Crazy Trade Deadline Predictions

Chisoxfn

White Sox listening to offers

Rosenthal also notes that it’s possible for the White Sox to add some pieces. He doesn’t specify the nature of the types of players they’d add, but presumably, given the mention of a three-year window, they’d be interested in acquiring players that can help them as soon as 2016-17. That could mean they’d look at doing something similar to the Red Sox’ 2014 approach of trading Jon Lester for Yoenis Cespedes. It could also mean that the Sox would prioritize MLB-ready assets over a higher-upside prospect that is further away from the Majors.

I like the idea of Jon Lester for Yoenis Cespedes type of trades... Any ideas on major league players we could trade for with this idea in mind?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 05:46 PM)
With the Braves moving to a new stadium in '17 I don't see them moving Simmons. I'd like to get Arenado from COL

Ha, I wish... best defensive 3rd baseman in baseball and this year he's been top 3 on offense. That would be something.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 07:06 PM)
Jose Quintana for Nolan Arenado.

Why would the Rockies trade their best player, nearly a superstar at a premium position...for Jose Quintana? How would that improve their future prospects?

It would also require sending Montas or Anderson along and probably even a lesser prospect.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 08:02 PM)
Why would the Rockies trade their best player, nearly a superstar at a premium position...for Jose Quintana? How would that improve their future prospects?

It would also require sending Montas or Anderson along and probably even a lesser prospect.

That's why it's a crazy prediction. Not nearly realistic lol.

I don't believe we're intent on trading Shark. As a perceived rental among other rentals he's not a highly sought after commodity. Quintana will be dealt in a package with Montas to Houston, Toronto, or Los Angeles. I'm not up to date on those teams full rosters and which players (particulary from their minor league systems) are expendable,, but it'll be following this order:

1 MLB bat, 1 Top 5 offensive prospect, 1 Top 5-10 rated pitching prospect

And years from now we'll be regretting dealing Montas. Also we'll resign Shark to a below market valued contract

Those are my predictions :D

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
I don't believe we're intent on trading Shark. As a perceived rental among other rentals he's not a highly sought after commodity. Quintana will be dealt in a package with Montas to Houston, Toronto, or Los Angeles. I'm not up to date on those teams full rosters and which players (particulary from their minor league systems) are expendable,, but it'll be following this order:

1 MLB bat, 1 Top 5 offensive prospect, 1 Top 5-10 rated pitching prospect

And years from now we'll be regretting dealing Montas. Also we'll resign Shark to a below market valued contract

Those are my predictions :D

I can't see any of that happening

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 05:46 PM)
With the Braves moving to a new stadium in '17 I don't see them moving Simmons. I'd like to get Arenado from COL

They may do it just to shed Johnsons contract. With Anderson going to the Braves it takes away some of the sting in them dealing away Simmons. Sliding Q between Teheran and Miller may be to tempting for them to pass up.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 09:02 PM)

1. Quintana + Anderson + Davidson for Arenado

2. Sale + Avi + Montas for Pederson, Puig, Urias and Seager

3. Shark for Pentecost and Hoffman.

4. Watch fans be flabbergasted at the whirlwind of moves.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 11:19 PM)

Crosses fingers for this to please happen

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 10:19 PM)

Should move Abreu too screw it!

All of this Arenado talk is silly. Not going anywhere. Still an interesting set of circumstances. This is an example of perhaps bringing him up too early in his rookie year (2013). Regardless, he is up for arbitration next year and his agent is Scott (Let me turn you over) Boras.

He is going to get a major contract out of the Rockies and the Rox will not trade Tulo. I really think they want to trade Cargo for pitching. Plus they have other cost controlled options in the outfield. Cargo will be available, I am sort of certain.

Edited by oldsox

Trade Alexei and John Danks for salary relief plus maybe a couple lottery ticket prospects, then either trade Samardzija for a good prospect or give him a QO in the offseason and take the comp pick (whichever looks better). DFA Bonifacio. Call up Erik Johnson and Noesi to fill out the rotation, let Beckham man SS, bring Trayce Thompson up to be a 4th OF. Play young guys the rest of the season, be bad, get another high draft pick.

Let KW go take over another franchise. Fire Robin. Fire Steverson. Fire Bell. Spend as much as necessary to bring in a coaching staff that will preach fundamentals and defense and something that resembles a prepared approach at the plate.

Edited by oneofthemikes

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 07:23 AM)
All of this Arenado talk is silly. Not going anywhere. Still an interesting set of circumstances. This is an example of perhaps bringing him up too early in his rookie year (2013). Regardless, he is up for arbitration next year and his agent is Scott (Let me turn you over) Boras.

He is going to get a major contract out of the Rockies and the Rox will not trade Tulo. I really think they want to trade Cargo for pitching. Plus they have other cost controlled options in the outfield. Cargo will be available, I am sort of certain.

My post was entirely facetious. I'd like to keep Sale and Q on the staff long term.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 09:47 AM)
Trade Alexei and John Danks for salary relief plus maybe a couple lottery ticket prospects, then either trade Samardzija for a good prospect or give him a QO in the offseason and take the comp pick (whichever looks better). DFA Bonifacio. Call up Erik Johnson and Noesi to fill out the rotation, let Beckham man SS, bring Trayce Thompson up to be a 4th OF. Play young guys the rest of the season, be bad, get another high draft pick.

Let KW go take over another franchise. Fire Robin. Fire Steverson. Fire Bell. Spend as much as necessary to bring in a coaching staff that will preach fundamentals and defense and something that resembles a prepared approach at the plate.

No one is giving you anything for John Danks. He will clear waivers in August and will wind up on the White Sox next year because the Sox aren't going to pay him to pitch elsewhere.

You might be able to get some salary relief for Alexei, but probably not much more than that.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 08:47 AM)

Danks and Alexei have more value to the Sox than anyone else. Perhaps the Pirates would have some interest in Ramirez if the Sox through in $1m for his buyout and took back some lottery ticket A baller in return. The Diamondbacks just dumped a similar salary in Bronson Arroyo and it cost them a pretty highly regarded pitching prospect, given that precedent I would hate to have to give up Spencer Adams just to dump some money. Trading Alexei gives the Sox a hole at SS, Anderson is at least another year away and in the meantime you would be running some combination of Sanchez, Johnson, Saladino, and Garcia in the IF, which will not net you any more production and will likely be a step back defensively.

I think KW is gone to Toronto at the end of the season, Robin will likely be promoted/re-assigned, and Bell will be back in his role as he has naked pictures of JR. Steverson takes a lot of heat, but a lot of that blame should go to the scouting and player development folks. They keep bringing in one dimensional players that do not fit Steversons philosophy and the results are ugly. He will likely be gone in a transition to a new manager, but there is a lot more wrong with offensive approach in this system than Todd Steverson.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 02:46 PM)
Any chance Pittsburgh would trade their competitive balance pick in return for Ramirez? I'd take that deal for the White Sox in a heartbeat. Those picks are released today.

I think Pitt clearly knows they need IF help, I have no idea what competition there is out there which could push the price down though. They definitely have the need and the room to add players, but if there's other middle-IF options out there they might wait a bit & see what the lowest priced object is.