Eddy Julio Martinez

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 31, 2015 -> 01:49 AM)
I think that if there White Sox are ever going to go all in on the international market this is the year to do it. I like the players that I they have been attached to so far, especially Franklin Reyes, who's power tool is a legit 70 right now but they should go all in on Martinez. I trust MLB's evaluations and they have all five of his tools at 60+. Martinez could be a huge addition to the future of the organization and would give the team a nice building block going forward. I remember watching the Braves play everyday on TBS growing up and seeing Andruw Jones make at least two defining plays that would help the Braves win. This has to be the team's top priority in the international market. The Jorge Soler and Yoan Moncada deals would serve as good references for the team,

Alvarez is my favorite player on the market and I would love for the Sox to sign him but his fate might already be sealed as he has been connected to the Dodgers for a few months now but I hope Rich Hahn and Marco Paddy do their best to pry him away.

I am writing something about the White Sox, July 2nd plans and since more info has come out about Martinez, I will write a quick blurb about him.

i agree, there are some interesting names and bloodline players avail.

can't wait for your blurb.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ May 31, 2015 -> 01:21 PM)
Would be shocked if sox went over amount. JR does not seem to like exploiting rules like that.

There would be no point in sniffing around the kid if they weren't at least thinking about it. He will sign for a multiple of the entire international draft allotment all by himself.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 31, 2015 -> 11:19 PM)
There would be no point in sniffing around the kid if they weren't at least thinking about it. He will sign for a multiple of the entire international draft allotment all by himself.

my take is this system needs a big influx of prospects to help the many yrs of lousy scouting and drafting. it doesn't matter who is to blame, just get it done and bring in the players.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 09:14 AM)
Unfortunately, Cubs are favorites to land him

I'd take that with a grain of salt. If I were you, 17 teams are in the mix and that includes the Angels and Yankees who can't sign anyone over 300K. So let's just keep your fingers crossed.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 02:39 PM)
I'd take that with a grain of salt. If I were you, 17 teams are in the mix and that includes the Angels and Yankees who can't sign anyone over 300K. So let's just keep your fingers crossed.

Not to mention the Angels and Yankees are in desperate need for young blood offensively...and the Yankees also lost out in the Moncada sweepstakes, that didn't sit well with many.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 06:26 PM)
Not to mention the Angels and Yankees are in desperate need for young blood offensively...and the Yankees also lost out in the Moncada sweepstakes, that didn't sit well with many.

I think that he signs after July 2nd, that would leave out the Yankees and Angels.

Christopher Crawford's chat on baseballprospectus had this q&a:

Festivus313 (Phoenix): Where would Eddy Julio Martinez, Yadier Alcarez, Norge Ruiz and Lucius Fix rank for you in this draft if eligible?

Christopher Crawford: Martinez would be at 1, Fox would be in the top 10, I don't have enough on the other two to give a concrete answer. Sorry.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 7, 2015 -> 06:26 PM)

I believe he would have to sign by June 15, or wait until July 2. Time is running out for the Angels and Yankees.

After getting Fulmer and not having another pick until the fourth round, I think the Sox have to make a big run at this guy. We save a good chunk of money on the Draft this year from the lack of high picks and are completely bereft of minor league offensive talent. I am not sure there is one guy in the minors that you can comfortably say will be a major leaguer.

Martinez would not solve that massive issue, but he would be the only high-end offensive talent in the system that desperately needs one.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 07:30 AM)
After getting Fulmer and not having another pick until the fourth round, I think the Sox have to make a big run at this guy. We save a good chunk of money on the Draft this year from the lack of high picks and are completely bereft of minor league offensive talent. I am not sure there is one guy in the minors that you can comfortably say will be a major leaguer.

Martinez would not solve that massive issue, but he would be the only high-end offensive talent in the system that desperately needs one.

This is a good point, but depends if leadership views this as savings when the reality is they spent much more by signing expensive major league talent.

I really hope we land them, you all are right that there is really way too much smoke if we just expected to offer the allotted amount.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 07:30 AM)

If you get Martinez, you really need to sign 3 or four of the guys to make it worth while. Add a guy like Randy Arozarena who BA says has a similar profile to Ian Happ. Add in a guy like Andy Ibanez and another SP like Vladimir Gutierrez and it is basically like adding four first round draft picks to the class. It will cost some of the higher end 16 years olds the next couple seasons, but you still get your entire pool to use, you just have to break it down into smaller chunks.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 12:20 PM)
If you get Martinez, you really need to sign 3 or four of the guys to make it worth while. Add a guy like Randy Arozarena who BA says has a similar profile to Ian Happ. Add in a guy like Andy Ibanez and another SP like Vladimir Gutierrez and it is basically like adding four first round draft picks to the class. It will cost some of the higher end 16 years olds the next couple seasons, but you still get your entire pool to use, you just have to break it down into smaller chunks.

I think Tim Anderson is a pretty high end offensive talent. The only one, but high-end nonetheless. Guy can hit.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 02:51 PM)
This guy's stock is soaring. Saw a recent comp of Andruw Jones for him. Would love for the Sox to get him.

Badler from BA is not much of a fan. Has him as the ninth best currently available Cuban. Though he also says that he is the only prospect on the list he has not seen in person.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...yers-available/

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 03:04 PM)
Badler from BA is not much of a fan. Has him as the ninth best currently available Cuban. Though he also says that he is the only prospect on the list he has not seen in person.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...yers-available/

I saw another writer that said if he was in this draft, he would be the #1 pick.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)

They are attached to four of the top 30 July 2nd prospects, they're all 15/16.

Usually a team signs like 7 players, at least a cycle

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 08:17 PM)
They are attached to four of the top 30 July 2nd prospects, they're all 15/16.

Usually a team signs like 7 players, at least a cycle

Yes, but July 2nd guys are a crapshoot. Many of the guys that will get the largest bonuses will never advance beyond AA and an equal share of guys that sign for less than $250K will make the majors, there is just way to many variables in signing 15 and 16 year olds. Whereas the Cuban guys have quite a bit less volatility as they have performed for another 3-5 more seasons. They are the equivalent of the talent that is available in the draft, and while there is still a bust rate it is less so than that in the July 2 market. I would sacrifice signing some of those top guys in 2016 and 2017 if we can get the equivalent of 3 additional first round draft picks from Cuba in this class.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 02:48 PM)
I think Tim Anderson is a pretty high end offensive talent. The only one, but high-end nonetheless. Guy can hit.

Agree, and I think Trey can be as well. To be fair, the Sox have not invested a lot of early draft picks hitters.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 10:05 AM)
Yes, but July 2nd guys are a crapshoot. Many of the guys that will get the largest bonuses will never advance beyond AA and an equal share of guys that sign for less than $250K will make the majors, there is just way to many variables in signing 15 and 16 year olds. Whereas the Cuban guys have quite a bit less volatility as they have performed for another 3-5 more seasons. They are the equivalent of the talent that is available in the draft, and while there is still a bust rate it is less so than that in the July 2 market. I would sacrifice signing some of those top guys in 2016 and 2017 if we can get the equivalent of 3 additional first round draft picks from Cuba in this class.

While that's a sound philosophy, lets agree to disagree

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)

i am in total agreement. the inherent risk of the young players being a bust, let alone many young players overall is greater than say several cuban players. the sox still needs those bodies in the system, to add depth and who knows, a certified prospect or 2 will develop and be taken into consideration. the theory of probability is in play here.

i feel as the cubans coming out, has already been filtered.