2015-16 NHL thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)
Dion Phanuef to the Senators in a massive 9 player trade.

Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno 7m7 minutes ago

#Sens get Phaneuf, Bailey, Rupert, Frattin and Donaghey from #Leafs for Cowen, Greening, Michalek, Lindberg and 2017 2nd. No salary retained

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 09:49 PM)
No, but he could have found a few defensemen and goalies. Sometimes those are important

Also, two months ago you said he was the best. Now, he's top 5. By April he will be top 10.

But Nill started with nothing. Jamie Benn. That's it. Bowman was hired to a Stanley Cup team with Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Hossa. All Tallon guys.

No one has done more to improve their franchise than Jim Nill. You don't just acquire a scoring talent like Tyler Seguin.

And even then, a lot of Cowboys games are swarming with opposing teams' fans

It's $60 to park at a Cowboys game. They price out their own fans. The Cowboys are the biggest, most popular, and most valuable franchise in football, and yet they have shown time and time again they don't need the pedestrian fan to attend their games. As a Cowboys fan, that completely sucks.

That being said, I went to a college game at AT&T Stadium, once. I highly recommend seeing it if you're ever there. It's more amazing than I could have imagined.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 09:16 PM)
No one is debating that. I was correcting your mistake that Keith and Seabrook were Tallon guys. That isn't true.

It should also be noted Bowman joined the Hawks in 2001 and was special assistant to the GM. In 2005, he started as Director of Hockey Operations, then assistant GM.

And likewise Jim Nill was Ken Holland's right hand man for four cups.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 08:15 AM)
He should be upset about it, but the fact is you don't win many NHL games scoring only one goal...

I think it's all a set up for the playoffs, so the Hawks don't get screwed over when every goal matters on a much bigger stage.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 08:54 AM)
I think it's all a set up for the playoffs, so the Hawks don't get screwed over when every goal matters on a much bigger stage.

I don't doubt at all that he is that pissed about losing two points. Seeding is really important, though not vital. When you have the United Center home advantage, you want it as much as possible.

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 10:38 PM)
With a bow?????? :P

I don't like including Shaw. Ladd is a better player, no question. But I think hockey is different than almost any other sport where consistency, comfort level and locker room dynamic is important. A lot of core has been flipped and flopped the last few years, I'd like to add to it, not subtract if possible.

If Shaw is the only way to get it done, I'd be hard pressed to say no, but I'd like keep Shaw around.

I think Shaw leaves after this year anyway, as would Ladd. They will have to pay Panarin and Bowman has already said that's a big priority. Shaw probably gets $4m/year on the open market and the Hawks won't be paying him that. If Winnipeg wants Shaw and a 1st, do it.

I'd much rather package him, however, for a defenseman.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 10:18 AM)
You should tweet that to him and see what he says. Zawaski is pretty good about hockey discussion and will admit when he is wrong and correct himself

Oh yeah I know. That is his fixed column that I tweeted. They dropped one originally that had the cap numbers wrong. He fixed it and rewrote the article.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 07:23 PM)
I think Shaw leaves after this year anyway, as would Ladd. They will have to pay Panarin and Bowman has already said that's a big priority. Shaw probably gets $4m/year on the open market and the Hawks won't be paying him that. If Winnipeg wants Shaw and a 1st, do it.

I'd much rather package him, however, for a defenseman.

i wouldn't trade him if it is possible. however concerning on acquiring missing pieces to make this team better for the playoff, fine. if not, keep him, let him play. i think he is valuable as a role player going into the playoff.

getting into position to win another SC is the main goal.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
Not to start this up again, but for the record, Dale Tallon signed Marian Hossa.

He signed him because of McDonough. He wanted to keep Havlat because of his loyalty towards his guys. Hawks brass (mostly the Bowmans) wanted Hossa.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 09:11 AM)
Hawks to host the 2017 NHL Draft. Nothing more exciting than the host having a pick in the late 20s!

Makes a ton of sense. Putting the Draft in Chicago will make the state of the NHL in the United States look much healthier than it actually is.