worse loss of the year

harkness99

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 11:59 AM)
Garcia simply hasn't been the same player since he hurt that knee in Oakland. He was off to a very good start. You wonder if something is still wrong with it.

Mark

I still say this is exactly the same Garcia we've seen since he arrived in Chicago, there's just a book out on him now.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His pitch selection is just embarrassing. Pick any spot out of the zone and throw it to him 4-5 times. He may hold off 1-2 times, but he'll swing at the rest of em.

Ugh, Carlos at bat in the 9th was so impressive too. I really am impressed with him.

Our next 15 games are huge. They will determine everything. Need to take the next two from the Rays (who actually since Mid June have one of the worst records in all of baseball), head to KC and not sh*t the bed like we always do against them. Would ideally like to take 2 of 3 -- but even I am a mental midget against them. I just assume lay down and take our series loss. Head to LAA. 7 of the following 10 are against them. These are BIG BIG BIG. They have been scuffling of late. 10 days ago we all thought the only WC spot up for grabs was the last one -- not so much anymore. Oh, and also 3 against the Cubs in there. Those are always big in terms of momentum. Get through that stretch and be 4-5 games back still? I'd take it. Anything better I'd be ecstatic.

We follow with 10 against SEA and BOS. So there's hope outside the next 15 if we can make it through.

All of that being said -- I still maintain what I said in beginning of June - this team will be 81-81

Pile on Avi time!

There are 159 qualifying hitters in MLB.

Avisail Garcia is 152nd in Zone%, or percentage of pitches thrown to him that are in the strike zone.

He is 2nd in Swing%, or percentage of pitches thrown to him that he swings at.

Not a good combination. Nobody throws him strikes because he'll just hack away at anything. He had actually started to show progress on that last year, but it's completely fallen apart.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 12:48 PM)
Pile on Avi time!

Avisail Garcia is 152nd in Zone%, or percentage of pitches thrown to him that are in the strike zone.

Not a good combination. Nobody throws him strikes because he'll just hack away at anything. He had actually started to show progress on that last year, but it's completely fallen apart.

Great stuff, thanks.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 06:48 PM)
Pile on Avi time!

That can't be corrected in the big leagues. Send him down for the rest of this year and all of next season

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 02:46 PM)
That can't be corrected in the big leagues. Send him down for the rest of this year and all of next season

I don't know that he'll be able to correct it in the minors. He was able to hammer pitching in AAA his last year there because he is able to make contact on a lot of swings; the pitchers weren't good enough with either control or stuff to beat him. Now that he's in the big leagues the pitchers are able to spot stuff better and they're no longer giving him pitches that he can easily handle with his approach. The end result is that he's swinging and missing or making weak contact all the time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 01:53 PM)
I don't know that he'll be able to correct it in the minors. He was able to hammer pitching in AAA his last year there because he is able to make contact on a lot of swings; the pitchers weren't good enough with either control or stuff to beat him. Now that he's in the big leagues the pitchers are able to spot stuff better and they're no longer giving him pitches that he can easily handle with his approach. The end result is that he's swinging and missing or making weak contact all the time.

So how do you fix it? But my biggest question is Is he aware of it and working on it? The way he acts sometimes makes me think he thinks he's a star. I can't disagree with your thoughts. I think you're correct but if he is to be what this team's hoping him to be then he needs to spend all his time with the batting coach and thats not saying anything about his fielding.

QUOTE (AlSoxfan @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 04:18 PM)
So how do you fix it? But my biggest question is Is he aware of it and working on it? The way he acts sometimes makes me think he thinks he's a star. I can't disagree with your thoughts. I think you're correct but if he is to be what this team's hoping him to be then he needs to spend all his time with the batting coach and thats not saying anything about his fielding.

I don't know if he can be fixed, a lot of guys with talent never are. My belief is that the only way he'll ever have success is if he faces big league pitching but he'll never have success against big league pitching with his current approach and swing.

His swing is entirely inside-out, which means he can take an outside pitch and bloop it to right field or bounce it up the middle, but he is totally unable to pull the ball with authority, so even if you make a mistake out over the plate to him he will not hit it out of the park. The only mistake zone is high and outside where he can line it the other way, if you keep the ball down, inside, over the plate, or out of the zone, he can't do any damage.

Last week someone suggested having him open up his stance. I think that seems like a very good idea, it could force him into a position where he has to turn on the ball middle/in and drive it to LF with authority. If you sent him down to AAA or to Winter Ball with that swing reconstruction in mind, that could be a successful path, but no guarantee it works - it could take him from a .270 hitter with little power to a .200 hitter with more power. He also needs to either be more selective and change his thought process or see the ball better from the pitcher's hand, I don't know what his problem is there because I've never worked with him. Could be both.

To your bigger question, I also have no idea if he's actually working on it. His approach doesn't seem like it's changed one bit this year, including either his batting stance or position at the plate. I'm sure he works with the hitting coach but they may think all he needs is mental tweaks or more practice and IMO that will not work.

Personally though my favorite plan is still "40 pushups every time you hit the ball to the right side". It really can't hurt.

Can't we have a AAA pitcher throw him 100 fastballs above the zone so he can just watch them go by. Then have another pitcher do the same thing? Then have some pitchers throw 100s of fastballs outside for him to watch? I just don't think he knows the zone. Big problem.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 10:09 AM)
The Shark getting blasted for 9 run and Sale getting blasted and a bullpen that can't seem to hold onto a lead. Robertson is really scuffling and I wonder if it's confidence lost or more? Relief pitchers have fragile egos. Last night was a heartbreaker. I wouldn't have sent Ramirez and MLB network showed the play and pointed out Ramirez broke back to second to make sure the ball didn't get caught. Once he did that McEwing should have held him. Aggressiveness can work to your advantage and against you too. This one didn't go our way. Carlos Sanchez almost tied it anyway with that liner to right. The kid has really started to show some promise with the bat. With all the bad we have seen since our 7 game winning streak this team is still only 3 1/2 out of the wild card

Robertson hadn't pitched in six days. Hard to stay sharp when you have extended periods off. Ventura should have used him for an inning or two in the Yankee series. He's a good closer...on a team that doesn't give closers much chance to earn their money.

Mark

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 01:32 PM)
Personally though my favorite plan is still "40 pushups every time you hit the ball to the right side". It really can't hurt.

Actually it probably can hurt. One reason Avi can't turn on the ball is because he has a huge upper body and is terrible at short arm hitting ( pulling your hands in, bending your arms to get the barrel on the ball to drive it while still keeping it fair.)

That's why I suggested he open his stance because the way it is now he's too big too pull it. He's what the old time baseball coaches feared about weight lifting , getting too muscle bound . He need to lose upper body weight and become more flexible . Adding the pushups would only prevent him from pulling the ball even more.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 05:36 PM)
Actually it probably can hurt. One reason Avi can't turn on the ball is because he has a huge upper body and is terrible at short arm hitting ( pulling your hands in, bending your arms to get the barrel on the ball to drive it while still keeping it fair.)

That's why I suggested he open his stance because the way it is now he's too big too pull it. He's what the old time baseball coaches feared about weight lifting , getting too muscle bound . He need to lose upper body weight and become more flexible . Adding the pushups would only prevent him from pulling the ball even more.

Ok, a hard running set :)

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 09:42 PM)
Can't we have a AAA pitcher throw him 100 fastballs above the zone so he can just watch them go by. Then have another pitcher do the same thing? Then have some pitchers throw 100s of fastballs outside for him to watch? I just don't think he knows the zone. Big problem.

i like that idea and i am sure, the coaches has a better idea what to do to further his training.

however that is in spring training.