2015-16 NHL thread

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 05:28 AM)
and that is a great point, but it is against Tor....

just like anything, fans, esp me, will never be satisfied. but i guess that comes with being a fan and wanting the best all the time. unrealistic, yeah, but it is what it is.

btw, as much as there has been a lot of chatter of players, org wanting to move, i still maintain, no - one will be willing to really help the hawks. bowman is really going to have his hands full.

peace.

The single game yesterday against Toronto had literally nothing to do with Tony's post

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 10:29 PM)
ESPN just posted this. It's old and I've heard it before, but it never stops being amazing:

If you take away Gretzky's 894 goals (a record), he is STILL the All-Time leading points scorer in the NHL at 1963.

Wait. He has more assists than any other player in history has points?

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 10:29 PM)
ESPN just posted this. It's old and I've heard it before, but it never stops being amazing:

If you take away Gretzky's 894 goals (a record), he is STILL the All-Time leading points scorer in the NHL at 1963.

The only other player I can think of that dominated an era like Wayne is Babe Ruth in the 20's.

Career leaders point per game:

1. Wayne Gretzky* 1.921

2. Mario Lemieux* 1.883

3. Mike Bossy* 1.497

4. Bobby Orr* 1.393

5. Sidney Crosby 1.330

Mario didn't have the longevity that Gretzky did, but he was nearly just as good in his prime. The gap between them two and everybody else is pretty significant though. Surprised to see Crosby 5th on that list.

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 09:02 PM)
I know he isn't playing, but I wonder if they aren't working on a bigger deal for Drouin,

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 09:10 PM)
If they could get him without giving up Teravainen, that would be outstanding.

Do you guys think Drouin would be a good fit with the Hawks? He already has an attitude problem and not much of a defender. I'd have a feeling he'd get in Q's doghouse real quick.

Don't get me wrong, huge talent, but is the attitude there, and is he a good fit for the Hawks.

What you guys think?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 08:57 PM)
Damn, they just announced yesterday Stamkos was off the market. That could have been some fun with the salary cap!

PSA for everyone: NHL Center Ice free preview this week. Nothing beats the broadcasts from Canada, if only for the commercials

Stamkos makes too much money to even make sense here. You'd pretty much need an LTIR break from a Toews, Kane, or Keith to even make it possible.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)
Stamkos makes too much money to even make sense here. You'd pretty much need an LTIR break from a Toews, Kane, or Keith to even make it possible.

Well that's why Bowman makes the big bucks, make it happen Stan!

Yeah, I know it's not really possible, it was just funny timing with Scotty being in Tampa right before that announcement.

Wideman suspension upheld at 20 games.

He sent this text message to a teammate....

Frank SeravalliVerified account

‏@frank_seravalli

Wideman sent text msg to teammate on Feb. 2: "(t)he only problem and the only reason I'm here is cause the stupid refs and stupid media."

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 11m11 minutes ago

How did the NHL get Wideman's text messages? Subpoena. I didn't know they had that power, but evidently they do.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 04:46 PM)
Wideman suspension upheld at 20 games.

He sent this text message to a teammate....

Frank SeravalliVerified account

‏@frank_seravalli

Wideman sent text msg to teammate on Feb. 2: "(t)he only problem and the only reason I'm here is cause the stupid refs and stupid media."

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 11m11 minutes ago

How did the NHL get Wideman's text messages? Subpoena. I didn't know they had that power, but evidently they do.

I wonder if they used that subpoena power in the Varlamov/Voynov/Kane cases as well.

Bob McKenzie was just on NBCSN and said that Bowman will have a package prepared to offer Carolina for Eric Staal as soon as the Canes are officially out of the race. Sounds fun, but Staal isn't a great player anymore so I hope it's not Teravainen going back. I'd trade Shaw and a 1st though, especially since Hartman is Shaw II

Edited by soxfan49

Anybody here watch Law and Order SVU every Wednesday?

They previewed next week's episode, and while I'm not 100% sure, it seems like it might be based off of Kane's summer. Of course they use "TV celeb" instead of "hockey player" but just by the 30 second preview it seemed that way. I can't confirm, but we'll see next week.

I'll be in Chicago in April, and was hoping to catch my first Hawks game when they play the Blues. I'll likely be alone.

Anybody have an opinion on the Standing Room Only tickets? I assume it's not worth it if you're alone and can't save a spot to stand. But just wanted to get some opinions. I don't have a problem paying $130 or whatever for a single upper deck ticket. But if I can pay $50 for SRO, and it's a good situation, I might as well save some money.

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 05:42 PM)
If you know that night you want to go to the game, just wait it out on StubHub. That's what I've done in the past and works fairly well. As many know, when you sell tickets on StubHub, you can set price drops at certain times that are automated, so if your tickets are still out there 4 hours before the game, they will start to drop in price based on your settings.

So wait it out, usually you can find a single ticket(seat) for 60-70 bucks.

Doesn't really answer your SRO question, but you should be able to get a seat.

That's perfect. I'd rather have a real seat anyway. I figured that Hawks tickets seem to be hard to come by, so there wouldn't be that usual price drop right before game time. In Atlanta (which is not a great sports town), for example, you can always find something decently priced before game time. I scalp tickets a lot. But I didn't know if it would be the same.

I'll definitely be in town, so I'll just plan on finding a ticket the day of. And if for some reason prices skyrocket, then that's okay too. I'll make it happen another time.

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 06:22 PM)
I feel like it's semi universal for every city, just more pricey in different areas.

I was in California for the Hawks-Ducks WCF last season. I knew I wanted to go, and planned on like I was going each game, but didn't have tickets. For the 3+ OT game, I actually bought tickets on my phone in the parking lot of the stadium from StubHub. I was behind the goal the Hawks shot twice at upstairs in Anaheim for like 65 bucks, and that was for the Western Conference Finals. I couldn't believe it.

That's awesome. What a great game to be at... I was in LA for the playoff series against the Kings 2 years ago. I should have tried what you did. I ended up watching most of the game from a bar at LAX. At that moment, I really regretted not staying an extra day and trying to go to the game. Pretty sure Kane scored with like 3 minutes left to send the series to Game 7.