2015 MLB Draft Thread - Discussion - DAY THREE

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 09:21 AM)
Teddy Cahill ‏@tedcahill 15h15 hours ago

Fourteen top-100 players on the #BA500 are still avaliable going into Day 3 of the #mlbdraft, led by Donny Everett: http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft-previ...tatus=Undrafted

STILL AVAILABLE

21. Donny Everett, rhp, Clarksville (Tenn.) HS

39. Justin Hooper, lhp, De La Salle HS, Concord, Calif.

53. Kyle Molnar, rhp, Aliso Niguel HS, Aliso Viejo, Calif.

58. Luken Baker, 1b/rhp, Oak Ridge HS, Conroe, Texas

63. Tristan Beck, rhp, Corona (Calif.) HS

64. Alonzo Jones, mif/of, Columbus (Ga.) HS

77. Wesley Rodriguez, rhp, George Washington HS, Washington Heights, N.Y.

78. Chandler Day, rhp, Watkins Memorial HS, Pataskala, Ohio

79. Cole Sands, rhp, North Florida Christian HS, Tallahassee, Fla.

81. Parker McFadden, rhp, Yelm (Wash.) HS

82. Jonathan India, ss, American Heritage School, Delray Beach, Fla.

91. Joe DeMers, rhp, College Park HS, Pleasant Hill, Calif.

96. Cole McKay, rhp, Smithson Valley HS, Spring Branch, Texas

99. Jackson Kowar, rhp, Charlotte Christian HS, Weddington, N.C.

110. Garrett Zech, of, Naples (Fla.) HS

Seniors primer

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/colle...ittle-leverage/

Tanner Rainey, rhp, West Alabama

A transfer who didn’t play much at Southeast Louisiana, Rainey could move quickly thanks to a mid-90s fastball and above-average slider but he also has a chance to start.

Austin Byler, 1b, Nevada

Byler returned to Nevada after being drafted in the ninth round last year by the Nationals. He is a three-true-outcomes player—home runs, walks and plenty of strikeouts.

Josh Tobias, 3b, Florida

Tobias returned to switch-hitting this year. Coincidentally, he has taken a big step forward offensively with increased power.

Logan Ratledge, 2b/ss, N.C. State

Trea Turner’s former double-play partner has shown he can play shortstop this spring to go with a solid bat and grinder mentality.

Kade Scivicque, c, Louisiana State

Catcher is a little stiff behind the plate, but very productive when he steps into the batter’s box.

Sam Koeing, of, Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Has always hit when healthy, but has a long list of maladies that slowed him until this year.

Garrett Stubbs, c, Southern California

Just 5-foot-10, 180 pounds, Stubbs plays with energy, runs well and receives adequately.

Benton Moss, rhp, North Carolina

Strong-armed righthander with plenty of fastball (low 90s) and a quality breaking ball.

Cameron Palmer, rhp, Toledo

A redshirt senior whose first senior season was wiped out by a leg injury, Palmer has returned this year to bump 94 mph and strike out more than a batter per inning.

Preston Morrison, rhp, Texas Christian

Lack of a plus fastball keeps him from going too high, but lengthy track record of SEC success warrants a pro look.

Throwing some names out there, ignoring most of the top hs talent that I doubt we can sign:

1. Austin Byler, 3B, Nevada- phenomenal numbers at Nevada for all 4 years he was there. Senior so not much negotiating power. Surprised he isn't off the board. 9th round pick last year, but was projected to go in the 2nd/3rd so he didn't sign. Still will probably cost him money. Either way he'd be a legit prospect with the bat, somewhat rare for a later round college pick.

2. Elih Marrero, C, HS- Eli's kid. Doubt he needs the money and has a lot of negotiating power then. But seems more polished than most HS catchers and you have to like his chances being brought up by his dad.

3. Michael Boyle, P, Radford: great year at radford. 92 mph fastball with a slider and change. Unusual mechanics probably drop his stock a bit and make him a strong candidate to be drafted by the Sox.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 10:05 AM)
If those seniors wouldn't sign for $10,000 then there was no reason to take them in top 10 picks. They may go off the board early today.

Exactly. Now they can be offered up to 100K penalty free. I would expect a run on them in round 11.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 10:09 AM)
Exactly. Now they can be offered up to 100K penalty free. I would expect a run on them in round 11.

Austin Byler is a guy I like. Especially at this point. Probably a 1B but big power, walks, and K's.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 10:38 AM)
The Sox will definitely be drafting a high-upside prep player today, the question is who will it be?

Edit: My choice is Fitz Stadler, 6'8" local kid with a lot of potential as a starter.

I went to the same high school as Stadler and have a brother who's a student there and a brother who's a teacher and football coach there. Just texted them to ask about Stadler, and here's what they say:

"No. Too mentally weak. Just got beat up in his last high school start too."

"He is 6'8" and has a straight fastball that reaches about 88. He is soft with no offspeed pitches. One of the best players on North just scoffed at that text because Fitz isn't very good."

I haven't seen him pitch so I don't know, but what do you see in him?

Without a #2 and #3 pick, this draft feels anticlimactic.

Fulmer and a few others will be good additions to FutureSox, but it feels to me like the draft after Fulmer is just filling minor league roster space.

Should I feel differently?

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 09:11 AM)
I went to the same high school as Stadler and have a brother who's a student there and a brother who's a teacher and football coach there. Just texted them to ask about Stadler, and here's what they say:

"No. Too mentally weak. Just got beat up in his last high school start too."

"He is 6'8" and has a straight fastball that reaches about 88. He is soft with no offspeed pitches. One of the best players on North just scoffed at that text because Fitz isn't very good."

I haven't seen him pitch so I don't know, but what do you see in him?

Wow, that's a pretty deep scouting report, thanks for all the inside info. Honestly I see his size and always think of projectability, add in the fact that he's a local kid I would imagine the Sox scouting staff could get a really good look at him as well. His commitment to ASU also suggested that the potential is there but it sounds like he needs to go to college to get more mentally mature and work on his stuff.