Fox Lake Cop shot and killed

Brian

If it comes out it was a cover up and/or suicide, I'll be the first to say I was wrong and be shocked. I'm just giving the benefit of the doubt to the cops up here. Maybe I'm blind.

I was talking to my dad about the suicide theory and he said family's do not get money for suicide or pension. Not entirely impossible he lied about the 3 and went out and killed himself so his family got money. I don't know.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 07:34 AM)
If it comes out it was a cover up and/or suicide, I'll be the first to say I was wrong and be shocked. I'm just giving the benefit of the doubt to the cops up here. Maybe I'm blind.

I was talking to my dad about the suicide theory and he said family's do not get money for suicide or pension. Not entirely impossible he lied about the 3 and went out and killed himself so his family got money. I don't know.

I thought the suicide angle was extremely far fetched at first but now it seems like that is making a whole lot more sense. There is no evidence of the suspects on any of the nearby cameras in the area? Not a glimpse? He was shot with his own gun while he is chasing three suspects? How does that make sense? Unless he accidentally shot himself.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 07:34 AM)

What would you be wrong on? After the Texas shooting this case became a lightening rod.

The fact this could be a suicide is really sad.

I just dont see how(if it was a suicide) any officer could walk up to him and see his body, and then concoct a story that would bring in the FBI and US Marshalls, as well as blocking off the entire area for hours. It just seems way too crazy to be true.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 10:16 AM)
I just dont see how(if it was a suicide) any officer could walk up to him and see his body, and then concoct a story that would bring in the FBI and US Marshalls, as well as blocking off the entire area for hours. It just seems way too crazy to be true.

Why does any cop lie about any story? Protect a colleague? Denial?

You don't want to ruin your buddy's name so you make up a story about 3 suspects, it starts spiraling out of control, but it's too late to turn around and say you lied. It sounds very feasible to me.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 10:22 AM)
Why does any cop lie about any story? Protect a colleague? Denial?

You don't want to ruin your buddy's name so you make up a story about 3 suspects, it starts spiraling out of control, but it's too late to turn around and say you lied. It sounds very feasible to me.

the 3 suspects were decribed by Office Gliniweicz as he was going after them. I understand a lie can spiral and get out of control, but do you honestly believe that it would have gotten past the FBI and other officers viewing the crime scene, to the point where the next day they are sending out Marshalls door to door to ask people if they saw anything?

Its really strange, the entire thing. Im not completely ruling out suicide, I just cannot imagine that other branches of the law would be playing this up still to this day.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 10:36 AM)
the 3 suspects were decribed by Office Gliniweicz as he was going after them. I understand a lie can spiral and get out of control, but do you honestly believe that it would have gotten past the FBI and other officers viewing the crime scene, to the point where the next day they are sending out Marshalls door to door to ask people if they saw anything?

Its really strange, the entire thing. Im not completely ruling out suicide, I just cannot imagine that other branches of the law would be playing this up still to this day.

All the of branches of law have been pretty quite throughout this whole thing. Almost like they have been suspecting things not adding up as well but want to be completely sure before they make a claim as big as that.

I just read a trib article where there is a small paragraph indicating that Gliniewicz was involved in the removal/retirement(possibly forced) of a his police chief. So thats kind of a strange thing to throw in there

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/lake...0909-story.html

Also Wednesday, the village released a statement saying that, at the time of Gliniewicz's death, the village had been in the process of conducting an "inventory review" of Police Department procedures and equipment that was prompted by former Chief Michael Behan's retirement Aug. 28. Gliniewicz had "participated in this process," the statement said.

Behan had announced his retirement shortly after he was placed on leave as part of an internal investigation into how police handled a December 2014 arrest. Behan said this week that he chose to leave because it was time and that no one forced him out.

I dont know what to think anymore. this whole thing is crazy

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 10:16 AM)

Is there any actual news or evidence for this, or is this just a lack of news turning into idle speculation?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 12:20 PM)
Suicide.

It started up because of this quote:

But the coroner said Wednesday he can't finish the autopsy report until he receives further information from the police investigation.

lRelated More videos, DNA analyzed in Fox Lake manhunt

"As it stands now, I cannot give a manner of death because I don't know what happened in terms of where did this bullet come from," Rudd said. "Right now, all unnatural deaths are up for suggestion. That means homicide, suicide, accident, undetermined."

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 05:17 PM)
Torso doesn't seem like a smart way to commit suicide

No it doesnt.

But since he is a Cop its feasible that he would know what they would be looking for and if he wanted to make sure his family got his pension he would make sure that it looked like he was murdered.

I am really curious what type of evidence they do have that would be consistent with there being three guys. I would think that there would be tracks from then running into the swamp area. There should be something if there really was three guys that would indicate their presence. There seems to be nothing at all.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 06:17 PM)
Torso doesn't seem like a smart way to commit suicide

Suicide by definition isn't a rational act, so expecting people to behave rationally while doing it is a mistake. That said, I'd have expected some sort of forensic evidence of a gun being at close range if he were shot in the torso at close range, wouldn't I? Your body would be exposed to all of the gas and residue coming directly from the gun.

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 05:10 PM)
Lake County major tasks force is saying that the Coroner is jeopardizing the investigation by giving too much information out to the public.

This case just keeps getting crazier and crazier.

Here is the nbc article I mentioned earlier. http://www.nbcchicago.com/investigations/L...-326100651.html

Does it not seem like the coroner told them that yeah it's probably suicide but just don't say it yet. Particulary this since they focus on the murder/killed quote and called it "telling". Either way seems like the coroner and police are very much at odds.

Life insurance does not cover suicide right? Any chance police would cover it up so the family sees benefits? I imagine thone are pretty good for an officer killed in the line of duty.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 05:43 PM)
Does it not seem like the coroner told them that yeah it's probably suicide but just don't say it yet.

he's favoring homicide "Based on the evidence gathered so far, I still am favoring homicide,” Rudd said. “But it's still an open investigation.” - http://www.nwherald.com/2015/09/10/fox-lak...mments/anc64cl/

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 05:23 PM)
Suicide by definition isn't a rational act, so expecting people to behave rationally while doing it is a mistake. That said, I'd have expected some sort of forensic evidence of a gun being at close range if he were shot in the torso at close range, wouldn't I? Your body would be exposed to all of the gas and residue coming directly from the gun.

Well thank you for pointing out a perceived mistake

A few interesting things here, I think suicide can for the most part be ruled out. Unless he tried to shoot himself and hit the bulletproof vest, and then tried again and shot himself below the vest

The officer was killed by a single "devastating gunshot wound" to the torso, Lake County Coroner Thomas Rudd told CNN Thursday.

And he was wearing a bulletproof vest at the time, according to two law enforcement officials briefed on the investigation. One of the officials said Gliniewicz was hit by two shots -- one that was stopped by his bulletproof vest, and another that entered his torso at a downward angle.

The officer's .40-caliber pistol was found at the scene, Filenko said last week. A source involved in the investigation has told CNN that Gliniewicz's gun was fired, but it's not clear who pulled the trigger.

The Lake County Sheriff's Office said Thursday that evidence indicates more than one shot was fired, but investigators can't comment on the exact number, which remains "confidential information critical to the investigation."