Eddy Alvarez

ron883

Anybody else really excited about this guy? I know he is 25, but it means little in this case IMO. He has so little baseball experience, yet he is an unbelievable hitter so far. The guy gets on base like none other. Do the sox have a special player here?

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 10:35 AM)
Anybody else really excited about this guy? I know he is 25, but it means little in this case IMO. He has so little baseball experience, yet he is an unbelievable hitter so far. The guy gets on base like none other. Do the sox have a special player here?

I wouldn't call him special because defensively he remains a huge work in progress. He definitely has skills that cannot be taught: speed and patience at the plate. Hopefully, he finishes up strong in High-A and plays in the AFL. He is way more advanced than anyone could have imagined after taking significant time off.

His season is extremely encouraging, but as always, the more he produces against better competition, the more excited I will get. He definitely has gone from a organizational player to legit prospect though.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)
I wouldn't call him special because defensively he remains a huge work in progress. He definitely has skills that cannot be taught: speed and patience at the plate. Hopefully, he finishes up strong in High-A and plays in the AFL. He is way more advanced than anyone could have imagined after taking significant time off.

His season is extremely encouraging, but as always, the more he produces against better competition, the more excited I will get. He definitely has gone from a organizational player to legit prospect though.

Even defensively, it's mostly mental. He told us that it was the unexpected mental toll that baseball takes. He also said all throughout his baseball career he's prided himself on defense so he's working on fixing it. He does have great defensive tools.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 05:04 PM)
Does anyone know what kind of arm he has? We all know about his other tools but I'd be interested to know what scouts say about his arm on 20-80 scale

Watched him play, but he only made a couple throws. Seemed plenty strong enough arm-wise for short. Talking to a scout, he said he's got the arm for short, but it's not a strength for him either. I'd say he's average-ish arm-wise at SS.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 09:25 PM)
Watched him play, but he only made a couple throws. Seemed plenty strong enough arm-wise for short. Talking to a scout, he said he's got the arm for short, but it's not a strength for him either. I'd say he's average-ish arm-wise at SS.

He's probably a 2B long-term. The big league club would tell you that being a solid 2B isn't nothing to sneeze at. Then again, that could be Tim Anderson's spot for a while.

• 4 weeks later...

Through 33 games at A+ he's hitting .319, .412 OBP, .877 OPS, 19 walks to 17 strikeouts. He was 42 of 50 in SBs at A, but only 11 for 18 at A+. This dude has game. Is his physical advantage that great over these kids he's playing against at A+? He is more physically mature, but he has less experience in baseball than all the guys he is playing against/

QUOTE (ron883 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 10:47 PM)
Through 33 games at A+ he's hitting .319, .412 OBP, .877 OPS, 19 walks to 17 strikeouts. He was 42 of 50 in SBs at A, but only 11 for 18 at A+. This dude has game. Is his physical advantage that great over these kids he's playing against at A+? He is more physically mature, but he has less experience in baseball than all the guys he is playing against/

Well, he is an Olympian, so supposedly his only peers athletically could be the current big leaguers.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 10:47 PM)

I would guess that his biggest advantage comes between the ears. First off, the guy has succeeded against the best in the world in his former sport. He has to have a level of confidence going into baseball that not many others have. Second, with speed skating being his other sport, his sense of the speed of the game must be much better than his peers. Think about the level of reactions and error he is used to in speed skating. Baseball is probably a much slower sport for him, allowing him a much better sense of reaction time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 02:51 PM)
I would guess that his biggest advantage comes between the ears. First off, the guy has succeeded against the best in the world in his former sport. He has to have a level of confidence going into baseball that not many others have. Second, with speed skating being his other sport, his sense of the speed of the game must be much better than his peers. Think about the level of reactions and error he is used to in speed skating. Baseball is probably a much slower sport for him, allowing him a much better sense of reaction time.

excellent point

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 04:23 PM)
I think he starts out in AA as well, does well and works his way up as a September call up next year if everything goes right.

why????

go to spring training, work on some stuff coop wants and lets see how he does.... start off where he is at and then AA.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 09:56 AM)
why????

go to spring training, work on some stuff coop wants and lets see how he does.... start off where he is at and then AA.

Coop wouldn't be one of Alvarez's coaches. Eddy isn't going to be in the big league's next year, but it is important to get him experience in AA. See how he's doing in spring and how his game comes across (give him some time at big league camp) and then decide whether a short stint in high A makes sense or if you just fast track him to AA. I think it is more likely he gets play at AA (with Anderson being in AAA). Rondon would repeat high A.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 05:59 PM)
Coop wouldn't be one of Alvarez's coaches. Eddy isn't going to be in the big league's next year, but it is important to get him experience in AA. See how he's doing in spring and how his game comes across (give him some time at big league camp) and then decide whether a short stint in high A makes sense or if you just fast track him to AA. I think it is more likely he gets play at AA (with Anderson being in AAA). Rondon would repeat high A.

oh shiite.... i got my head my arse.... i don't do pain too well.

i was thinking of Fulmer.

i guess it will help if i can read.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Sep 7, 2015 -> 05:21 PM)
I'm convinced this guy has major league talent. I think him an Tim Anderson will be the starting infielders in 2017. I am really excited about him and our system in general. Much improvement

If Eddy Alvarez, after 33 games at A+, is starting in the majors in 2017, either something has gone horribly wrong or a minor miracle has happened. I think he's an overlooked prospect because of his age by some, but that's an incredible jump to make.

Frankly, if Eddy Alvarez makes it to the majors, it'll be a success.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 7, 2015 -> 06:30 PM)
If Eddy Alvarez, after 33 games at A+, is starting in the majors in 2017, either something has gone horribly wrong or a minor miracle has happened. I think he's an overlooked prospect because of his age by some, but that's an incredible jump to make.

Yeah, people need to slow their roll on Alvarez. Let's have him do something at the upper half of the majors before we start talking about the majors.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 7, 2015 -> 06:30 PM)

The guy has more walks than strikeouts in his minor league career. Given how little experience he has in baseball, that is pretty amazing. I don't see his bat falling off the face of the earth as he rises up through the minors.