So How Does Hahn Fix This Mess?

Dunt

I don't really have any expectations for the rest of this season, so how does Hahn make this team a playoff contender next year? The pitching staff looks as good as advertised, but there are just no difference makers on offense. Free agency looks incredibly weak at C and 3B...how does Hahn make this better?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You fix the mess by having a farm system that produces Major League Baseball players. Until we have that, get used to suckiness to mediocrity. Unless you can go out and give $100 million contracts to the best free agents, the building of a consistently contending team must be done through the farm system.

I guess my answer is simple: Fire Buddy Bell and clean house in the rest of the player development side at least the "hitting" people.

Wieters would be nice, but there is 0.0% chance Jerry opens up his purse for him. I wouldn't mind them going after Wieters and Howie Kendrick. I don't think there's any chance of signing Samardzija if they do that too.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 30, 2015 -> 05:40 PM)
You fix the mess by having a farm system that produces Major League Baseball players. Until we have that, get used to suckiness to mediocrity. Unless you can go out and give $100 million contracts to the best free agents, the building of a consistently contending team must be done through the farm system.

I guess my answer is simple: Fire Buddy Bell and clean house in the rest of the player development side at least the "hitting" people.

They appear to have no interest in firing Bell

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 30, 2015 -> 10:40 PM)

This is the truth. Wieters is not going to make this team a contender. This team doesn't need more free agents. It needs minor league instructors capable of developing players the right way. Until that happens, the Sox will NEVER be a consistent contender.

Philosophically:

Bring in young talent.

Develop young talent

Stop bringing in hitters on their downward cycle.

Stop wasting scarce resources on utility level talent.

Practically:

Market Laroche, Samardzija and Alexei for good young hitters, who can also play D, regardless of position.

Anyone in the bullpen is movable. The most likely is Duke.

Move Danks to the pen

Send Rodon to Charlotte to work on the changeup

Bring up Junior Guerra.

Watch Drabek and maybe bring him up if he can get his walks down.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 30, 2015 -> 05:40 PM)

This is why trading for prospects is a dead end unless they are ready to play. How bad would Avi be if he spent more time in the farm system. I guess they don't want Rodon there either.

who was the last hitter the sox actually drafted, groomed, and brought up that actually had sustained success at the major league level and hit over .290 for a prolonged period of time?

farm system is an epic failure

the first area in need of fixing is admitting they're failures at their jobs

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 30, 2015 -> 05:05 PM)
I don't really have any expectations for the rest of this season, so how does Hahn make this team a playoff contender next year? The pitching staff looks as good as advertised, but there are just no difference makers on offense. Free agency looks incredibly weak at C and 3B...how does Hahn make this better?

Avoid signing career NL players. My defense of LaRoche is he has to adjust to a new league of pitchers.

is this really a thread that will make any difference, esp with the current ownership?? we as fans always needs to see the sunny side of everything.

for starters. if there is such a thing, hire a independent expert who can really audit this team from the FO on down. really get a real perspective of this org and how it is running.

while that is taking place, trade for assets that can fill holes that will not be available in FA's rt. sacrifice this season to continue to rebuild

all those hitters who are hitting below 250, this team needs to figure out why? why?? why??? why!!!

someone philosophy in the sox org is not working, can it be change?? will it be change???

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 30, 2015 -> 07:04 PM)
Avoid signing career NL players. My defense of LaRoche is he has to adjust to a new league of pitchers.

Adam LaRoche is literally doing fine. 5 HR, .800 OPS against righties, and trending up. That's what he's here to do.

If the Sox are out of it and are looking to sell, some teams that I think would be good trade partners for the Sox would be the Astros and the Blue Jays, who both want starting pitching.

Blue Jays get Shark and cash, White Sox get Roberto Osuna and Aaron Sanchez (TBJ front office might see him as a reliever long term).

Astros get Shark/White Sox get McCullers, INTL bonus slots and a comp pick.

And if I am Rick Hahn I am watching the Marlins very closely, there rumblings about a fire sale coming in the not too distant future.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 30, 2015 -> 08:02 PM)
If the Sox are out of it and are looking to sell, some teams that I think would be good trade partners for the Sox would be the Astros and the Blue Jays, who both want starting pitching.

Blue Jays get Shark and cash, White Sox get Roberto Osuna and Aaron Sanchez (TBJ front office might see him as a reliever long term).

Astros get Shark/White Sox get McCullers, INTL bonus slots and a comp pick.

And if I am Rick Hahn I am watching the Marlins very closely, there rumblings about a fire sale coming in the not too distant future.

Would you do those deals if you were the Blue Jays or the Astros

QUOTE (LDF @ May 30, 2015 -> 10:36 PM)
last week, somewhere in the rumors page was listed as Hou looking at Shark.

No, someone suggested that because one of their pitchers is out for the next 6 weeks. It doesn't make sense unless the White Sox lose like their next 10 games and fall back to the worst record in baseball. That pitcher will be back before the trade deadline and the White Sox aren't in a hurry to throw in the towel yet.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 31, 2015 -> 02:43 AM)
No, someone suggested that because one of their pitchers is out for the next 6 weeks. It doesn't make sense unless the White Sox lose like their next 10 games and fall back to the worst record in baseball. That pitcher will be back before the trade deadline and the White Sox aren't in a hurry to throw in the towel yet.

and you are right, it all depends on if, they do not improve.

btw, i mention something like this in my org post in this thread. either way, i am not for giving up.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ May 30, 2015 -> 09:08 PM)

If I'm the Blue Jays and Alex Anthopoulos, yes because a starting pitcher of Shark's caliber could make my team the favorite to win the division. Plus the farm in Toronto is really deep, especially on arms.

If I'm the Astros, I would stand pat but I've read in a few places that they're looking to add pitching.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ May 31, 2015 -> 02:08 AM)

coming back to this one, if i was hou and Shark was avail, hell yeah, b/c the west is theirs to loose it. add Shark to that pitching group and add how their offense is doing. lastly how the other teams are performing. i think they will do it.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 30, 2015 -> 10:55 PM)
Practically:

Market Laroche, Samardzija and Alexei for good young hitters, who can also play D, regardless of position.

Anyone in the bullpen is movable. The most likely is Duke.

Yes. Yes. Yes. The way Hahn fixes "this mess" as you put it, it to simply concoct a "do-over." Once again, assume you have good pitching in Sale, Rodon and Quintana so don't trade them. Do trade everybody you acquired last offseason and see if you can make the right moves this time. I disagree with those who say Shark won't bring a ton. I think we need to be the first team to make a blockbuster. Get Shark dealt SOON and bring in the haul! Trade Robertson soon and bring in the haul! These are ELITE players who are all-stars and can bring us the bacon baby!

LaRoche can be moved, folks. So can Melky. So can Alexei. So can Duke. Kottaris should catch the rest of the season with Flowers. Release Soto. I do believe he can re-do the roster and should re-do it keeping the Big Three starting pitchers.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ May 30, 2015 -> 11:01 PM)
Assuming the White Sox are out of it by the trading deadline, they trade Shark for either a good young third baseman or young catcher. Duke might bring us a decent player also.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Edited by greg775