NCAA basketball 2015-16 thread

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With respect to Groce, I think you just need to let the season play out. At this point, it seems unlikely that this team will do anything, but I think you need to get the new AD in place and allow him to make his own decision on the situation. It makes no sense to fire Groce now and completely punt on the season, no matter how hopeless it may seem.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 11:25 PM)
With respect to Groce, I think you just need to let the season play out. At this point, it seems unlikely that this team will do anything, but I think you need to get the new AD in place and allow him to make his own decision on the situation. It makes no sense to fire Groce now and completely punt on the season, no matter how hopeless it may seem.

This. I may be the ultimate glass half full guy when it comes to Illinois basketball, and I do think this team is going to get better when Nunn, Tate, and Black are all 100%.

I think if this team continues to be this bad, however, the new AD will have a decision to make. The current roster should be attractive to somebody coming in (assuming no attrition). And somebody with recruiting ties here in the Midwest might be able to save the '17 class. IF this year is bad when the dust settles, I'm on board with moving on...

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 09:36 AM)
This. I may be the ultimate glass half full guy when it comes to Illinois basketball, and I do think this team is going to get better when Nunn, Tate, and Black are all 100%.

I think if this team continues to be this bad, however, the new AD will have a decision to make. The current roster should be attractive to somebody coming in (assuming no attrition). And somebody with recruiting ties here in the Midwest might be able to save the '17 class. IF this year is bad when the dust settles, I'm on board with moving on...

We may be the only two optimists in the entire fan base. Honestly, I think this'll be a decent team once the freshmen learn how to play defense and we get Lewis and Austin off the court (they shouldn't be playing high major basketball). They'll probably dig themselves way too big of a hole over the next month or so to reach the tournament, but I don't think they'll be a team that you can overlook later in the season.

So does Roy Williams not understand that you have to be able to shoot 3s in modern basketball to win a championship? I know they are without Paige but the lack of 3 pt shooting has been a killer for them the last few years and they still have no shooting.

They don't go to class at UNC, so they missed the day they taught 3 > 2.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 27, 2015 -> 09:43 PM)
Illinois actually looking like a solid team for the first time this year. Having very one back is helping a ton.

I thought this was a good matchup for Illinois because UAB can't shoot 3s (averages 4 per game) and that has been the biggest problem this year. Still a bit worried, but I agree that having even limited minutes from Black, Nunn, and Tate has helped a ton.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2015 -> 10:56 PM)
Lol. We took Memphis to OT. This team is weird as f***

Memphis isn't good.

And this is the first time this year Illinois has looked like a real basketball team. Going forward I'd like to see Austin never see the floor and I wouldn't use Lewis either but no complaints tonight. Tate is bad but I'm fine with him giving him some minutes because he at least sort of knows how to run an offense. With Nunn back though there is just no reason to play Lewis and you can just play Hill and Nunn with one of the freshmen shooting guards.