NCAA basketball 2015-16 thread

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 11:26 PM)
It's funny how Bo Ryan and Steve Spurrier "retire " mid season while everybody else is a quitter.

No clue about Spurrier but Bo is stepping aside now to assure his long time assistant gets a crack at the job.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 08:14 AM)
The difference being that the players would get vilified for quitting on the program.

Well there certainly is a fringe minority who is complaining that he left. But let's review the actual facts. Bo Ryan said at the end of last year he was retiring. He wanted Greg Gard to take over (Gard has been his assistant for over 20 years and has turned down HC jobs to stay with Bo.) Barry Alvarez said that he had to do a search for the HC job pursuant to Wisconsin law and could not just give Gard the job (which is ironic since Barry gave Bielema the job without a search.) Gard's father was diagnosed with cancer and Bo felt that it would be detrimental to Gard's chances at a becoming the next HC so he agreed to postpone his retirement.

It sucks that he wants to retire, but that is his decision, same as if a player wants to retire. Its not like Bo is going to coach for another team, hes done.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:21 PM)
Well there certainly is a fringe minority who is complaining that he left. But let's review the actual facts. Bo Ryan said at the end of last year he was retiring. He wanted Greg Gard to take over (Gard has been his assistant for over 20 years and has turned down HC jobs to stay with Bo.) Barry Alvarez said that he had to do a search for the HC job pursuant to Wisconsin law and could not just give Gard the job (which is ironic since Barry gave Bielema the job without a search.) Gard's father was diagnosed with cancer and Bo felt that it would be detrimental to Gard's chances at a becoming the next HC so he agreed to postpone his retirement.

It sucks that he wants to retire, but that is his decision, same as if a player wants to retire. Its not like Bo is going to coach for another team, hes done.

There have been a few CBB writers that have called in to the Score that have said he did this so Gard would get it, and Alvarez isnt really too keen on giving it to Gard. He planned on retiring over the summer and letting Gard have it but Alvarez said he wanted to do a coaching search so Bo did this.

Dont know how true it is, just what I have heard

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 08:12 PM)
There have been a few CBB writers that have called in to the Score that have said he did this so Gard would get it, and Alvarez isnt really too keen on giving it to Gard. He planned on retiring over the summer and letting Gard have it but Alvarez said he wanted to do a coaching search so Bo did this.

That's pretty cool if Bo is doing that for a guy he thinks can do the job. Barry seems like he'd be a pretty tough AD to work for and maybe Bo really is sticking it to him. Just speculation here.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 02:12 PM)

I think most people agree that had Gard been guaranteed the job Bo would have retired after last season. Things got complicated when Barry said that he had to follow Wisconsin law and post the position. At the same time Gard's father was diagnosed with cancer, so Bo did not believe Gard would be able to put in the necessary time/effort to compete for the Wisconsin job.

So Bo basically got Gard a half season audition for the Wisconsin job. It also gives Gard a chance to get his name out there for other openings if he doesnt get the Wisconsin job. I ultimately think Bo feels that if Barry didnt pick Gard this summer, that Gard may have not had a job this year so he helped a guy who had been loyal to him for over 20 years.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 03:23 PM)
Why is it cool to f*** up the hiring process of your boss before you retire?

Alvarez could have fired Bo (HAHAHAHAAHAHA).

But in all seriousness Bo Ryan is Wisconsin basketball. One day the court may be named after him. Alvarez is screwed no matter what. He isnt going to hire another Bo Ryan, its just not possible. Not to mention I think that many Wisconsin fans trust Bo Ryan more than Alvarez when it comes to basketball.

In my opinion Bo Ryan made Wisconsin basketball. If he wants to pick Gard to be his successor, he earned that right. And if the program crashes and burns because of it, at least Wisconsin respected the best coach they ever had.

I think most Wisconsin fans are honest with themselves. The last 2 years are more than anyone could have dreamed and Wisconsin had their chances. It probably wont happen again, but that is why those wins meant so much and the losses hurt so bad.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 03:49 PM)
Alvarez could have fired Bo (HAHAHAHAAHAHA).

But in all seriousness Bo Ryan is Wisconsin basketball. One day the court may be named after him. Alvarez is screwed no matter what. He isnt going to hire another Bo Ryan, its just not possible. Not to mention I think that many Wisconsin fans trust Bo Ryan more than Alvarez when it comes to basketball.

In my opinion Bo Ryan made Wisconsin basketball. If he wants to pick Gard to be his successor, he earned that right. And if the program crashes and burns because of it, at least Wisconsin respected the best coach they ever had.

I think most Wisconsin fans are honest with themselves. The last 2 years are more than anyone could have dreamed and Wisconsin had their chances. It probably wont happen again, but that is why those wins meant so much and the losses hurt so bad.

I agree with this. Especially since he left the program at a good time. They might not be as good this year or next, but it's not like he had a good run and then sucked for 10 years straight before leaving.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)
Looks like a Ohio State freshman is transferring, not him.

Whoa Grandstaff, that's a pretty big loss.

Him and Elijah Thomas (Texas A&M) are transferring, wouldn't be surprised if it was to a place like Okie St.