The Teams in Front of us in the Wild Card

soxfan85

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 02:49 PM)
If they sweep Boston, with a middling Twins team playing the Pirates, we'd likely be within a game or two of the wild card.

Sweep another four game series in a row?

Danks vs. Joe Kelly

Shark vs. Miley AND Morton vs. Pelfrey

Q vs. Porcello AND Liriano vs. Erwin "Not Johan" Santana

Sale vs. Wright AND Mariners' TBA vs. Pelfrey

No Gerrit Cole for PITT.

Most likely scenario is 3-1 White Sox, 1-2 for the Twins, but still 3.5 GB in the Wild Card (just because it has to be, that's the same exact number of games we trailed the Indians when we made the White Flag trade).

That also means the Blue Jays, Tigers and Orioles among others would cease to exist. Although it's still possible the lead would be 3.5, we can't control what all those other teams are doing.

Yankees, by the way, have never lost a series at Target Field and have now won six consecutive series in a row.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 04:09 PM)
That's almost statistically impossible. I'd have to delve into the other teams schedules but I can safely say that won't happen. Even if they do sweep Boston, not happening.

We win 4 and Minnesota drops 2 of 3 to Pittsburgh would have them at 53-48 and us at 50-50. 2.5 back, 2 back in the loss column. Toronto is currently 2.5 back of Minnesota, 2 back if they hold on against Seattle. We'd still be close.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 04:10 PM)
Sweep another four game series in a row?

Danks vs. Joe Kelly

Shark vs. Miley AND Morton vs. Pelfrey

Q vs. Porcello AND Liriano vs. Erwin "Not Johan" Santana

Sale vs. Wright AND Mariners' TBA vs. Pelfrey

No Gerrit Cole for PITT.

Most likely scenario is 3-1 White Sox, 1-2 for the Twins, but still 3.5 GB in the Wild Card (just because it has to be, that's the same exact number of games we trailed the Indians when we made the White Flag trade).

That also means the Blue Jays, Tigers and Orioles among others would cease to exist. Although it's still possible the lead would be 3.5, we can't control what all those other teams are doing.

Yankees, by the way, have never lost a series at Target Field and have now won six consecutive series in a row.

We are only 2 games back of the Blue Jays (2.5 if the win, 1.5 if they lose today), who is behind the Twins. If we win 3-1 we won't lose any ground on those teams

I know we just swept the Indians and had the first glimpse of a functioning offense all year and we are thrilled with this. HOWEVER, is this not exactly like the Sox to go into a series against the BoSox where you have good pithcing matchups and against a team who has lost 9 of 10 (going into today) and somehow lose 3 of 4?

I hope everything works out and we win 3 or 4 this series.. but I've been burned too many times to expect more than a split.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 02:22 PM)
We win 4 and Minnesota drops 2 of 3 to Pittsburgh would have them at 53-48 and us at 50-50. 2.5 back, 2 back in the loss column. Toronto is currently 2.5 back of Minnesota, 2 back if they hold on against Seattle. We'd still be close.

See....this is how baseball gets a lot more fun, when you start looking at standings and considering the possibilities. AMAZING that after this sluggish start there is every reason to think things could turn around.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 05:19 PM)
Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 17m17 minutes ago

The surging #WhiteSox suddenly are just 4 games back in loss column to #Twins for 2nd wild-card, and 1 G behind #BlueJays,#Tigers,#Orioles.

9-2

1-6

4-0

We're surging? LOL. We've won five out of the last 11 games. I guess 14-8 overall is sort of closer to surging, though.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 09:04 PM)
It sucks the Sox have played the fewest amount of games in the league. They have the least information to make a decision about selling or not.

Meanwhile, the Tigers suck.

Thanks, Chicago weather!

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 09:06 PM)
I assume Tampa, Baltimore, and Toronto have a lot of games left against each other. Unless they split them all evenly , somebody has to win a majority of those, which doesn't help.

The schedule this year was like this in regards to playing in your own division:

First 5 weeks- 8 of 10 series in division

Middle 16 weeks- 8 of 32 series in division

Last 5 weeks- 8 of 10 series in division

So May 11 to August 30 is a balanced league schedule for all intents and purposes.

The Orioles and Rays play each other this week. After that, they've all played each other until they get to the last five weeks of the season.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 09:10 PM)
Thanks, Chicago weather!

And they only have one game that hasn't been made up. So it's just been more off days to this point than most teams.

I think the trade deadline should be when most teams have 54 games left. A third of a season is a good number.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 09:16 PM)
And they only have one game that hasn't been made up. So it's just been more off days to this point than most teams.

I think the trade deadline should be when most teams have 54 games left. A third of a season is a good number.

Which game hasn't been made up?