6/25 at Detroit Tigers

flavum

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
David Price, a guy Rodon has been compared to more than once, had a 4.42 ERA his rookie year. He started cutting back on the walks, and became a star his second season.

Rodon will figure a way to cut the walks. When he does, as long as he doesn't get hurt, he will be in the Cy Young conversation.

And how many different pitches can Price throw for strikes?

Carlos needs to be able to throw that change-up with command at least 7.5-12.5% of the time to be an elite starter.

Petricka up in the bullpen.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 06:59 PM)
I know that but he is not even close with a lot of pitches, not like he is just off the plate.

Fastball command is the biggest area for improvement for Rodon. His slider is already well above average.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 07:03 PM)
It is waste of time to be stressing about Rodon at this point. He could be pitching in double A, and putting up numbers there. The kid is already in the show, and is still holding his own.

Him, Sale and Robertson are probably the only 3 players on this team I'm not concerned about.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 02:00 PM)
David Price, a guy Rodon has been compared to more than once, had a 4.42 ERA his rookie year. He started cutting back on the walks, and became a star his second season.

Rodon will figure a way to cut the walks. When he does, as long as he doesn't get hurt, he will be in the Cy Young conversation.

I like the Price comparison for Rodon.

Price's first full season was when he was 23, so Rodon already has the edge over Price since Rodon is only 22 now.

I don't see any reason why Rodon couldn't become like Price. Rodon might become even better than Price.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 02:03 PM)

Carlos needs to be able to throw that change-up with command at least 7.5-12.5% of the time to be an elite starter.

He isnt comparing Carlos to Price of right now, he is comparing him to Price in his rookie year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 02:04 PM)
Him, Sale and Robertson are probably the only 3 players on this team I'm not concerned about.

I'd put Abreu in there as well.

People have to remember Rodon is 22 years old, and still learning. He is nowhere near where he is going to be if he stays healthy.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 02:03 PM)
Fastball command is the biggest area for improvement for Rodon. His slider is already well above average.

I think Rodon has done fine, I just would love to see the walks come down.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 02:03 PM)

This will come with time and experience IMO. There's no reason why Rodon can't develop his change-up.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 02:07 PM)
Thing is, if he had good command, he would have been no doubt the #1 pick.

Ask those teams about a redraft Sox would never get Rodon . He should of went 1 last year.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
Ask those teams about a redraft Sox would never get Rodon . He should of went 1 last year.

He should have, but Houston was going to sign Aiken significantly under slot. They may have gotten Rodon under slot slightly but probably not as much. I think they were going with the spread it around mentality, and it did cost them. I don't know what the Marlins were thinking. I would think if everything broke correctly Kolek would be a right handed Rodon in a few years. Maybe Boras scared them as well. Whatever it was, it was a huge break for the White Sox.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 03:12 PM)
He should have, but Houston was going to sign Aiken significantly under slot. They may have gotten Rodon under slot slightly but probably not as much. I think they were going with the spread it around mentality, and it did cost them. I don't know what the Marlins were thinking. I would think if everything broke correctly Kolek would be a right handed Rodon in a few years. Maybe Boras scared them as well. Whatever it was, it was a huge break for the White Sox.

"102 is fast!"

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 02:12 PM)

maybe my memory is foggy, but I believe the significant underslot to Aiken offer only came once they realize his medicals were f***ed up. It wasnt their plan at the time of the draft.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 02:09 PM)
He should've been the #1 pick anyway. The Astros and Marlins were stupid to pass on him.

The Astros were thinking that Aiken + Nix + Mac > Rodon. I don't know that they believed that Rodon > Aiken. The Marlins? Who knows.