the opinions, not quite all true.

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 09:10 PM)
Football makes way more.

All the information was true, the opinions, not quite all true.

Football makes more money, really? I mean I know it does in college in general, but at a "basketball first" school I would think ISU might be an exception. Interesting.

Football makes more money, really? I mean I know it does in college in general, but at a "basketball first" school I would think ISU might be an exception. Interesting.

The power 5 conferences (and ND) have such massive football TV deals that even schools like Iowa St, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, etc, make far more from football than basketball.

Schools like Butler and Villanova probably make more from basketball than football.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 08:58 AM)
The power 5 conferences (and ND) have such massive football TV deals that even schools like Iowa St, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, etc, make far more from football than basketball.

Schools like Butler and Villanova probably make more from basketball than football.

Interesting. Shows what I know, haha. Also I didn't realize Butler and Nova even had football teams.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 08:58 AM)

I know Villanova doesn't have football. Does Butler?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)

There are schools that are forced to play D1 FCS that really shouldn't but they have to, to get the D1 basketball money.

Valparaiso, Butler, Drake, Dayton, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Kendrick Nunn to miss 8 weeks for surgery on his left thumb. At this point Groce should be fired simply because his luck is so bad. Thankfully it seems like the JCL injury isn't going to keep him out as long as people thought but right now at the start of the season you are looking at a rotation of something like:

PG Tate/Lewis

SG Jordan

SF Hill/Williams

PF Finke

C Thorne/Morgan

Yikes.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 10:38 AM)
Kendrick Nunn to miss 8 weeks for surgery on his left thumb. At this point Groce should be fired simply because his luck is so bad. Thankfully it seems like the JCL injury isn't going to keep him out as long as people thought but right now at the start of the season you are looking at a rotation of something like:

PG Tate/Lewis

SG Jordan

SF Hill/Williams

PF Finke

C Thorne/Morgan

Yikes.

First game lineup for me is:

PG Lewis/Tate

SG Austin/Jordan/JCL (limited minutes if at all)

SF Hill/Williams

PF Hill/Finke

C Thorne/Mav/Finke

Can we not have any more injuries for the next 4 years now please?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 10:38 AM)

PG Tate/Lewis

SG Jordan

SF Hill/Williams

PF Finke

C Thorne/Morgan

Yikes.

Yeah, it's really hard to speculate on the future of Illini coaches when their boss should really be fired first. I'm in the take it or leave it camp in terms of Groce. His trajectory is similar to Beilein's at Michigan, but again, if a new AD is hired, all bets are off.

Since we have several attorneys on the board, I thought you'd get a kick out of this one:

University of Louisville students and alumni are suing the woman who wrote the book detailing the basketball recruiting sex scandal, claiming that her book has devalued their degrees and damaged their opportunities to make money using those degrees.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sport...-book/74400594/

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 08:47 AM)
Since we have several attorneys on the board, I thought you'd get a kick out of this one:

University of Louisville students and alumni are suing the woman who wrote the book detailing the basketball recruiting sex scandal, claiming that her book has devalued their degrees and damaged their opportunities to make money using those degrees.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sport...-book/74400594/

If I were the publisher/author, I'd file a motion for sanctions (with no hope of winning of course). Talk about a frivolous lawsuit.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 7, 2015 -> 07:09 AM)
If I was confident SIU could hire someone better, I'd say no.

We're not going to hire anyone good but nobody can be worse than Hinson at this point...besides Chris Lowery.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 7, 2015 -> 04:27 PM)
We're not going to hire anyone good but nobody can be worse than Hinson at this point...besides Chris Lowery.

Why do you not like Hinson? Is he perceived as a clown? I know he inherited a tough roster to deal with.