Could White Sox trade some pitching to fill other areas in offseason

Whisox05

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
I could see the rumors already of Dombroski going after Sale this winter after what he said at his press conference earlier this week.

*rolls eyes*

The Red Sox cannot and will not produce a package that is equal to or greater than Sale's enormous value.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 01:18 PM)
*rolls eyes*

The Red Sox cannot and will not produce a package that is equal to or greater than Sale's enormous value.

I think they have the best shot out of any team though. Bogaerts and Betts would start the deal off and add 4-5 more players after that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 01:44 PM)
The Cubs would have to take from their major league roster, and I don't see that happening as easily.

The Red Sox, who would probably have a hard time trading guys like Bogaerts and Betts, would have to do so as well, FWIW.

edit- meaning they won't want to let go of them, just like the Cubs won't want to trade their mlb talent

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 01:46 PM)
The Red Sox, who would probably have a hard time trading guys like Bogaerts and Betts, would have to do so as well, FWIW.

edit- meaning they won't want to let go of them, just like the Cubs won't want to trade their mlb talent

I believe the Red Sox still have some their top bullets in the minors though, correct? Don't they have a big time catching prospect, plus Yoan Moncada? That is a good starting point.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 02:04 PM)
I can't imagine the team trading Rodon. If some one has to go, trade Q and get a haul for him, but leave Rodon alone.

Rodon might be the one guy who could bring a higher return than Sale simply because of control and contract situation. Even if not, his price is nearly impossible to meet unless you are starting with a Kris Bryant or Carlos Correratype of player.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 01:18 PM)
Rodon might be the one guy who could bring a higher return than Sale simply because of control and contract situation. Even if not, his price is nearly impossible to meet unless you are starting with a Kris Bryant or Carlos Correratype of player.

No way. Sale is super-affordable and people know what he can do. Rodon is a great prospect but he's not anywhere close to the other prospects you mentioned.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 03:48 PM)
Realistically, the only way we trade a Quintana is if we resign Samardjiza.

Can we resign Samardjiza to a friendly contract and then trade him? Yeah I would like that best.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 03:18 PM)

Rodon would not bring a higher return than Sale until he establishes he's a dominant starter right now. If he puts up an ERA of 2.75 next year, then we can talk. Until then he's still a work in progress with dominant stuff.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 03:52 PM)
Can we resign Samardjiza to a friendly contract and then trade him? Yeah I would like that best.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 03:52 PM)
My guess is he takes the one year QO, unless he goes on a hella run the last two months.

Extend the QO. If Samardzija rejects, that's fine, take the comp pick. If he accepts, the Sox can trade him over the winter or the 2016 trade deadline.

The only downside to him accepting is that the QO will cost somewhere around 16M+ , which is kind of expensive for a pitcher that's basically an innings eater at this point.

If for some reason Samardzija accepts, I really hope another team is willing to take a chance on Danks for one season. This would open up a slot for EJ.

Shaping up to be a rather interesting winter.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 12:02 PM)
Quintana and Montas for Arenado- who says no?

I think that's a slightly better deal for us, but I could be wrong.

The Rockies do.

That would be a good move for the Sox.

We don't have that much pitching. And for sure don't trade it for the usual Williams/Hahn suspects.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 03:48 PM)
Realistically, the only way we trade a Quintana is if we resign Samardjiza.

Why?

He's the guy we should trade before Rodon. His value is much easier to ascertain and he would bring back substantial pieces.

Do we have to have a "proven veteran". Exactly how has that approach worked for the last decade.

And if we trade Rodon it damn well better not be for some career year hero that people are all ga ga about.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 04:41 PM)
Why?

He's the guy we should trade before Rodon. His value is much easier to ascertain and he would bring back substantial pieces.

Do we have to have a "proven veteran". Exactly how has that approach worked for the last decade.

And if we trade Rodon it damn well better not be for some career year hero that people are all ga ga about.

How would you replace two starters from this rotation?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 05:43 PM)
How would you replace two starters from this rotation?

Over how long of a time period? Because in the next ~1 season I've got Erik Johnson, Carson Fulmer, and Francellis Montas.

That probably doesn't give me a strong 2016 rotation. But it could give me a dynamite 2017-2019 rotation.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 03:52 PM)
My guess is he takes the one year QO, unless he goes on a hella run the last two months.

Even if it's lower AAV, I can't imagine a guy in his 30's wouldn't take the guaranteed money he would get with a multi year contract.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 04:51 PM)
Even if it's lower AAV, I can't imagine a guy in his 30's wouldn't take the guaranteed money he would get with a multi year contract.

With so many quality FA pitchers available, Samardzija just might need to take the QO in an effort to rebuild his value to get the big contract he seeks. Right now, he's not even worth the 5/90M he rejected from the cubs.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 05:06 PM)
With so many quality FA pitchers available, Samardzija just might need to take the QO in an effort to rebuild his value to get the big contract he seeks. Right now, he's not even worth the 5/90M he rejected from the cubs.

He's still a >2 WAR pitcher. He still has value even if it's not worth what he thinks it is. He could just as easily destroy his value next year by sucking as he could rebuild it by rebounding a bit. For a guy who will turn 31 next year, it would be crazy not to take the maximum total dollars he can get this off season IMO.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 04:49 PM)
Over how long of a time period? Because in the next ~1 season I've got Erik Johnson, Carson Fulmer, and Francellis Montas.

That probably doesn't give me a strong 2016 rotation. But it could give me a dynamite 2017-2019 rotation.

I'd be willing to take that risk of gambling with two slots in our 2016 rotation if we can further develop Fulmer and Montas in preparation for 2017. It would be the most intelligent move made by the organization in years. Sale/Rodon/Danks/Johnson/Whomever won't win any titles, but having Quintana and a similar lineup as this season won't either.

Quintana almost has to go. I'd be disappointed if he remained for another season, which lets be honest -- 2016 will more than likely be another mediocre season. We should all be estatic to be trading from a position of strength. If Quintana could land us one quality ML player and one top ten offensive prospect, I'd jump all over it. By the time either Fulmer or Montas (perhaps both) are ready we could have one hell of a rotation in 2017. We'd just have to be willing to throw caution to 2016, which I know many on here will make excuses to explain why it would never happen