AL standings since May 1

Greg Hibbard

I dunno. I guess this is why I refuse to give up on this season. Both Tex and Min stunk out of the gate, then feasted on relatively good schedules.

Now we see Min falling precipitously back to earth.

I just can't believe Tex is all that good, personally - I think they're just hot right now.

NYY 19-17

TB 19-18

BOS 15-22

TOR 20-17

BAL 18-19

KC 18-16

DET 16-20

MIN 21-14 (second best in AL)

SOX 20-18

CLE 20-17

LAA 18-18

HOU 18-20

SEA 17-20

TEX 24-13 (best in AL)

OAK 14-23 (worst in AL)

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 02:51 PM)
Fielder, Choo, Moreland, Gallo, DeShields, Hamilton, Tolleson, Gonzalez, and Gallardo have all been hot over the last 30 days.

Is that allowed? i thought an entire team of hitters was only allowed to struggle at once.

I know we need to make up 6.5 games on 3 different teams, but with good SP and enough hitting, we'll be right there, 3-4-5 games out, at most, in August, with the way this AL looks. This has been my hunch all season. I'd rather be relying on Sale, Shark, Q and Robertson than a team sporting a lineup clogged with hitters needing to stay hot with suspect pitching.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 03:23 PM)
The thing is, even if only Abreu gets hot, we're going to start winning a bunch more games.

If Abreu gets hot, the entire line up will get better as a lot of other guys will have some pressure taken off of them, and will see a lot more pitches to hit.

The parity is remarkable. And our position players have combined for a negative WAR this season and we're 28-30. I haven't been around to read the mood of the board much, but we should all be positively ecstatic that the Sox are where they are given how poorly so many guys have performed.

We may be behind a bunch of teams but everyone has basically been staying around .500, so if you go on a 7-3 run or so suddenly you'll be right on the cusp. There's not really any "easy" wins in the AL, but there's not really any great teams either.

QUOTE (SnB @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 03:58 PM)
One good month will put the sox right back in it. Extend this 3 game winning streak to 5 and don't immediately give it right back next week.

One good month will put them in first place by a long shot. They are already "in it" at 3 games out of the 2nd wild card slot.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 03:13 PM)
One good month will put them in first place by a long shot. They are already "in it" at 3 games out of the 2nd wild card slot.

Depends on your definition of a "good" month.

The Royals have the Brewers, Red Sox, Mariners and A's coming up and already went through a 2-9 stretch in late May/early June.

You can't assume the Twins, Tigers (especially if Verlander is 100% healthy when he returns) and Indians are all going to play poorly, the White Sox are going to go on something like a 21-8 run...the last time the White Sox had a good winning streak, they gave it all right back. You also have to take into consideration they can't push Rodon too much and the fact that we've been pretty abysmal in key match-ups with AL Central opponents.

Maybe playing more games outside of the division will help, but we've still got to actually beat the teams ahead of us and not split season series from here on out because of how far we are below .500 cumulatively within the division.

Sure, it's possible....Rodon has to keep it up and Samardzija needs to pitch like he's capable of...well, who knows?

But to argue "first place by a long shot," not seeing it. In position as one of the two wild card teams, sure.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)

Yup. Still close to 2/3 of the season left to play. 3 games is nothing right now.

The real Chris Sale is back. Rodon has arrived. Q has looked good the past month. Bullpen has been fantastic......If they can get any sort of offense the team still has a chance to be a playoff squad.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 03:33 PM)
If Abreu gets hot, the entire line up will get better as a lot of other guys will have some pressure taken off of them, and will see a lot more pitches to hit.

Abreu is showing signs of getting hot and I feel like he's about to go on a tear.

If he does and the rotation can keep doing it's thing, then the Sox could be in first before long.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 04:33 PM)

I hope you are right but Abreu was hot most of last year and it didn't help a lot of other guys